World of Warcraft’s Legion invasion arrives August 30

Blizzard's iconic antihero Illidan returns to Azeroth this summer.  The demon armies of the Burning Legion will invade on August 30, and pre-orders are now available. In this new expansion to the ever-popular World of Warcraft, players will have access to a new continent called the Broken Isles, a new hero class, and, of course, a new set of dungeons and raids.

The main draw of the expansion is probably the new demon hunter hero class. Like Blizzard's last hero class, the death knight, demon hunters start out at a high level in their own zone. That decision gives players fresh material for leveling and a quick path to the new max-level content. Demon hunters are highly-mobile melee fighters capable of metamorphosing into a variety of demon forms. At some undisclosed date before the expansion launches, players who pre-order Legion will be able to complete the demon hunter starting experience and join their guild members at level 100.

With the new expansion, Blizzard is also trying out a new strategy to reinvigorate the game's PVP system. This time around, your gear will only have a minor impact on your character's power. The game won't take into consideration the stats, enchants, or trinket effects on your gear. Instead, you'll receive a pre-determined set of stats designed for your spec and class. Those stats can be inflated a little bit based on your average item level. Players can also gain an edge over their opponents through a special set of PVP-specific talents. As players build up honor in the game, they'll get access to these new talents. Blizzard thinks that players can get too much of an advantage over others by accumulating high-end gear right now, and the goal of this new strategy is to level the playing field somewhat.

Players can pre-order World of Warcraft: Legion in one of two online options: Standard Edition and Digital Deluxe Edition. Those who pre-order the $50 Standard Edition can immediately boost one character to level 100, and they'll get early access to the Demon Hunter. With the $70 Digital Deluxe Edition, players not only get everything in the Standard Edition but also a variety of in-game goodies, like mounts for both Legion and Heroes of the Storm. In order to play, you'll need to have purchased the vanilla World of Warcraft and the recent Warlords of Draenor expansion, and you'll also need to maintain a monthly subscription.

• cheddarlump

Used to play Vanilla all the time. Then, it became work to play. Grind, repeat, grind, repeat. If you had any life at all, you stopped being able to keep up with your guild, and were left behind. Then I realized I was PAYING $15 to have a second job, and quit. I still miss the crazy town raid shenanigans, big in game meetups, and actually HARD raids.. I am even somewhat nostalgic for the in game places. I simply can’t justify another $50, plus past expansions, for the opportunity to pay $15 a month to work again though. Period.

Sorry WoW, you were fun, but I’ve moved on. It’s too bad I heard about that recent crack down on the unofficial vanilla servers, I’d probably pay $15 a month for that.

• Krogoth

It just shows how much Activision-Blizzard has alienated its die-hard crowd who there from the beginning.

They have a bloody gold mine on their hands if they provided their own in-house vanilla that servers that be pitched as “Classic” mode. Idiots.

• Kretschmer

Girlfriend was away a few weeks so I tried the latest WoW expansion.

The entire thing seemed to revolve around upgrading and sitting in my “fortress”, which looked like a giant hole in the ground surrounded by huts. Quests contained far too many set pieces with NPC allies and timers instead of exploration. They also wanted me to complete a huge grind just to fly.

Heroic and LFR content was faceroll this late into the expansion, and doing tough 5-man or raid content would require scheduling life around a video game.

I pre-purchased Legion to cap a character, so I might give that a shot. Or maybe not. The model/style of the franchise has worn so thin now that there isn’t much appeal.

• Krogoth

USS World of Warcraft is sinking slowly. Die-hard fanboys are starting to go elsewhere for their MMO fix while causal crowd haven’t gone back in a while.

• not@home

My cousin had Warcraft II and we played it all the time when I was in high school. When I turned 21 Warcraft III came out and I bought it. That night my PC died before I was able to install it (remember the bad Chinese capacitor days when your power supply would turn your entire PC into a flaming ball of destruction?). It took a few months for me to save up some $ to build another PC, and by the time I did, I had moved twice and I lost the game. I am sure one of my ex-roommates had stolen it. I have never touched anything Warcraft related since.

• Crackhead Johny

WoW has been a very profitable downhill series of mistakes for a long time.
    PvP was never about PvP. It was about bullying. People who wanted real PvP were off playing something talent based rather than gear based/level based.
    WoW at this point is just the result of giving the loudest complainers what they want. They have been doing it for a very long time. Make it easier, less effort for everything, everyone gets an award. The “squeaky wheel gets the oil” meets “It is better to have people believe you are an idiot that to open your mouth and prove them right”, now the squeaky idiots are getting all the oil.

The real problem with making something new, is inside Blizzard I’m sure the WoW team fights tooth and nail to undermine or kill any projects that might steal some of their player base. Meanwhile the WoW team can’t do anything new and good as they live in fear of the complainers. More pablum, more easy loot and effortless wins. Find something challenging? Complain and wait for the nerf cycle. Eventually it will be a single player game where people still pay a monthly fee.

The other problem is that Blizzard desperately needs someone else to come out with an amazing new MMO so that Blizzard can rip it off. Blizzard are not creators, they are copiers who add polish/balance. Think of them as Zynga, only with loyal fans.

• Sencapri

“This time around, your gear will only have a minor impact on your character’s power. The game won’t take into consideration the stats, enchants, or trinket effects on your gear. Instead, you’ll receive a pre-determined set of stats designed for your spec and class.”

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!! Item dependent games totally suck for PVP. I’ve only played wow during the vanilla era 2004-2005 but I loved it when everyone only had dungeon raid sets of armor instead of epic raid sets of armor. Everyone basically had the same blue tiered armor which took any stat advantage increase out. It became skill based instead of a 1 million hour grinding armor/weapon ftw game. I loved world pvp and Alterac valley so much. When legendary and super epic raid armor came out, it totally ruined it for pvp. Same thing happened to Ultima online. Game was totally skill based and the armor/weapons had no 50% advantage over another. But then everything changed in a lame expansion that made it completely gear based. You had to go grind “Doom” which was a community raid to gather epics and made the game suck major @$$.

• Topinio

“Players can also gain an edge over their opponents through a special set of PVP-specific talents. As players build up honor in the game, they’ll get access to these new talents. Blizzard thinks that players can get too much of an advantage over others by accumulating high-end gear right now, and the goal of this new strategy is to level the playing field somewhat.”

All good if it’s just honour so available for BG players, not restricted to Arena and RBG premade groups.

Wow is just so tired now; Can we have a Starcraft MMO yet, or something based on one of their new Overwatch IP even?

I’m still up for MMO gaming and Blizzard proved they can do it the best, but [b<]OMG I'M JUST SO SICK OF WARCRAFT AFTER 22 YEARS OF THE SAME GODDAMN THING :([/b<]

• Vhalidictes

I sure hope Bobby Kotick is reading comments like this one.

World of Starcraft. Take My Money. Force Blizzard to do this already, Activision. Give the people what they think they want.

• Crackhead Johny

“Can we have a Starcraft MMO yet” nope. A Warhammer 40K MMO just doesn’t work.

Overwatch might though. What is it based on?

• travbrad

Probably not what you are looking for since it’s a skill-based game rather than a stats/grinding based game but….Planetside 2. SciFi MMOFPS with 3 factions. One of them is even called Terran :p

• f0d

and there are zergs………..

Nah, I played PS and PS2. It was fun that filled the gap left by Starsiege Tribes, but what I omitted from my comment was the RPG.

I should have said “Can we have a Starcraft or Overwatch MMORPG yet?”

• meerkt

I’d prefer Starcraft: Ghost.

• Welch

Let it die Blizzard… how much can you pander to the lowest common denominator? PvP stats being normalized, WTF? Oh and “This time” pretty much sums up how I’ve felt about WoW for a looooong time. It’s like watching “As Azeroth Turns”. What the hell is the point of killing the same boss over again but in some “new” fashion. You mean to tell me that no matter what you do in the game you’ve really done jack all.

“Yay we killed Illidan!!! But wait, he is still alive!” “Hey we killed Nefarion!!! What he is a skeleton dragon now”.

Seriously how much of this recycled crap can people take. It would be somewhat OK if people were not paying a monthly fee to play the game. I gave up after Cata and didn’t play Wrath. It all went downhill mid Cata when they began nerfing the fights so anyone could walk in and just overpower it with gear.

Don’t get me started on dungeon queues… the end of real guilds and real parties of raiding. It’s the anti social, social game.

You screwed up bad Blizzard. Take the advice of your WoW Vanilla team lead and hire up the guys who were running the private server with massive players all enjoying original release WoW from the Naxx patch.

That and they should just go about making full length WoW movies from the start, they could actually make more cash that way and draw in old fans.

• Vhalidictes

Many things in life are complicated. WOW isn’t.

The major draw of the MMO was the lore. They used it all up and didn’t write any more. I don’t know who’s doing content design nowadays, but it’s clear that whomever it is has no more ideas – and that’s fine. MMOs age and depending on $ they die out.

If only there were “classic rules” servers so the money train could go on for a bit longer… shame about the Private Servers all getting shut down. Maybe the next step for Blizzard is doing that themselves.

But that will only slow the decline, not stop it. Blizzard needs a new MMO, based on a popular property that they own and have a story bible for… I wonder what it could be? Maybe something like Warcraft.. in space?

• travbrad

Pandering to the lowest common denominator seems to be the best way to make lots of money. Just ask EA, Hollywood, the music industry, etc

• Platedslicer

In my case the prospect of being stuck on the Raid Finder has the upper hand on any remaining nostalgia for this game.

Wish they would just get WC4 out… SC2 reminded me that Blizzard *can* put out interesting games that actually get somewhere, when they’re not stiffened by MMO constraints.

• odizzido

I was somewhat dissappointed with SC2. In the first game the races were all different. Zerg units were weak but numerous, toss could tank, and terran were very much about setting up your forces correctly.

In SC2 the races have all been equalized significantly. terran/zerg gained the tank of toss with roach/marauder, terran don’t need to worry about careful movement anymore. I know there is more but I’ve kinda forgotten it now as I stopped playing when they released that one patch that made the game run like complete crap.

Anyways defenses are another thing I don’t like in SC2. In SC1 a well built defense could take on an enormous army. In SC2 it just can’t and so building placement is far less important.

• Shobai

stifled*, perhaps?

• Platedslicer

No, stiffened, as in wearing a straitjacket. They can’t move the story forward. After they killed Arthas… well… nothing seems to stick.

It was more or less OK while the game treated players as ordinary mercs, so they were just running around exploring, doing errands and trying to make a name for themselves. That’s compatible with a mostly-static world.

But once they turned the “epicness” up to 11, it was only a matter of time until all the “threats” they came up with started to smell like yesterday’s lunch.

• Krogoth

The lore went south after vanilla and became an uninspired Warhammer + LOTR rip-off with a few cosmic horrors thrown into the mixture.

• albundy

WC ended with WC3 with me. Tried the new WOW ones, but it just did not have the fun factor and originality that drew me in with the previous iterations. There’s always SC2 though.

• PrincipalSkinner

People are still playing this?

• EricBorn

Blizzard doesn’t report subscription numbers any more, but had 5.5 million subscribing to Warcraft last November.

• DPete27

2004-2016 is a pretty good run. Of course, Call of Duty and Battlefield were both released around that same time and people are still playing those iterations.

• superjawes

…obviously? I mean they wouldn’t be investing dollars in new expansions and the accompanying marketing were it not making money.

• Vhalidictes

It’s like Star Wars: Galaxies in slow motion.

Take a popular MMO. Radically change the rules every single expansion. See tons of people leave.

… profit?

Well, at least Blizzard is giving their B and C teams MMO design experience. Shame about all of the players having to deal with that though.