Asus’ ROG GT51CA desktop blends power and panache

Asus' ROG GT51CA gaming desktop first made an appearance at CES 2016, and now it's coming to market. This high-end desktop can be configured with overclockable Intel CPUs, a range of Nvidia graphics cards, and NVMe PCIe SSDs. It also features aggressive styling and an optional NFC module that works with Asus' ROG Band wearable to trigger included system tuning and security features.

The GT51CA comes with Intel Core i5-6600K or Core i7-6700K CPUs. A "Turbo Mode" pushes the Core i5-6600K to 4.3GHz and the Core i7-6700K to 4.6GHz. Both CPUs stay frosty with an all-in-one liquid cooler. The system gets its graphics muscle from a single GeForce GTX 970, GTX 980, or Titan X. Dual GTX 980s or Titan Xes running in SLI are also available. Memory options range from 16 to 64GB of DDR4 RAM running at 2400 MT/s. Asus also offers a 64GB kit running at 2800 MT/s.

Storage options include 256GB or 512GB NVMe SSDs and mechanical hard drives as large as 3TB. Asus will also install a pair of 512GB NVMe SSDs in RAID 0 for the daring. The system also includes five 3.5" expansion bays for 2.5" SSDs or additional mechanical storage.

As we'd expect for a desktop, the GT51CA has a plethora of ports. Up front, there are two USB 3.1 ports: one a Type-C port with quick-charging support, the other a standard Type-A port. Two more USB 3.0 ports and audio jacks round out the front cluster. The front headphone jack is wired into an ESS Sabre DAC with an integrated amplifier. The rear cluster includes a 7.1 audio jack array, six USB 3.0 ports, and two USB 2.0 ports, plus a PS/2 port and a Gigabit Ethernet jack.

Optional wireless connectivity includes 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1, and NFC. With the NFC module installed, Asus' ROG Band wearable can enable the aforementioned "turbo mode" with assistance from the Asus Turbo Gear overclocking software. The wearable can also unlock an encrypted hard drive partition that Asus calls "Shadow Drive." The GT51CA boosts its gaming cred with four customizable RGB LED lighting zones.

Asus didn't announce pricing or availability for the GT51CA, but given the flashy exterior and high-end parts inside, we'd expect the machine to demand a pretty significant chunk of cash.

• ronch

Time to start a poll pitting this thing against MSI’s trash can PC. Vote which is more nightmare-inducing.

• ronch

This sort of ‘aggressive styling’ (read: butt ugly) may turn off most people with any sense of style, but I reckon it’s pretty big in places like China or other parts of Asia, not because it’s pretty by most tastes, but because it screams, “HEY LOOK! I’M DIFFERENT AND I MUST BE EXPENSIVE AND MY OWNER WAS ABLE TO AFFORD ME!!”

China is perhaps the most materialistic and wealth-conscious (and discriminating in terms of wealth) place on earth. I think there has been a study supporting this.

• cheddarlump

I dislike how full size ATX stuff is still the norm. This is 2016. My personal gaming rig is a mini ITX shoebox, and is plenty powerful. I want a smaller, up-gradable, modular form factor that has a single voltage power supply and isn’t a holdover from the 80s.

I LOVE the new NUC-like designs coming out, but again, those are too proprietary for my taste.

• Pitabred

And I have a big desk, and I like a big hunk of computer sitting on it, while the rest of my house is just networked to it and full of embedded stuff. To each his own 😉

• DPete27

Overcompensating for something?

I wonder what the price is.

Essentially it’s generic parts in a traditional looking ATX rectangular case that could easily be a budget Antec/Corsair/Bitfenix/Coolermaster with what I assume is two 120mm intakes and two 120mm exhausts.

So, the price difference will effectively be for a whole bunch of plastic covered in ROG logos. Some people will pay a few bucks extra for that sort of thing, but I’d be willing to bet “a few bucks extra” is closer to a grand.

• Voldenuit

Ow. My eyes.

Can we stop promoting this fake plastic shit “gam0rz” aesthetic? Does TR have a readership that actually likes this shit?

• DPete27

isn’t it spelled gam3rz?

• Eggrenade

There are probably very few of us who want it, but I think quite a few of us don’t care much and would be happy with eL33t Gam3rz as long as what’s on the inside is good.

• LostCat

Normally I’d agree with you, but this design is actually interesting.

• albundy

I’d take this over promoting Fatal1ty any day of the week.

• paulWTAMU

is that still at thing?

• ronch

Oh, it’s not ugly. It’s called aggressive styling. /s

• DPete27

I’d buy it just for [url=http://rog.asus.com/media%5C1461069248322.jpg<]the flamethrower in front.[/url<]

• Raymond Page

Artist rendering may not depict reality.

• Pitabred

That’s just the totally common and easy blowtorch mod. Pick one up at your local hardware store!

• chuckula

Starkiller base ripoff anyone?

• Neutronbeam

Clearly it has power to burn.