Tiny Zotac GeForce GT 710 slips into PCIe x1 slots

We spend a lot of time talking about the biggest and best graphics cards that hardware vendors have to offer, but sometimes it's good to take a step back and talk about simple utility products. In this vein, we have Zotac’s adorable GeForce GT 710, an entry-level discrete graphics card. What makes this card unusual among GeForce GT 710s is its PCIe x1 interface for data and power, letting it fit into a wide range of systems.

On the surface, this card looks a lot like many other GeForce GT 710s on the market. It's built around a passively-cooled Kepler GPU with 192 stream processors. That chip is backed with 1GB of DDR3 RAM. While this card won’t win any awards for performance, it looks like a decent option for adding a few video ports to a PC that doesn’t have a lot of options—or space—otherwise. While there are smaller GT 710s out there, this one is is among the smallest, with a half-height profile and a length of just 5.75''. It ships with a full-height bracket featuring VGA, DVI, and HDMI outputs. Zotac includes a pair of half-height brackets that allow buyers with tiny cases to take advantage of all of the card’s video outputs, too.

With those specs it’s barely faster than a Sandy Bridge IGP, but nobody is going to buy this to game on.

I guess it’s an inexpensive way to get extra screens on a system already using an IGP, I can’t imagine anyone using a board without an IGP needing one of these as if the board supports PCIe at all, it’ll likely have at least one full-length slot

• CScottG

HDMI.. but what type of HDMI?

-my guess is that its only 1.4.

If so, BOOOOO!

• EndlessWaves

nVidia don’t have a low end HDMI 2.0 capable chip to use. The smallest Maxwell 2 is the GTX 960’s GM206.

• LoneWolf15

Still the dealbreaker of lacking 10-bit hardware H.265/HEVC decoding.

That’s all it would take for me to be interested. Someone brings a basic chip that does this to the market, shut up and take my money. My HTPC with its Braswell chip, has an IGPU that at least does 8-bit, doing it better than this card.

• Visigoth

Agreed. It seems GPU manufacturers, CPU manufacturers, all of ’em kind of forgot us when it comes to h.265 decoding. My Haswell laptop with integrated Intel GPU screams in pain every time I have to play back an HEVC encoded film, let alone if that sucker was 4K or 10-bit!

• yuhong

I wonder if this would be good for the “Vista Capable” Intel 915 chipset desktop PCs from 2007 that now need a GPU with a WDDM driver, especially as they killed XPDM in Win8. Though at first glance some of them may only have PCI slots.

• Klimax

If they were .abled Vista-capable then WDDM driver should exist and thus be still supported. (GMA series does have BTW WDDM driver)

• south side sammy

benchmarks………… lol

while i read through engineers links I wonder……. a few years ago I built an Intel machine that was supposed to be able to run xfire/sli. ( tri to be exact-3rd slot was x4) the slots were 2.0 and 3.0 as the main. but it would never run either. )sli-xfire).. not until I ran the cards in a dualn 3.0 board. (cards are 2.0) (board was asrock) I wonder if anybody else had similar results?

• Misel

Cards like this with three (or more) digital outputs … that would be ideal for an office machine.

• UberGerbil

Actually, for an “office machine,” integrated graphics with three (or more) simultaneous outputs on the motherboard would be more than adequate.

• MOSFET

Perhaps bizarre, perhaps difficult to believe or understand, but last week I was looking around for something JUST like this. Low power but real GPU in a PCIe x1 slot. Obviously not needed for a performance application, just an older server-type system with plenty of x1’s and only one x16, which needs to house either RAID or 10Gb.

I still have a PCI nvidia 6200 and an AGP nvidia FX5200 for when I just need some VGA. I may still have a Matrox Millenium and G450 for same reasons. (would have to dig deep to see) They are becoming more and more difficult to use 🙂

• ronch

I still have my X1950 Pro from 2007. Given its length and power (in)efficiency I don’t use it anymore but I guess having a spare graphics card lying around for testing purposes doesn’t hurt.

• DrCR

A 7600GT from, what, 10 years ago, was pulled out of retirement when my video card failed recently. As annoying as the performance drop was, it was nice to be able to plug it in and go without even a driver change.

• NTMBK

Only uses 1 PCIe lane? 16 way SLI here I come!

• continuum

I wonder if there’s one with DisplayPort. I suspect there is, I just haven’t looked?

• anotherengineer

Still more bandwidth than AGP.

PCIe Scaling if anyone is interested.

[url<]http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_480_PCI-Express_Scaling/[/url<] [url<]http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Express_Scaling/[/url<] [url<]http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/1.html[/url<] [url<]http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_980_PCI-Express_Scaling/[/url<] [url<]https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_Fury_X_PCI-Express_Scaling/1.html[/url<]

• tsk

Nice, looks like a high end GPU over thunderbolt 3 will take less than a 5% performance hit compared to PCIe 3.0 x16.

• cygnus1

5% or less. Let the eGPU chassis’s come already!

• tsk

I hope there will be some nice and slim ones, maybe with an external psu.

• ronch

Apart from the increased number of ports, why would anyone who’s running a CPU with built-in graphics buy this? Better video playback? Better stability playing Popcap games?

Edit – going by your replies, er, yeah…

• Deanjo

If for example you want great openELEC playback or any other linux video on one the many mITX board many of them only have a x1 PCI-e slot. While the 710 does not have h265 support, the decoder in it is able to playback 4k h264 media just fine.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, this is the niche — machines which don’t have anything but an x1 available, which is also why it’s a half-height board. They’are anticipating these going into SFF systems.

The other niche is high-number-of-screen systems (trading stations, control rooms, security monitoring, digital signage) also known as “the markets that are the only reason Matrox still exists.”

• colinstu12

they wouldn’t

• cygnus1

they would probably buy this to be able to run many displays at once. think wall street traders that keep many feeds up at once. it’s not the densest number of outputs, but with 1x interface, multiple of these cards can be installed to drive an entire wall of displays.

• Andrew Lauritzen

Because they don’t know better and assume “discrete = better”. I’m not joking, there are gigantic markets that buy discrete GPUs that are worse than the integrated ones they already have because of this naive logic.

• ronch

No doubt.

• DPete27

Clearly this is intended for Intel Atom boards with the closed-ended PCIe x1 slots (luckily the AM1 boards have full length PCIe slots). Question is, how much more performance does this offer over those IGPs?

• xeridea

The Athlon 5350 has 128 GCN cores so…. not much over that. Would be an upgrade over Atom, but who is going to need more display ports with such slowness, or try to play any games?