April showers Surface Book and Surface Pros with updates

Microsoft released a range of updates for the Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, and Surface Book this morning. The Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Book both get new system firmware, camera drivers, audio drivers, and graphics drivers. Unique to the Surface Pro 4 is an embedded controller firmware update that improves thermal tuning. For gamers on the Surface Book, the Nvidia GeForce graphics driver update adds support for some of the latest popular games, too. The Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, and Surface Book should all exhibit improved stability and compatability with external monitors and passive video adapters when they're plugged into the Surface Dock after these updates.

The Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book get some serious usability fixes this month. The Surface System Aggregator firmware update will be a blessing to those who found auto-rotate disabled after resuming Windows and detaching a Type Cover from a Surface Pro 4 or moving to Clipboard mode with the Surface Book. Screen flickering in Microsoft Edge and various applications should also be corrected, thanks to the UEFI and graphics driver updates. The updated Intel HD 520 graphics driver resolves a display re-initialization bug after resume from hibernate or sleep. A firmware update for these systems' cameras improves Windows Hello stability.

These updates will be made available from the Windows Update service in batches, so it may take users multiple installations and reboots to receive all of the fixes.

• smilingcrow

“A firmware update for these systems’ cameras improves Windows, Hello stability.”

I read it as above with the comma between Windows and Hello added by myself.

• adisor19

More proof that MS slowly going to transition to the Apple model with vertical integration for their Surface line. Too bad the execution is still pretty poor so far. Windows 10 is still far from polished as well. At least back in 2001, Apple had OS 9 to fall on until OS X 10.1 started being a bit more palatable. MS is shoving Windows 10 down everyone’s throat even though it’s still very rough around the edges and unliked compared to 7.

Adi

• DPete27

I’m still having issues on Win10 when I wake from sleep and the mouse pointer doesn’t show. You can still use your moue, but it’s tricky to guess where the pointer is at. Good luck saving your things if you have a lot of stuff open before restarting to get your pointer back.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]You can still use your moue[/quote<] Does Windows Hello read facial gestures?

• odizzido

Yeah, as long as W10 keeps resetting your comp without permission I am going to keep using 7. I really don’t have any interest in fighting my OS.

• flip-mode

Huh? I’ve been on W10 since release and my computer has never once restarted without my permission. That goes for my work computer too. Edit: also the other guy at work, whose computer I loaded with W10, has never had that happen.

• Voldenuit

I had it happen last year, it gave me 10 minutes to save my work or get screwed. Since then, I’ve turned off automatic updates by telling it my wifi is metered.

• swiffer

For those folks with the SP4 i7-6650U w/64MB eDRAM Iris 540, this also means an update for you too.

[url<]http://imgur.com/YeBr9Nz[/url<]

• chuckula

Good that Microsoft is issuing these fixes, but they are also pretty late.

Yep. Every review of the Surface Pro 4 from October sounds the same

“Amazing, but just waiting on the firmware and software updates to make it great”

October, 6 months ago, in an industry where product cycles are 9-18 months long…

:rolleyes:

• barich

It’s not like they haven’t been making continuous improvements since launch.

[url<]https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/surface-book-update-history[/url<] [url<]https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/surface-pro-4-update-history[/url<]

• GTVic

Sure complain away, and good luck getting those improvements from any other manufacturer. My Dad has an Acer laptop that won’t wake up unless you open the lid. A fantastic feature when you have an external keyboard/monitor. Lots of people upset about this but no fix will ever come.

• Deanjo

Well Acer just puts out crap, period. They always have sucked in that regard but many other manufacturers have been fairly good.

• sweatshopking