Deals of the week: SSDs, GeForces, and more

Look in my eyes. Relax and take a deep breath. Now look at this swinging pocket watch. Can you read the time? Your eyelids are starting to get heavy. Now repeat after me: you want new hardware. You would love to upgrade your computer. That's right, you need a new graphics card and a bigger SSD. Now open your eyes slowly, and look at these deals here.

• Spring is in full swing, and so is NAND flash manufacturing. Mushkin's Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD is on sale at Newegg for $209.99. That's just 21 cents per gigabyte, which is a pretty sweet deal.

• Mushkin's offensive isn't over, though. Newegg is offering the Mushkin Enhanced ECO3 480GB SSD for a mere $99.99. That's right, a single Benjamin buys enough SSD for a big slice of your Steam library.

• If you have enough disk space in your PC but not enough RAM, G.Skill has just the thing. There's an 8GB kit of G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 (2 x 4GB) on offer at Newegg for $30. They're rated for 2,400 MT/s, too. For next to nothing, you can buy RAM for your main PC, for your HTPC, your NAS box, and all your pets.

• Nvidia has been in the news lately, and today its cards are on the menu, too. The Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Xtreme Gaming Edition, proud owner of one of the longest names ever, is on sale at Newegg for $599.99. This card offers three sets of core clocks. The "Gaming" mode's 1000MHz base and 1075MHz boost speeds are the most sedate. "OC" mode turns the screws to 1026MHz base and 1114MHz boost speeds. Pressing the "LN2" button enables an even higher 1102MHz base and 1178MHz boost profile. In keeping with its name, the Xtreme Gaming GTX 980 Ti has plenty of RGB LED lighting on tap, too.

• If your budget doesn't quite stretch as far as a GTX 980 Ti or you simply want something a little more sensible, Newegg has a Zotac GeForce GTX 950 2GB for only $129.99. That's a pretty amazing amount of graphics power for not much coin.

• You got the graphics card, now you need the monitor to go with it. Asus' PB278Q is a 2560×1400 PLS monitor with a maximum brightness of 300 cd/m², 100% sRGB coverage, and built-in speakers. It comes with a three-year warranty, too. This monitor doesn't have high or variable refresh rates, but it ought to be color-accurate and can be yours for $369.99 at Newegg.

• Many people enjoy gaming on the go, and we have a laptop that's just the ticket for that. The Asus G751JT-WH71(WX), as it's affectionately known by its school buddies, is a 17.3" laptop with a Core i7-4720HQ CPU clocked at 2.6 GHz base and 3.6 GHz turbo speeds. The 1080p G-Sync display is driven by an Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M with 3GB of RAM. The machine comes with 16GB of RAM on tap as well as a 1TB HDD for storage duties. This machine can be yours for $1099 from Newegg.

When I snap my fingers, you'll wake up from your trance. Should you have encountered any other deals in your mental voyage, be sure to post them in the comments section below.

• anotherengineer

[url<]https://techreport.com/news/29961/rumor-nvidia-to-launch-gtx-1080-and-gtx-1070-at-computex?post=973421#973421[/url<]

• backwoods357

That laptop perfectly meets my requirements except for a touch screen. All I ever see is 960’s paired with touch or 970’s without.

• Raymond Page

backwoods357, check out the 2016 Razer Blade – [url<]http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade.[/url<] 4K Touch Screen w/ GTX 970M and i7–6700HQ Quad-Core Processor with Hyper-Threading 2.6GHz / 3.5GHz (Base/Turbo). If you need a 970 + Touch screen, there you go.

• gbcrush

[quote<]Now repeat after me: you want new hardware. [/quote<] [i<]....wait a year...wait a year...wait a year...wait a year...[/i<] Dang you! I was totally going to say "Wait a year" to myself over and over again, but your pocket watch + yoga voice approach necessitated it now. 😀 ...some fantastic looking deals there!

• SecretMaster

I can’t wait to see what 1TB SSD prices will be like in a year. I’m guessing around ~$150.00 . I don’t know when I’ll upgrade/build a new machine. All I know is that the 500GB HDD I bought in 2010 cost me ~$220.00 back then. Granted 6 years now is a long time in terms of tech, but it still is neat for me to think about. Plus thinking about how today’s CPU’s/GPU’s compare to my Core i5-750/ Radeon 5850 combo.

One more year. I’ve been saying that for several years now. Maybe it will actually be time.

• hansmuff

The 5850 was a great card, but wow yeah, an upgrade now would probably blow your mind. I’m holding out for Zen, Kaby Lake and whatever AMD and NV have up their sleeves next. 2017 will probably be a good year to retire the 2600k, although.. it still is fast..

• Goty

I’m still on my i7 920 D0 and 5870, so I feel your pain! The new Tomb Raider won’t even launch on my setup, so that’s fun.

• Srsly_Bro

I got my 920 C0 to 4.4 GHz for some benches. How’s your D0?

• superjawes

A 500GB hard disk was $220? In 2010?

• DPete27

I’m assuming he meant SSDs, however, [url=https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=78533<]in 2012[/url<] SSDs cost about $1/GB. Wasn't until [url=https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=91942<]about 2014[/url<] when they hit $0.50/GB

• SecretMaster

Nope, looks like I had some serious dementia. I checked my invoice and I paid $80 for a WD 640GB in 2009.

Way to ruin my narrative jerk.

• willmore

144MB in ’93 for $330 for calibration.

• JustAnEngineer

[url=http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/seagate/ST157N-0-49MB-3-5-HH-SCSI1-SE.html<]47 MB[/url<] in '87 for $450.

• DPete27

[quote<]Newegg has a Zotac GeForce GTX 950 2GB for only $129.99.[/quote<] Or you can get the [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487156<]EVGA GTX950 KR[/url<] for $10 less ($120 after MIR) The EVGA card has 100MHz higher base and boost clocks compared to that Zotac. And a free game! That's the lowest price on the Asus PB278Q that I've ever seen, and I've been watching it for over a year.

• willmore

Plus, EVGA has a better reputation than Zotac.

• morphine

Och, we missed that one. Thanks!

• I.S.T.

Yeah but that free game is buggy and bad.

• faramir

You don’t have to play it 🙂

• Voldenuit

[quote<] Yeah but that free game is buggy and bad.[/quote<] I saw your post and thought, "how bad could a game be if someone is complaining about a free game?" Then I went to the 'egg and saw that the free game was [i<]Bombshell[/i<]. Ouch.

• JustAnEngineer

Or you could get it for [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600582123%20600007782&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30<]$120[/url<] without the mail-in hassle.