Windows 10 Preview Build 14328 puts clocks on every taskbar

Windows 10 Insiders on both PC and mobile platforms should be receiving Preview Build 14328 today. Microsoft calls this a "major" build that brings quite a few new things to the OS. Some of the new features discussed at Build 2016 are now included, like the Windows Ink Workspace. Using an active pen, users can draw on a whiteboard, create sticky notes, and mark up digital maps and websites.

There are also refinements coming to tablet mode. The full-screen All Apps menu (à la Windows 8) is back as an option. The lock screen now hides your e-mail address, and it can display media controls in case you use your Windows device as a media player. Cortana can operate on the lock screen as well, although for anything beyond simple queries you'll have to unlock your device.

Microsoft's digital assistant is getting a number of other updates, too. Those cross-device features that Microsoft promised should actually work now. Cortana can also create reminders from UWP apps, or from photos you add to the photo app. Reminders you create will show up on the taskbar clock's calendar, as it is now fully integrated with the calendar app and Cortana.

Speaking of the taskbar, gamers with multiple monitors can rejoice, as you can actually have a clock on every taskbar now. The Action Center icon has moved edgeward, and now will be separated from the rest of the notification area by the clock. The action center itself is getting some updates, as well. The biggest of these is notification grouping by app. The Wi-Fi icon will now bring you to the "View Available Networks" menu rather than simply showing Wi-Fi status.

Aside from the new features, there are various fixes and issues, as we'd expect from a preview update. These changes and more should hit the Windows 10 mainstream in the Anniversary Update codenamed "Redstone," but Microsoft has given no timetable for when that will happen aside from "this summer."

• eloj

Is this the version which will finally end the “Try Office 365” notification which keeps coming up over and over and over and over again from that “Get Office” which I never requested be installed?

If not, how about you put some engineering time on that instead. Though I suggest you fire the person who came up with the idea to begin with.

(Don’t tell me I can ‘disable it’, that’s not the point)

• hasseb64

Getting (really) tired of that Win10 popup upgrade reminder, maybe time to change now from Win7?

• BurntMyBacon

I suppose their annoying popup tactic can be called successful if you weren’t already planning to upgrade anyways.

Introducing annoying popup 2.0, coming to the next controversial upgrade from Redmond. It will display a notification directly in the center of your screen while switching focus to it from the program / game that was previously active. Do to its location and focus stealing, there is a high probability that you will accidentally click it saving you time and effort. It will limit notifications to only 12 per day, but will draw on the computer usage history to make sure notifications occur when you are most likely to be using the computer. You wouldn’t want to miss out on our exciting new <insert controversial feature here>.

• sweatshopking

I LOVE METRO, AND YOU HATERS CAN KEEP USING THAT TRAVESTY OF MY LITTLE PONY SPARKLE MAGIC KNOWN AS AERO. GOSH AERO IS SO UGLY.

• anotherengineer

CLASSIC SHELL XP FISCHER PRICE FTW1!!11

• Milo Burke

Don’t ever change.

• psuedonymous

[quote<]he full-screen All Apps menu (à la Windows 8) is back as an option[/quote<]YESSSSSSS! My one UI complaint going to 10 from 8.1 was being shoved back into the side-of-the-screen ghetto for the all programs menu. I've got a widescreen monitor, I want to actually be able to USE the whole damn thing for UI tasks, not be relegated to a tiny strip at the left because some old people fear change. They got a start-menu-like-thing to placate them in 10, but Start Screen Master Race should not have got that regression too.

• torquer

Windows 10: Coldplay Edition

• anotherengineer

EGADS!!

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB-RcX5DS5A[/url<] Almost sounds like a windows theme song or something "guessing at numbers and figures" "going back to the START"

• captaintrav

I would assume he’s referencing this. [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d020hcWA_Wg[/url<]

• Wirko

Did no one remind Microsoft of [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segal%27s_law<]Segal's law[/url<]? "A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

• johnrreagan

As a non-gamer with multiple monitors, I will also like having the clock, etc on all monitors.

• flip-mode

[b<]It's about time![/b<]

• Entroper

Sometimes it’s the minute details that make the biggest difference.

• Wonders

I’ll second that.

• Goofus Maximus

I was going to make the obligatory “overclocking” reference, myself…

There are some good changes in here but things like this
    [quote<]The Wi-Fi icon will now bring you to the "View Available Networks" menu rather than simply showing Wi-Fi status.[/quote<] remind me just how stupid some of the previous changes were; Basic, everyday, fundamental functionality was literally [i<]discarded[/i<] with Windows 8 and Microsoft are [i<]still[/i<] backpedalling to repair the damage under Sinovsky/Ballmer.

• Mr Bill

[sarcasm]Somebody forgot to tell the OS team that “Flash” was the magnet for exploits; not Aero schemes, color, and 3D effects.[/sarcasm]

weird, when I play games my second monitor dims. What am I doing wrong? I like clocks.

• anotherengineer

Which game are you playing?

[url<]http://www.friv.com[/url<] ??

Mostly Blizzard games. Hooked on D3 and played through the SC2 missions.

• hechacker1

I’m not sure, but do you need to enable Fullscreen Windowed mode to see the second monitor?

Ah, there we go. Thanks for the tip. I’ve got a black wallpaper on that display now, and I have a clock. Not a big deal for Diablo 3 (which shows the current time in-game) but it’s nice to have for StarCraft.

• lilbuddhaman

[b<]First![/b<] How about those telemetry and auto-update options? [quote<]We fixed the issue causing the Xbox One Controller to lag and become hard to use when connected to your PC.[/quote<] That's good. [quote<]We’ve updated the File Explorer icon to align with [u<]the monochrome design language used for the icons across Windows 10.[/u<] However, you will notice a little bit of color still present in the icon. The design team was a bit hesitant to completely let go of the yellow because it has become such a familiar part of the File Explorer branding.[/quote<] I want to punch the team of assholes who thought monochrome - flat is the design of the future. Talentless hipster hacks.

• Techgoudy

Maybe, I’m the only one, but I love the flat design… :c

• AJSB

You are the only one…bring on the feathers and tar !

• Techgoudy

I’m a simple man, I don’t need much to be pleased lol

• DreadCthulhu

With all the resources that Microsoft has, you would think they could shove a proper themeing engine into Windows, include a couple themes (Classic, Aero, Flat, hell XP Fisher Price too), and have more available in their app store. That way they could make everyone happy, at least appearance wise.

Small Linux distros can manage it – for example, look at all these [url=https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/<]Linux Mint[/url<] themes, so it is silly that Microsoft can't.

• Sargent Duck

Been on Windows10 since it was released…I miss Aero : (

• DarkUltra

Yep! Please try out the Windows 10 preview builds and give them just this feedback in the insiders hub and uservoice.

• jihadjoe

I thought it was absolutely forward thinking when with Vista, Microsoft noticed that “hey, every PC nowadays come with a GPU, so let’s put them to use on the desktop”. Now they’ve gone back to flat designs just to make the PC desktop look more like tablets and phones.

• chµck

now that you mention it, a simpler desktop eats less battery on mobile devices
            still, they should allow the option of aero regardless

• Peldor

Forget the feathers then!

• Meadows

It’s not just that, it’s the monochrome system icons. I can no longer tell at first glance what I’m looking for.

Edit: to clarify, I mean I don’t oppose flatness in itself.

• UnfriendlyFire

The early 1990’s UI designers have taken possession of the current UI designers!

• adisor19

Actually, the early 90’s designers had a reason to keep it simple : limited resources. What’s today’s designer excuse ?

Adi

• Meadows

Today’s excuse is the phrase “keeping it simple” itself. There’s a reason Microsoft’s original new UI direction was called Metro: it took the monochromatic, quasi-stencil iconography of city life to computers, trying to follow the same logic: the icon is a means, not an end, and therefore should be boiled down to basic geometric shapes and as few details as feasible.

What they still haven’t realised is that following restroom signs or tourist information in the city is rather different from picking out a program or function on a PC from a long list. In a city environment, you’re fed 1 to 3 signs at a time and your job is merely to know what they mean. In a PC environment, you’re not fed information but you’re [i<]looking for[/i<] something on demand, usually in a list of 3 to 30 icons, and god help you if you don't have colour to assist with that.

• cygnus1

I think that about sums it up. The design works fine on a small-ish screen with few items. But on a very large screen with dozens of choices, it might actually make things more difficult.

• fyo

I don’t necessarily agree with you about the way we are exposed to icons in various situations*, but Microsoft has severely confused “technical limitations” with “purpose”. Colors and (even more to the point) color changes are used sparingly in the physical world for a variety of reasons, one of which is certainly technical limitations (another is the ability to recognize the icon from a distance, an issue not really present on computers).

COLORS most certainly are used in icons (road signs have distinctive colors, e.g. the red stop sign) and changes in color are often used to indicate changes in state (something Microsoft could REALLY use). Examples of the latter include traffic lights, airplane lavatories, and the “no” in hotel “no vacancies” (somewhat different, yes).

Colors provide important visual cues to icons and limiting everything to a monochrome color scheme just makes things harder for users. That doesn’t mean icons should be photographic in style, a direction it certainly felt like we were going in for a few decades. There’s plenty of space for a middle ground and hopefully UI designers will find it sooner rather than later.

* One important feature of icons is that they should be recognizable and stand out in a crowded space, whether that’s an airplane, a city street, or your local library. Quickly locating the restroom icon is important 😉

• Wirko

White-on-pink, white-on-light blue, white-on-orange … it’s the most aggressive monochrome (huh?) design anyone could possibly come up with.

• kvndoom

I would PAY for an Aero scheme. The appearance of the UI is one of the top reasons I’m still dragging my feet to upgrade from 7.

• Norphy

[url=https://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/<]WindowBlinds?[/url<]

• One Sick Puppy

I agree about the monochrome/flat. Everytime i use my iPhone 3GS I miss the pre-iOS 8 icons.

Button should look 3d, not flat.