Corsair Spec-Alpha chassis gives PCs an angular showcase

It seems geometric styling is becoming the fashion in cases of late. Corsair's contribution to the trend is the Carbide Series Spec-Alpha ATX mid-tower chassis. This case pairs an outlandish exterior with an open interior design that omits 5.25" drive bays in favor of improved airflow. That's a choice I hope makes its way into more cases.

I wasn't kidding about the styling. Those are three pictures of the same case, to be clear, illustrating all three of the Spec-Alpha's available color schemes. The chassis supports up to five 120mm fans. Corsair populates four of those fan mounts out of the box. Builders can put up to four 2.5" storage devices and up to three 3.5" disks inside, too. The front panel puts USB 3.0 ports and audio jacks front and center, along with controls for the Spec-Alpha's included three-speed fan controller. The case is available now for $79.99.

There is obviously a market for cheap, run-of-the-mill steel ATX towers adorned with more plastic chintz than you can shake a stick at, otherwise companies wouldn’t continually be releasing uglier and chintzier cases all the time.

It would be super cool if they went [b<]full retro[/b<] and made an ATX case that was maybe [i<]nice[/i<]. Perhaps if they used something other than cheap flimsy steel and gloss plastic, and made them look less fugly, people would even be prepared to *gasp* [b<]spend some more money![/b<] But clearly I'm mad. No tech company has ever managed to sell an expensive, well made, minimally-styled product because people don't want to invest in nice things, we obviously just want more angular, garish, cheap plastic tat.

• VinnyC

Perhaps you should check out some of Lian-Li’s products?

I used to be a huge fan of Lian-Li but they always seem to miss the mark these days.

Looking through their homepage for cases, it’s easy to rule out a lot of them from silly design choices; the verdict I have to arrive at is that they don’t really know what they’re doing so they’re just experimenting with everything, rather than looking critically at the market (and reviews) and seeing what does and doesn’t work these days.

• Redocbew

Fractal Design has some pretty nice minimalist cases also. I bought a Node 304 a few months ago which is pretty awesome.

• tootercomputer

My first impression is that this is really really ugly. But I have to wonder if it looks better than captured by the picture. I’ve had lots of hardware that looked a lot better in the flesh (so to speak) than in the picture. My new Gigabyte z170 Gaming 7 mobo has a similar color scheme mighyt look pretty cool in this thing actually.

• Redocbew

“Better” is relative. Their product photos would have to be amazingly awful in order for this thing to look good in person.

• Voldenuit

Yeah, these things never look good.

Even the ASUS ROG borgship case looks cool in product photos, but looks like a cheap piece of sh- in person.

• Redocbew

It’s not the color scheme that kills it for me, but just the styling in general. It’s been a long time since I was a teenager, so I don’t want something that would look at home in a teenagers bedroom.

Almost hard to believe this has a spot in Corsair’s lineup when compared to some of their other cases.

• Thresher

Good God that thing is ugly. I really don’t like this. At all.

• DrCR

Large/Standard cases without 5.25″ bays make no sense to me. (And the bit about airflow is invalid.)

• Wonders

[quote<]Pointy elbows and lots of lightning! Edgy and angry, so zesty and tangy! There's new demographics When nobody asked for it![/quote<] Source: [url=http://www.homestarrunner.com/aprilfool10.html<]Xeriouxly Forxe[/url<] We get older but they (marketers) stay the same age.

• flip-mode

I am a huge fan of the understated look so these are full-on repulsive to me. There must be a lot of people out there that do not feel the same. Corsair cases starting to look like NZXT.

• rxc6

I understand where you are coming from, but the S340 deeply resents your comment 🙂 .

• christos_thski

All these angled designs only remind me that it’s now 10 months since Corsair made all their hullabaloo about Corsair Bulldog. Are they ever going to deliver on that, or are they going to keep trotting it out every computer expo? It’s becoming a joke.

• takeasneededforpain

It’s the “Duke Nukem Forever” of cases.

• chuckula

Don’t make me go hipster and start building custom beige boxes with vestigial floppy drives & turbo buttons!

[Edit: Not to mention a two-digit seven-element display that shows the clock speed in MHz except that it overflowed multiple times and just shows 00 permanently!]

• Khali

I am real close to tearing apart an old AT system for its case and trying to convert it to accept modern hardware. The closest I can with up to date cases is an HTPC case and none of the current offerings match up to what I want.

• JMccovery

Ah, I remember those displays. Had a case with a three-digit display (max of 199MHz).

Used it to show my non-techie friends that my “75MHz Pentium” (was a MMX-233) could play games better than their prebuilt 133MHz Pentium machines.

*sniff* Makes me miss the days of Turbo buttons.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]Don't make me go hipster and start building custom beige boxes with vestigial floppy drives & turbo buttons![/quote<] I loved what this guy did: [url<]http://imgur.com/a/fvh1M[/url<]

If the fans that came with my 380T and my H60 are any indicator, just throw out the included fans. Clicky-click-click gets super annoying. You can get much quieter PWM-equipped ones from CoolerMaster for not a whole lot of money – around $10 a piece.

Well worth the cost: [url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K63550115[/url<]

• biffzinker

I vote for ball bearing fans over sleeve bearing.

• synthtel2

I prefer the [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186033<]Arctic F12 PWM[/url<]. They're some of the cheapest hydraulic bearing fans around, and they're aerodynamically sound (good airflow/noise ratios). They don't do static pressure quite so well, but they're still great for most air coolers. They've been my go-to cheap fan for a while now, and in my experience they've been perfectly reliable. I'll definitely second that Corsair fans are meh. All of them I've seen (only the ones installed by the factory in Corsair cases, to be fair) have had sub-par aerodynamics, and about half have either had an annoying click or been noisily unbalanced.

• biffzinker

[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Cougar+case+fans&N=-1&isNodeId=1<]NewEgg Cougar Case Fans Search[/url<]

• synthtel2

^ this guy’s also got the right idea. Cougars cost $15 instead of $10, and I’m not sure that their reliability is any better than Arctic’s, but they are noticably better than Arctic (and even Noctua) on aerodynamics.

To round out my usual list of fan options, Noctuas are the most indestructible fans around, but they’re expensive (~$25). They’re great at absolute airflow/pressure/noise ratios, but the noise they make tends to be a bit more tonal than Arctic or Cougar stuff (and the Noctua S12A specifically is not great – AFAICT, they biased it too much for airflow over pressure and the blades aerodynamically stall if there’s even a touch of backpressure, which includes most case fan applications).

• takeasneededforpain

• tay

Wow. ttt because this needs moar recommends.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]Ugh. It looks like a Transformer raped a space heater, and this is the unholy offspring.[/quote<] Worse, a [i<]Michael Bay[/i<] Transformer.

• Ninjitsu

You know, if you wrote “had sex with” instead of “rape” I’d be much more comfortable with the comment appearing on TR’s front page – unfortunately I think it gives a really wrong impression of what other people in the community (like me) think is a nice way to talk, or the general maturity level here.

• Growler

Or “made sweet, sweet love to”. Reproduction doesn’t have to be so soulless.

There’s no way a space heater could give consent, so it’s rape.

• Redocbew

Your mom thinks I’m plenty mature.

• way2strong

How does his comment reflect on you in any way?

• Shobai

I guess there’ll be different idioms for different people groups, but where I’m from it’d be either “getting tarred with the same brush” or “guilt by association” – I think that’s what he means.

• Wirko

The men and women of this town finally decided to change their town slogan, now it’s probably something like Land of Having Sex And Honey.
        [url<]http://www.darpanmagazine.com/news/national/saskatchewan-town-tisdale-votes-to-change-land-of-rape-and-honey-slogan/[/url<]