This is your three-month warning for the “second-10th” TR BBQ

I know what you're thinking after reading that headline: what the heck does "second-10th" mean? It's pretty simple, really. We started hosting The Tech Report BBQ in 2004, and it took place near Detroit for its first three years. From the fourth BBQ onward, the venue for our annual get-together has been my family's cottage on the big lake in Holland, Michigan. We celebrated our 10th BBQ with style in 2013, but this summer will mark the 10th year since the move to Holland. I want to go overboard all over again.

The date for this year's event is Saturday, July 23, but BBQ regulars know that you can make a whole weekend out of it. The TR BBQ is a family-friendly event open to all friends and readers of The Tech Report. Not quite sure exactly what happens at the TR BBQ? Lucky for you, we streamed last year's get-together from no less than six different cameras, and I've got about eight hours of summertime goodness crammed into a super-speed seven-minute video.

Did you catch all that? I'll point out some highlights. There's the traditional cornhole tournament, delicious food, assorted bubbles, the sun, and—of course—fireworks. Jeff summarized last year's BBQ quite nicely in this post if videos aren't your style.

There's nothing I look forward to more each year than hosting the BBQ for all the gerbils that can make the trip. If you want to be part of the big second-10th event, plug it into your calendars now and pop into the official thread so you can become part of the conversation and to make sure you get all the updates. We already have all kinds of crazy stuff planned for this year, including some variant of whatever is happening here, so save the date and come hang out with a bunch of geeks at the beach.

Colton Westrate

I host BBQs, I tell stories, and I strive to keep folks happy.

• Captain Ned

Now I understand how Gleek sees the world.

• Dposcorp

“here’s the traditional cornhole tournament, delicious food, assorted bubbles, the sun, and—of course—fireworks.”

No mention of the hardware swap meet? Did that fall by the way side since I missed two in a row?

• drfish

Causality of the summary, not the event, I think we’ve had more hardware the last two years than ever before. Also, I don’t think the primary swapping area was featured in the video very much and I was mostly going by that.

• Dposcorp

Thanks for the update………..me and my stuff will be there 🙂

• Buzzard44

Methinks: Dude, I should totally make it this year. There’s absolutely nothing holding me back this time, and I’ve been meaning to go for years…

Wait a minute…

<finds Modest Mouse tickets I drunkenly spent hundreds of dollars on>

…July 23.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• cygnus1

sir, may I introduce you to stubhub.com

• Buzzard44

For the love of God, not when I’m drunk and the best tickets are sold out! When that happens you miss the TR BBQ (not to mention pay triple face value).

• orik

Vancouver / Seattle BBQ! (I’d get a passport if it was in driving distance)

• Phaleron

If enough people are interested I could help organize

• Flying Fox

We had that one and only [url=https://techreport.com/news/25442/tr-first-vancouver-canada-meetup-a-success<]one meet[/url<] at a Vancouver bar when Geoff and Cyril were still on staff. We should have enough people but border crossing with a bunch of new/old hardware may cause issues.

• adampk17

• drfish

Do it man, these things don’t host themselves!

• zgirl

He is right, the first one happened because forum gerbils in MI made it happen. There was no official sponsor or TR admin organizing it. We did it on our own. This is what he grew into because of our hard work and dedication.

Seriously if you want one to happen. Get into the forums and talk about it.

• Eldar

• sweatshopking

DONT FORGET THAT PEOPLE GATHERED AROUND TO LIVE CHAT WITH AMAZING ME. IT WAS A DREAM COME TRUE FOR THE MANY GERBILS WHO ATTENDED.

ALSO, I WONT BE ATTENDING THIS YEAR EITHER. AFTER I RETURN FROM CUBA, I WILL BE IN AFRICA FOR A FEW MONTHS, RETURNING IN AUGUST FOR A WEDDING. I MAY DO A DRIVE ACROSS THE USA IN AUGUST OR SEPTEMBER, SO PLEASE RESCHEDULE.

• biffzinker

Try to read that in all caps is hurting my eyes.

• morphine

Don’t worry, I’m considering adding an SSK filter to the comments system 😉

• TwoEars

What the heck have you been doing in Cuba for two months? Smoking all their Cigars?

• sweatshopking

THREE MONTHS, ACTUALLY, AND NOTHING. DONT DRINK OR SMOKE. JUST CHILLING AND ENJOYING THE WEATHER AND MY LIFE. AFRICA WILL BE A BIT MORE WORK AS ILL BE DOING SOME STUFF POSSIBLY IN RWANDA AND FOR SURE MALAWI. BUT STILL, ITLL BE A CHILL TIME.

• Cuhulin

Probably opening new sweatshops…..to make lower case letters…..

• drfish

IF YOU JOIN THE LIVE STREAM FROM SOMEWHERE REMOTE MAKE SURE YOU SWITCH TO LOWERCASE TO CONSERVE BANDWIDTH.

• meerkt

I compressed your sentence, sans linebreak, in a few ways to check.
        This very limited testing supports what you say:

[code<] lower upper sentence-case ZIP with WinRAR 82 bytes 83 84 ZIP with 7zip 82 84 84 RAR 95 96 95 7z 94 94 95 [/code<] Lowercase is also best or equal-best using sweatshopking's comment.

• drfish

Holy cow, 2%, that’s almost as much as the IPC increase from Sandy Bridge to Skylake!

• chuckula

I wish you luck in your global quest for a functional keyboard!

Stay CAPSLOCKED my friend.