Google Chrome 50 drops support for Windows XP

Just this week we reported on the continued post-support life of Windows XP, and now Google is distancing itself from the aging OS, too. Version 50 of Google’s Chrome browser, which released yesterday, drops support for Windows XP as well as Windows Vista. Google is also putting support for older versions of Apple’s OS X on the end-of-life chopping block. Versions 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8 of OS X will stop receiving Chrome updates after version 49.

This end-of-life includes a pretty sizeable group of PCs. These OSes together account for about 13 percent of OS market share, according to Netmarketshare. Windows XP represents the lion's share of soon-to-be-unsupported Chrome users at about 11 percent. There's still some good news for people who are holding out on these outdated OSes, though—Chrome version 49 will continue to work with them for the foreseeable future. Google simply won't continue to release security and usability updates for the browser, cold comfort that may be.

Google announced the pending end-of-support for XP in April of last year, about a year after Microsoft ended support for the OS. Google provided a bit less notice for Mac OS X users. The end-of-support notice for those folks hit the Google Chrome blog in November.

• khelben1979

The Mozilla browser is going to get installed on all these computers which used to run Google Chrome after this.

I think Google is shooting themselves in the foot for doing this, but it’s not a big deal for most of us. Many companies can’t upgrade to any newer versions of Windows than XP to this day (and I’ve worked for one of these companies myself), because a lot of older software needs to be totally rewritten to work with newer versions of Windows, also emulation is out of the question due to performance and stability issues.

• Paine

“Google Chrome 50 drops support for Windows XP”

That’s fine. I can dig out my copy of NT 4.0 – with IE 2.0!

• Meadows

Well, the silver lining is that due to its popularity, Chrome should help Windows updates along noticeably now.

This is great. Now my kids’s school’s ancient PCs with an old, unsupported OS can run an old, unsupported browser other than Internet Explorer! 😀

BTW I want to be clear: this is the right move for Google. It’s just not going to affect the number of XP PCs on the internet.

• meerkt

There’s FF, and maybe others.

• LostCat

As other vendors follow suit it might (the latest Origin update reduced support for XP for example.) Give it a year or two and there might be nothing left supporting it.

• JustAnEngineer

There are still plenty of botnets that depend on XP.

• DreadCthulhu

Kind of surprised that they are dropping Vista support; sure it has a small market share, but even 1.4% of the desktop market is millions of computers, and it is really similar to under the hood to Windows 7 and later; I will be very surprised if the Windows 7 version doesn’t work just fine on Vista for the quite some time.

• TwistedKestrel

Still a bit ticked about Chrome dropping Vista early… IE 9 still gets security updates, even though using these days it will break some websites. Chrome 49 continuing to work is not “good news” – it’s worse than nothing as XP now has a large attack surface and is extremely vulnerable (though that’s not really Google’s problem since it was EOL’ed a long time ago after being on extended life support) and on Vista, all other browsers are now better supported.

Side note – why could I only download Firefox 43 directly, had to wait for the browser itself to download FF 45, and it wasn’t even a delta update?! (i.e. the browser “patch” and the full installer I downloaded were both 48 MB)

• meerkt

[url<]https://download-installer.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/releases/45.0.2/win32/en-US/[/url<] [url<]https://download-installer.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/releases/45.0.2esr/win32/en-US/[/url<] Not sure what's the difference between the ESR and non-ESR versions of v45.

• yuhong

Issues with SHA2 certificate signing with Authenticode.

• tsk

No one should be using XP anyways, I don’t give a s**t if some companies that’s too greedy to upgrade still runs it.

• Srsly_Bro

I have an XP VM. Sup?

• w76

Greedy? It’s business, cost/benefit analysis, don’t be a troll. The cost to upgrade things like our industrial saws to a new OS, some of them 15-20 years old, would be massive, assuming the vendor would even allow us to pay ourselves to update the control software. As it is, they work great and have another 10-20 years of life ahead of them.

Now, we do expect to have to run XP from a VM on modern hardware at some point in the future, but still. That’s a technological barrier we think our IT guy can easily cross, vendors still produce modern boards with all the right ports we’d need.

Nice to know you know our business, needs and risks better than us, though!

• BobbinThreadbare

I don’t know about greedy, but you shouldn’t need your saws connected to the internet I would think.

• albundy

i would not mind cutting his job to raise capital for an OS upgrade project. at least then i’ll be using an upgraded OS to find a new hire for less salary, lolz.

• ColeLT1

Agreed. The only way I would allow any XP machine on in building at this point, would be with no network connection (they can get on our guest network if they want, but not my network). We are almost done with our Win7 -> 10 desktop/laptop migration, at a company supporting over 5k employees. 0 XP (or anything pre 7) physical machines out there now. When I started 5 years ago, it was 100% XP and I swapped everyone to 7. Every win10 upgrade we do includes a HDD to SSD replacement.

We have 3 2000/XP/2003 VMs running legacy software (that does not exist anymore), users are already using new software, it’s historical data at this point, on a private network.

• Den1

A couple of our computers run a Win98 VM because of issues with the software on newer OSes. I know some computers used strictly for one piece of hardware (probably not internet access although I haven’t test) that are XP probably for similar reasons. Not like it really matters with these computers cause they’re only used to operate equipment and/or receive data from some specific equipment. I don’t really see the issue with using such OSes for such reasons.

I have seen some companies who really should upgrade though.