SteelSeries Apex M500 keyboard goes back to basics

The past few months has produced a rash of glitzy RGB LED keyboards with all sorts of weird shapes and lighting systems. It's a little refreshing, then, that the just-released SteelSeries Apex M500 keyboard keeps things comparatively simple. The company actually jokes a little about this, saying that "products shouldn't look like they came through a portal from the future."

The Apex M500 is a full-sized mechanical keyboard with blue LED backlighting. There are no jet-fighter angles here: the design is minimalist and down to the point. That's not to say this keyboard is average, though. The switches under the keys are Cherry MX Reds: lightweight, linear switches that many gamers prefer.

The keyboard's underside has been equally though-out. The rubber feet are oversized and adjustable, and there are three separate cable gutters. SteelSeries' Engine software makes another appearance, providing players with game-specific profiles and macro recording functionality. The SteelSeries Apex M500 will be available soon at Newegg and the SteelSeries website for $100 (or 120€ in Europe).

• ldonyo

SteelSeries killed my favorite keyboard, the Stealth MERC (which they acquired when they bought Ideazon), and left what was some pretty decent mapping software, Z-board, out to rot. I will never forgive them for this and never buy one of their products because of it. That and their prices are absolutely ludicrous.

I have two, one I use and one for when the one I use dies. I love having the equivalent of a Nostromo on steroids attached to the left side of the keyboard, it makes gaming so much easier for me. I still suck at shooters, but it isn’t because I’m fumbling to find the key I need for a weapon.

It’s perfect: The layout, the switches, the lack of unnecessary decoration.

I could argue that the SS logo is a little large but it’s not ugly and it’s not backlit so it gets a pass.

• trackerben

though-out = thought-out

• hasseb64

Arm rest=no? –> Fail!

• mieses

Is the USB cable detachable? Are the keys readable in daylight when the backlight is disabled?

I like that they kept it simple and avoided the futuristic gamer decorations. It seems competitive with the Rosewill RK-9000V2 RE, which has a (poorly located) detachable USB cable.

• CuttinHobo

How’s this gaming keyboard supposed to be taken seriously without a camo paint job?

A true innovation for a gaming keyboard would be for the keyboard’s software to analyze your gameplay and really reduce a common gamer’s workload by spouting adolescent insults – real zingers, mind you – in the game’s chat upon successful completion of a teabag maneuver in any online FPS match.

Naturally when it detects your character’a demise it will aid the player by automatically accusing the opposing party of one of a long list of offenses, including but not limited to: aimbot, wallhax, godmode, familial sexual tendencies, and of course homosexuality.

• ImSpartacus

So we have to get Microsoft’s Tay in our keyboards?

Love it.

• CuttinHobo

Hah, I had missed that bit of news about Tay. Looks like Microsoft is a step ahead and has already completed their development of a chat assistant for Xbox One users. It can be tedious typing insults out on a gamepad.

• Welch

While I do love a clean simple/classic look with function being the key element. I think it a bit funny that while this is a “back to the basics”, it really isn’t. You have Cherry MX switches, the look is simple and “basic” but then you add LEDs.

I think their comment “products shouldn’t look like they came through a portal from the future.” is an opinion, one I typically agree with… Yet, I don’t feel like a lot of the keyboards some manufacturers have come out with lately look like they are from a portal. Unless they are suggesting the RGB is what makes it look like that. Which is a crappy excuse to not put RGB on your keyboard to allow users to chose the preferred color.

• Acidicheartburn

I like the simplicity, but $100 for this still seems high.

• jessterman21

True – seems like those LEDs should be RGB at that price. Still – very nice, I’d have a hard time not buying one at $80.