Gigabyte lops the six-pin power plug off its GeForce GTX 950

Gigabyte is introducing a low-power GTX 950 that doesn't require a six-pin PCIe power plug today. This GTX 950 follows similar cards from EVGA and Asus, who have already announced their entries into the power-sipping GTX 950 arena. Gigabyte sets apart its black marvel by highlighting its fan design and OC Guru II software.

The card's half-length, full-height, dual-slot form factor is similar to the other low-power GTX 950s we've seen. It has a single 90-mm fan with ridged fins that purportedly increase airflow by 23% over smooth fins. The card is rounded out with a comprehensive port selection includes HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI-I, and DVI-D outputs.

Gigabyte's OC Guru II software offers a clean-looking grid-based UI for its various controls. It provides the expected tunable options for core clocks, memory speeds, and fan profiles.

Cooler and software aside, this GTX 950 is pretty standard fare. Its GM206 GPU is paired with 2GB of GDDR5 RAM operating at 6610MT/s. Gigabyte lets owners choose between two clock speed ranges: an "OC Mode" with 1051MHz base and 1228MHz boost clocks, plus a less-aggressive "Gaming Mode" with a 1026MHz base clock and an 1190MHz boost speed.

• ronch

Good grief. Looking at that card makes me realize it’s about as long as my HD4670 from 2008. Both requre no aux power but just imagine how much more powerful this card is compared to the HD4670.

• ronch

One thing I look for when buying a graphics card, and which I truly appreciate, is low power consumption. Given how GPU makers can just cram in as many ‘stream processors’ in there as their process node allows, power consumption (and of course, price) can quickly shoot through the roof. In my opinion, graphics horsepower should be powerful enough to game well on but power consumption should still be modest.

This realization started when I got a cheap but fast Palit HD4670 back in 2008 to replace my 1-year old Gecube X1950 Pro. The X1950 Pro was a good deal longer than the svelte Palit and required 2 x 6-pin aux power (it ran hot!) while the HD4670 required none. But the kicker was how the HD4670 even edged the X1950 Pro quite a bit when pushing pixels, which made me really love my HD4670 that I got a second one of the same exact SKU for another PC we have here. To this day it has earned its place in my cold heart.

I look at today’s big-gun graphics cards like the 390 and 970 and think how nice they could run the latest titles (not that I’m fond of any of the latest titles; I mostly stick with old titles so my current HD7770 is way more than enough). But would I put up with their power consumption? No. These low-power 950s however, really catch my interest because they remind me of my HD4670s and how they make my HD7770 (which requires 1 x 6-pin aux) seem like my X1950 Pro next to the HD4670. Would I grab one of these 950s? No, but they’re on top of my list if I decide to get a 7870-class graphics card. By the time I want to buy a new graphics card however, I’m sure Pascal and Polaris would be out already and I can get more stream processors in a card with no aux power. Let’s hope Pascal vs. Polaris will be a good fight to watch.

• south side sammy

……….. and you’ll have to be using DX10 for those cards to work. Right now it’s impossible to find an r9 290 or 290x so I can use it on my XP machine or on my Vista machine. That is the fastest card that will work on either. The 960 is a joke at high res for maxing out games. That’s the fastest card available on the green team for those opsys’s. Would be nice to have the red and green support one of the newer cards just once and put together a driver that really works.
      It’s as if we’re being herded into the Dx10 corral. Not someplace I’m heading.

• ronch

Forced obsolescence. Gotta love how they want us to buy new stuff all the time. Now imagine if the oil companies keep revising their formulas so older cars wouldn’t run on them anymore and you’d have to shell out for a spunky new ’16 model that won’t blow a cylinder when you feed it ’16 gas. And no, you can’t sell your old set of wheels either because no one would buy them.

Thing is though, as long as these new cards support my OS (Win7) I should be fine. Not even sure which DX I have but DX7 and DX8 titles run just fine on my HD7770. Sooner or later though, they’re gonna stop supporting Win7 and I’m dead. I totally have no love for anything after Win7. Unfortunately Win7 is next on the chopping block.

• south side sammy

where I said Dx10……….. I meant Windows10. Sorry.

This Microsoft guy has something sinister up his sleeve. I don’t trust him./

• jessterman21

Yep, me too. My first gaming card was an HD 5670 and I loved it.

• anotherengineer

but but but……………………….my 850W PSU!! ;(

• Srsly_Bro

Should have spent the extra $$ for the 1kw PSU.

• anotherengineer

Need a split receptacle to run dual 1.5kW PSU’s 😀

Because you never know when you will need 200 Amps @ 12V 😉

• just brew it!

No problem.

[url<]http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-A2021-Beverage-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B0002F8WLM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8[/url<] If you're not a smoker, get one of these too, and plug it in to the above adapter: [url<]http://www.amazon.com/Decker-TC212B-Travel-Cooler-Warmer/dp/B0013AV9B0/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1460086665&sr=8-15[/url<] Yeah, you might need to use up all of your drive bays and buy multiple TEC beverage coolers to fully utilize that 850W PSU, but hey... can't let that extra PSU wattage go to waste!

• anotherengineer

lol nice.

I actually have a seasonic fanless 460W platinum psu.

It’s just it seems like every time I see builder forums it seems people are recommending PSU’s 600W and up!!

• Flapdrol

Yeah, these cards are not an option, the psu will die of boredom.

• tipoo

“Bronze rating means that the PSU is rated for at least 82% efficiency at 20% load, 85% at 50% load, and 82% at 100% load”

So if you’re running at half its peak you at least get 3% more efficiency, so that’s…Something 😛

• nanoflower

As I read over on Jonnyguru some PSUs fail to meet their rating when run at under 20% load which shouldn’t be a surprise since it’s not part of the 80+, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum rating system.

• tipoo

What I just quoted said 20% is part of it.

[url<]http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/how-does-psu-efficiency-affect-me-and-do-i-really-need-an-80-plus-gold-power-supply.129456/[/url<]

• Waco

*under 20%*

Not that it really matters how efficient your PSU is at 5-10% load…the waste heat would be what, a few watts?

• anotherengineer

Ideally 50% load is about the best efficiency for PC PSU’s and should get good life since there is less heat compared to 100% load.

When people ask me what size PSU, I usually estimate/look up reviews for idle watts and load watts. And make sure idle is at least 20% load and there is at least a bit of room at full system load. A lot of people seem shocked when a 400W psu is the answer a lot of times.

• south side sammy

I bet if a lot of people would get one of those electric load meter monitors ($20) that you plug into a wall socket and then plug your pc into, the 1000 watt power supply sales would drop off a cliff really, really quickly. I found that I haven’t hit the 350watt mark in my gaming machine. And as time goes by the power efficiency of hardware is only going to get better………… now to get those PS manufacturers to put an adequate number of 6/8pin connectors on their “low” watt PS’s…………

• vargis14

5 years ago when I selected my Corsair 850 watt PSU for my 2600k and 560tiSLI build I was told way it was overkill by many, even though i was going to Overclock everything. I am sure glad I did since I did upgrade to 2 SLI’ed EVGA GTX770 Classified 4GB cards, that substantially upped my power usage.

But I started early with the hypothesis that if I get a PSU that has tons of overhead and may only get maxed rarely at 70% capacity it will last longer with less chance of failure.
      So far a ton of builds later and I have never lost a PSU or had any PSU related problems. I figure the cooler stuff runs the longer it will last.

• south side sammy

now is a good time to test them against the “old” cards and see what happens with and without manual over clocking. Also will be able to see if the non “powered” models take a dump before the old cards.
    like to see more in depth about what’s actually on the pcb. this might point towards some future hardware developments, be it ever so small.

• Duck

Runs as fanless at idle?

• divide_by_zero

Purportedly.

• meerkt

Prediction for next week: MSI releases GTX 950 that doesn’t need external power.

• EndlessWaves

Prediction 2: Lots of tech sites make news posts about it, but nobody tests the power consumption.

• Khali

Welcome to the post Scott Wasson Tech Report. Little or no in depth testing or reviews. Just regurgitated press releases from manufacturers or reworded stories from other sources.

• ImSpartacus

Yeah, we’ve gotten a whole lot of nothing interesting. I don’t come here to read the same standard reviews.

I want to see something better.

Even Anandtech wimped out on their Skylake BLCK OC article (overclocking an obscure 35W part? Really?). There’s a window to do a whole lot better and it costs like $120 for the chip and another $120 for the mobo.

There’s a ton of room to do better SSD endurance testing. I don’t want to see tests on one SSD of a particular type. Why not 3-5? Cheap 120GB SSDs [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/internal-hard-drive/#t=0&sort=a7&page=1<]cost <$60[/url<] and it's the cheap weird ones that I want to see tested, not the expensive Samsung or Intel SSDs. I can get the same boring bog-standard reviews anywhere. But weird stuff like that? No one else is doing that.

• nanoflower

Are these units even available for review? They may not be which would make it very difficult to review them. Then there’s also the question of is time better spent reviewing 950s without power cables vs something else like advanced GPUs that tend to be of more interest to the typical TR reader.

Would I love to see more detailed content? Yes. Scott was burning the midnight oil and the candle at both ends to put out detailed content and it showed but it also burnt him out so I don’t expect a return to what we saw in the way of output last year.

• Shobai

well, no: [url<]https://techreport.com/news/29865/msi-releases-a-pair-of-power-sipping-geforce-gtx-950s[/url<] Raymond missed this in his EVGA news post also. He linked the Asus news, but not the MSI.

• meerkt

Prediction for the week after the next: everyone releases GTX 950 with no external power needed.

• ronch

Oops, looks like you beat me to it. 🙂

• Raymond Page

Shobai, I did indeed miss the TR MSI GTX 950 low-power post. I recalled TR having covered it, but I somehow missed it when rifling through the site history.

• Shobai

Not a worry. I’d meant to comment on the EVGA post but was on my lunch break at the time and didn’t get back to it.

• ronch