Shield Tablet K1 update 1.2 adds Vulkan and Android 6.0.1 features

Nvidia released firmware version 1.2 for the Shield Tablet K1 today. The two highlights of this release are support for the Vulkan API and a number of Android 6.0.1 changes. Those Android changes include repostioned landscape mode navigation buttons, updated emojis, a quick-launch camera feature that's invoked with a double-press of the home button, and a do-not-disturb-until-next-alarm mode.

Android security patches through March 1, 2016 are also included in this firmware update. Other minor-but-notable improvements include support for Android 6.0's Doze mode and enhanced memory compression. The full list of fixes and improvements is available on Nvidia's forums in this feedback thread. A follow-up release for this updated firmware is claimed to be in the works for older Shield Tablets, too. Nvidia says it'll arrive in a few weeks.

• swaaye

Do most games still target less than OpenGL ES 3.0?

• LostCat

Ahh I remember the good old days when almost everything on Windows still used GDI.

or was that two years ago?

• willmore

Interesting. The second developer release of Android N that came out today has Vulkan, too. Looks like Vulkan on mobile is heating up! Yay. As someone looking to get a new tablet this summer, I’m quite happy to see this.

Edited because fr500 is cranky.

• fr500

I guess you mean Vulkan 😉

• RoxasForTheWin

I want another shield portable with Pascal Power, although I’m not sure if they have sold enough to merit a new generation

• DoomGuy64

I don’t think they ever did. It was just an experiment to get into the mobile market, and promote their streaming services. I think it did well initially, having a monopoly on those features, but now competition has made it pointless unless you are still in the market for a tablet.

• Dano_Spumoni

Still waiting for the next generation Nvidia Tablet. It’s been so long I’m wondering if they going to skip the X1 and go directly to a Pascal based Tegra SOC??? The energy efficiency and performance increase of going to a 16nm FinFET SOC for the Nvidia Shield Tablet 2 would be worth it no?

• phileasfogg

You’re right, the Tegra-K1 (28nm) tablet has been around for a while.
      I wonder if they’ll announce the Tegra-X1 (20nm) tablet during or before the Computex event in June. That chip has the Maxwell GPU cores, so it will deliver significantly faster graphics benchmarks than the K1 tablet. The Tegra-X1 is already shipping in the Shield-Android-TV.

• NTMBK

I wonder if they’ll even bother making another tablet-focused Tegra. Android tablet sales haven’t exactly set the world on fire. I suspect that the next Tegra may be solely aimed at automotive and embedded.

• Dano_Spumoni

This is what I’m afraid of… Nvidia seems to have moved on to bigger and better things and doesn’t seem to interested in making new tablets anymore…