Updated: Oculus significantly delays many Rift pre-orders

It seems like the TR staff may have been lucky to get our Oculus Rift when we did. Today is the day that Oculus promised to update order statuses for Rift pre-orders, and it would seem that many woke up to bad news in their inboxes. The r/oculus subreddit is aflame this morning with tales of early pre-orders being bumped one to two months from their original projected ship dates. So far, Oculus hasn't offered a reason for these delays, but it would seem the "unexpected component shortage" that the company originally offered as the cause of slow pre-order fulfillment is more severe than one might have thought.

The news may not be good for backers of Oculus' Kickstarter, either. In another post to Reddit, the company claims that it's set aside a "separate allocation" of the headsets for its Kickstarter backers. Even so, shipping projections for those folks have been switched to "TBD." The company says it's fulfilling Kickstarter rewards at a "regular cadence," and it claims to have fulfilled a "large number" of those rewards already.

To be fair, Oculus didn't charge pre-order buyers in advance for their Rifts, so it's not like the company is holding money hostage as it sorts out its supply chain. All that's really at issue is buyers' disappointment that Rifts won't be in their hands sooner. Still, this troubled launch is hard to watch for a platform that's still finding its legs. We'll be keeping our ears open for an official statement from Oculus on these issues.

Update 4/12/2016 12:10 PM: Oculus provided the following statement to Polygon regarding the company's revised shipping dates:

The component shortage impacted our quantities more than we expected, and we’ve updated the shipment window to reflect these changes. We apologize for the delay.

We’re delivering Rifts to customers every day, and we’re focused on getting Rifts out the door as fast as we can. We’ve taken steps to address the component shortage, and we’ll continue shipping in higher volumes each week. We’ve also increased our manufacturing capacity to allow us to deliver in higher quantities, faster. Many Rifts will ship less than four weeks from original estimates, and we hope to beat the new estimates we’ve provided.

• Krogoth

#firstworldproblems

/thread

• Prestige Worldwide

#notimpressed

/thread

• Krogoth

Here comes ebay scalping a.k.a PS3 launch hype.

• Laykun

This is excellent news for scalpers that got in super early with a pre-order. The current prices on ebay seem to be highly inflated for a CV1.

• south side sammy

I think most people should be used to manufacturers hyping a product and giving what they probably even think as “hopeful” release dates. Look at the graphics card industry for Pete’s sake.
    I don’t take anything for granted anymore. and yes, it is annoying.
    I bet 50 grand Oculus will be one of the first VR providers to tank.

• CScottG

I’ve had mine for 2-weeks.

..this was for being an original backer and presumably for responding to their email fairly promptly asking me if I wanted one.

-realistically though, because it’s basically a freebie to people like me, I think they should have gotten all the paying pre-orders shipped first – and then filled-in their gratis “orders” afterward.

• Namarrgon

I was a Day-1 backer myself, still waiting for mine.

In fact, I’ve heard nothing from them since March 16, not even delay advice, and the ship date on my preorder is still “TBD”. Who knows when I’ll see anything from them. Hard to be upset when it’s a total freebie though.

• chuckula

Wasson’s tweet reminds me of why they changed the name of that street that was named in his honor in KC.

You see, people kept dying whenever they attempted to go from one side of the street to the other side. It’s because [b<][i<]NOBODY CROSSES DAMAGE AND LIVES.[/i<][/b<] Just sayin' Occulus types.

• Meadows

Do you sometimes get the feeling you’re trying too hard?

• mcnabney

Anyone know what component(s) are constrained? Only the screen makes any sense, but Facebook’s clout should have been able to secure anticipated production slots.

• anotherengineer

USB cords 😉

• ztrand

There was someone on reddit anonymously claiming to work for oculus who said the reason Oculus wont give any information is that the contract with the supplier specifically states Oculus may not in any way provide information reflecting badly on the supplier.

If true, it explains the silence. However it would have to be an extremely important supplier for anyone to sign such a contract. Maybe Samsung with the screens?

• Namarrgon

Unverified “insider” [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4ei5vx/this_is_what_went_wrong_with_the_launch_insider/<]claims[/url<] their allocation of Xbone controllers & wireless dongles never showed up. Oculus have already laughed it off as [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4ei5vx/this_is_what_went_wrong_with_the_launch_insider/d20kary<]"fanfic"[/url<].

• ztrand

Yeah I saw that. It’s just as unverified as the previous claim. Of course Oculus would brush it off, that really doesnt tell us anything.

I’m pretty sure we’ll know the reason eventually. Personally I dont really care why it’s ben delayed, I’m mainly curious as to why Oculus wont explain themselves.

• Namarrgon

Most likely contractual requirements to say nothing bad about the supplier. It’s a not uncommon clause.

I agree they could have been more open about their status, even if it’s just a regular “making progress on the shortage, can’t give anything firm yet”. Palmer has said he doesn’t want to say anything that he can’t be absolutely certain about, and I’m sure that there’d still be unhappy people about vague answers, but even that’s better than no answers.

• drfish

A friend placed his order within the first minute, was updated today with a 4/25-5/5 window.

• ImSpartacus

They probably had enough for the press and that was it.

And yeah, they know who the press are. It’s not like you can buy these things anonymously.

• mkk

VR will remain in its early access stage for 12-24 months anyway. Patience, beta grasshopper.

• Srsly_Bro

Pre-alpha

• Pax-UX

Totally agree! Not enough games or productivity apps out yet. VR could change how people work if the right tools get developed. Massive online IT work force can all share cloud space in VR worlds interacting with people. Working from home or office makes no difference as all stuff gets done in virtual space anyway…. Cyberspace here I COME!!! well in a year when v2 is released. Right now Vive is more interesting to me.

• Duct Tape Dude

On one hand, maybe we should’ve expected a former Kickstarter project would be among the most disappointing product launches of all time.

On the other hand, I hope people cancel their orders so mine arrives sooner! [b<]Go Vive! Rift stinks! Cancel your preorders everyone! Stick it to Palmer, Carmack, and Zuckerberg and cancel today! Facebook and Oculus are literally [s<]Trump[/s<] [s<]Hitler[/s<] Comcast![/b<] [i<]*Impatiently waits for May*[/i<]

• Anovoca

if only they had a way on kickstarter to gauge how many people were interested in a Rift prior to trying to launch them

……oh wait.

• delsydsoftware

I’m not too surprised, to be honest. Shipping for the DK1 was so haphazard and slow that people were setting up spreadsheets of Oculus serial numbers so that you could predict when your order shipped. I think my DK1 took 2-3 months to ship in 2013, and those spreadsheets provided far more information than Oculus ever did about the shipping status of my Rift. Given, that was before the Facebook money came rolling in, but it still indicated that they were in a bit over their heads on the manufacturing and shipping/receiving side of things.

I had hoped that by now they would have learned their lesson and built up more of an inventory before shipping, but I guess not.

• Duct Tape Dude

Yeah not really surprised by the delays either, but you’d think at some point they’d be on point with communication. I do appreciate them canceling shipping charges though. That was a nice surprise apology.

• Visigoth

There’s something called patience in this world. Maybe those who are so easily agitated and frustrated by a lack of this, need to exercise it a bit more.

• SlappedSilly

I used to practice patience, but then they took out the bouncy cards and it’s not fun anymore.

• ImSpartacus

I think Mr Wasson’s email crystallizes the issuevery well.

If you’re an early adopter, you’re paying a lot of money to get something earlier than normal.

Everyone knows that vr 2.0 will be better/cheaper and have a more fleshed out software situation. But it’s a ways out.

If you get an oculus rift today, then you obviously think you can enjoy it today. So if you’re not getting it soon, then you start wondering why you paid so much to be an “early” adopter.

• DancinJack

To be fair, if your Rift hasn’t shipped, then you haven’t been charged. You paid a little bit of time to order, but that is all at this point.

• Namarrgon

Well, a) you haven’t paid yet, and won’t until it ships, b) you can cancel any time, c) you’re still an early adopter since the delay affects almost everyone, and d) what’s a few more weeks when it’s been four years in the making (been waiting since the 90s, myself).

• fellix

It used to be called “delayed gratification”.
      Legend has it, that the western civilization was built upon it and thus achieved high cultural status.