Raven Z RVZ-01E case makes room for ATX PSUs in a slim profile

We're fans of building small form-factor systems at TR, as evidenced by our Breadbox system from earlier this year. As part of that process, builders need to do their homework to make sure that everything in a Mini-ITX system will fit together comfortably. With the Raven Z RVZ01-E, Silverstone has updated its slim small-form-factor case to accommodate standard ATX power supplies. That change will give builders a bit more flexibility when selecting parts for their new rig.

Impressively, this change didn't require Silverstone to change the exterior dimensions of the case. Like its predecessor, the RVZ01-E is a 14-liter case that measures in at 382 mm tall by 105 mm wide by 350 mm deep. The exterior styling is largely the same, as well. Silverstone maintained the black color scheme, long vertical ridges, and winged logo from the previous model.

The arrangement of the interior has changed considerably, however, to make room for larger power supplies. Now, the power supply is housed at the top front corner of the case, at least when it's in a vertical orientation. Silverstone indicates that the case can fit ATX power supplies up to 150 mm long, but recommends using 140-mm PSUs instead to avoid problems with certain connector layouts.

Using a customized riser card and an adjustable graphics card holder, the RVZ01-E fits full-size graphics cards up to 13" long. For cooling, it can fit three 120-mm fans, one on the top panel and two on the bottom. The product should be available soon, but we're not sure of its pricing yet. The previous model sells for about $100.

• farmpuma

How exactly does one install 120 mm fans in a case that is 105 mm wide?

• JustAnEngineer

The fans in this case are mounted on the side panels. In the FTZ01, I’ve got two 120x15mm fans blowing in next to the graphics card. The NT06-Pro cooler has its own 120x15mm fan slung underneath blowing down onto the CPU.

• iBend

but the article said “For cooling, it can fit three 120-mm fans, one on the top panel and two on the bottom”

• JustAnEngineer

The [url=http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=368&area=en<]NT06-Pro[/url<] is 82 mm tall with the fan slung underneath. It lines up immediately below the grill in the side panel with 1 mm of clearance. The 120x15 mm fan that comes mounted in that location must be removed (and relocated to the graphics card area).

• EndlessWaves

Why? What’s the market for a higher capacity than the 600W that SFX can provide in a system that takes sub-83mm CPU coolers and a single expansion card?

I’d much rather have seen a FlexATX PSU and shortened graphics card support, which would have cut down the case depth substantially while retaining enough capability for a stock i5 and mainstream graphics card.

• JustAnEngineer

The whole point of the RVZ01 narrow mini-tower form factor with the inverted PCIe riser is to accommodate massive graphics cards. If you’re going to compromise on that, you should go back to the shoebox SFF form factor.

• CheetoPet

Would rather they release more affordable SFX power supplies. A full ATX is overkill for the hardware that can go in this case.

• JustAnEngineer

I installed a Core i7-6700K and a GeForce GTX980Ti into a Fortress FTZ01 in October. That required me to purchase Silverstone’s rather expensive [url=http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=524&area=en<]SX600-G[/url<] power supply. I would have much preferred to continue using my trusty [url=https://seasonic.com/product/platinum-660/<]SS-660XP2[/url<]. At 160 mm (6.3"), that ATX power supply is too deep for the new Raven [url=http://silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?model=RVZ01-E&area=en&top=C<]RVZ01-E[/url<]. Something like the 140 mm (5½") deep [url=http://store.antec.com/earthwatts-platinum/ea-650-platinum.html<]Antec EarthWatts Platinum EA-650 or EA-550[/url<] would be a better fit.

• NTMBK

Nice build! I love a pocket rocket like that. How are you finding it? Noise levels alright? Do you struggle to keep that monster of a GPU cooled?

• JustAnEngineer

The mini-ITX system in the Fortress FTZ01 is noisier when gaming than a micro-ATX Temjin TJ08-E case with a Core i7-4770K and SS-660XP2 with the same graphics card installed. I had carefully tweaked all of the fan profiles for the Asus Gryphon Z87 micro-ATX motherboard using Asus’ Thermal Radar 2 software. The fan controllers on the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 mini-ITX motherboard are not as optimized.

I will go back to micro-ATX for my next build.

• psuedonymous

I’m running the same setup on a 450W SFX PSU just fine, and it was just BARELY too much for my old 300W SFX (that happily ran the same setup with a 980 instead of the 980Ti). Everyone massively overestimates PSU capacity requirements.

That’s cool but I always figured that the Raven was overly plastic.

This version admittedly looks okay but I’d much rather they updated the internals of the sister cases Fortress Z01 or Milo 07.

• NTMBK

So you lose the optical drive in return for fitting in full-sized power supplies? Meh, bad tradeoff in my eyes.

• brucethemoose

Yeah, a slim drive slot right above the PSU would’ve been nice.

• Bomber

I haven’t used my optical drives in so long I’m not even sure they work anymore. I like this

• EndlessWaves

And how long has it been since you’ve needed more than the 600W an SFX PSU provides in a system with a single expansion card slot?

• Bomber

Well considering the only additional card in my system is a 980Ti…this still works 😉

• AJSB

Quite honestly, to have a slim slot-loaded ODD or not to have it at all, is the same thing…i really hate those slot-loaded ODDs…almost proprietary (taking in account how difficult to find them) and expensive.

My favourite case for mini-ITX MoBos with “normal” dGPUs and ODD support is still the InWin BK644.

• DPete27

Optical drive? What’s that?

• NTMBK

That thing I put DVDs into on my HTPC.

• DPete27

DVD’s! Oh, my parents used to use those.
          /s
          …(But seriously)

• NTMBK

I have a lot already, it’s an easy way to get obscure films/TV shows I like. *shrug* Netflix has a place too, but I’m not ready to dump a bunch of films I like.

• dodozoid

It isnt the optical drive that didnt make it, but 3,5″ drive bay which resided above the PSU.
      ( i have the original case at home)

• NTMBK

Optical bay is also gone 🙁 Good point about the 3.5″ bay though.

• Redocbew

Yeah I was just thinking I’d rather have a 3.5″ drive bay instead of a full size PSU. I wouldn’t mind losing the optical drive, but losing the 3.5″ bay for a full size PSU in a case like this seems an odd decision.

• AJSB

BOTH are gone and that makes this case even worse !
        With some new games spending 70-80 GB of storage (and soon even more, possibly reaching 100GB), how many games you can shovel in a 2.5″ drive ?!?

• brucethemoose

Yeah, that’s a deal breaker right there.