Asus puts software in control of three new gaming monitors

Three new gaming monitors—the MG28UQ, MG24UQ, and MG248Q—are joining the extended family of Asus gaming displays. These new displays have familiar specifications along with a few new tricks. All three monitors are FreeSync-enabled, and they also work with Asus' DisplayWidget Windows app. DisplayWidget lets users customize a number of on-screen display settings without actually fiddling with the monitors' controls.

The MG28UQ and MG24UQ are both 4K displays with maximum brightness of 300 nits. Fancy new features aside, that's where the similarity between these two ends. The MG24UQ is a 23.6-inch monitor with a 4K IPS display. It offers both DisplayPort and HDMI 2.0 inputs, as well as a pair of HDMI 1.4 ports. It comes with a typical 4ms response time, 60Hz refresh rate, a 16.7-million-color reproduction range, and 178-degree viewing angles.

The MG28UQ

Its sibling, the MG28UQ, is a 28-inch 4K display with the same inputs, as well as a pair of USB 3.0 ports. This display's TN panel is specced for a 1ms gray-to-gray response time. The larger MG28UQ can't boast the same off-angle image quality as its smaller sibling, but it has a 1.07-billion-color palette to make up for it.

The MG24UQ

The MG248Q is the odd one out. This 24", 1080p TN display appears to be a refresh of the very popular VG248QE, which first arrived some three years ago. It comes with DisplayPort, HDMI 1.4, and dual-link DVI inputs. To sustain sufficient brightness in its LightBoost mode, the MG248Q has a higher maximum brightness than the MG-series displays at 350 nits. We're pleased to see this display can perform the FreeSync dance over a range of 40-144Hz.

MG248Q 144Hz Freesync gaming monitor

Asus includes its GamePlus firmware-based overlays in all three displays. GamePlus now includes a timer and an FPS counter alongside the classic crosshair and grid overlays. GameVisual and App Sync, as well as the monitor's blue light filter, can be controlled from the new DisplayWidget app for Windows. No extra connection is required to support DisplayWidget, as its commands are sent over the Display Data Channel/Command Interface protocol in DisplayPort and HDMI.

The included stands support height, swivel, tilt, and pivot adjustments. If you need more flexibility, the bases can be removed to expose VESA mounts. The MG28UQ is available at Newegg for $549, but its smaller sibling isn't listed yet. The MG24UQ can be found elsewhere on the web for $399, though. ASUS says the MG248Q will be available later this month.

• MatthiasF

Why do these companies keep making 4k monitors without a quantum dot film?

The colors from the nanocrystals plus the 4k resolution bump to color as well, is a huge difference. If you could see the difference side by side, you would probably never buy a normal LED-only screen again.

But you only find quantum dot displays running 1080p these days and maybe 2-3 on the market.

What is holding back the transition? The film can’t possible cost that much more. The 28″ 1080P display I mentioned sells for $300 or so.

• gerryg

I’d love to see a TR system guide just for monitors. Maybe divide it up by gaming (freesync/gsync categories), media (photoshop, video, etc.), and all-around, and identify best monitors in each category by value, middle-of-the-road, and high-end as well as by size. doesn’t even have to be a review, but could just be a spec/$$ showdown.

• RoxasForTheWin

I was really hoping they were going to announce a free sync version of Acer’s Hb321hk (a 32in 4K monitor with gsync instead of free sync)
    Perfect monitor if they could pull that off

• magila

Damnit, the MG28UQ is soo close to being my perfect new monitor:

4K ✓
    28″ ✓
    Freesync ✓
    IPS [b<]X[/b<] Oh well, guess I'll have wait a while longer.

• PrincipalSkinner

4K on a 28″ screen is an overkill. I’d say you need at least 35″.

• Spyrano

Depends on your eyesight, and how close you are to the monitor. My older screen was a 25″ 1080p panel, and I could see the pixels. With my current 28″ 4K screen, I can’t see the pixels. Mission Accomplished.

• DPete27

27″ 1440p even has a slightly higher pixel density than 24″ 1080p. I do agree that 4k is best for 30+” screens, but that’s mostly because you have to factor in the GPU horsepower/cost needed to drive a 4k monitor in games. Take that out of the equation and I think most people would spring for a 4k monitor any day.

• rudimentary_lathe

I concur. I’m waiting for a 4K IPS monitor with FreeSync support that has a maximum refresh rate beyond 60Hz. I may be waiting a long time, it would seem.

In the meantime I’ve come close to buying the Asus MG279Q 1440p FreeSync display, but the quality issues have put me off.

• RdVi

By the time a perfect display comes out for me OLED will be on the horizon anyway…

My desired display is:

1440p
      27″
      Freesync up to at least 90hz
      VA

I don’t think there are any 1440p VA 27″ panels, so if a larger one comes out I’d settle for that if it’s not too expensive.