Phanteks wraps its Enthoo Evolv ATX case in sheets of glass

Phanteks is giving builders a a more expansive view of the systems they build inside its Enthoo Evolv ATX case today. The company's Tempered Glass Edition case swaps the Evolv's standard side panels for two full sheets of tempered glass. This version of the case also adds 10-color RGB LED accent lighting around the power button and on the front panel. Those lights can be configured to run in solid, "breathing," or "color cycle" modes.

Glass panels and blinkenlights aside, the Evolv ATX retains the solid-looking foundation of its more traditional forebear. The case has room for three 120-mm fans or a 360-mm radiator on its front and top panels. It can also accommodate two 140-mm fans or a 280-mm radiator in those locations, as well. The case comes pre-loaded with two 140-mm fans on its front panel and one 140-mm exhaust fan.

The Evolv ATX also comes with five 3.5" drive bay sleds and two dedicated 2.5" storage mounting points. It can swallow CPU coolers as tall as 7.6" (194 mm) and graphics cards as long as 11.8" (300 mm) if the 3.5" drive sleds are installed. Phanteks didn't disclose pricing info, but we'd expect this case to carry a premium over the regular Evolv ATX's $180 retail price right now.

• ludi

Good, now I can SEE just how dusty my case innards actually are, instead of ignoring them for months per usual policy.

• sluggo

So, if you sell a case without electronics in it, do you still have to show that it can pass FCC part 15?

Not that I care, just wondering.

• ludi

I’m guessing “no,” given that cases with open layouts, and closed cases with acrylic or polycarbonate side panels, have been with us for years. All would tend to have the same issue.

Don’t all of the components inside the case have to be tested, though? Motherboards and power supplies, at least?

Oooh that’s niiiice.

Waiting on the mATX or mITX versions of the Evolv to get the glass treatment as I don’t need seven expansion slots or two 360mm radiators for my single GPU and air cooler. In fact I think I’d be embarassed at the wasted empty space if I put my minimal (mainstream) hardware in anything bigger than an mATX case, kind of like a corvette with a pinto engine in the bay….

• rudimentary_lathe

It’s a beautiful and functional case, but definitely on the pricy side (probably due to the aluminum).

It’s too bad the mATX version has such poor I/O placement on the opposite side of the glass panel.

• Anovoca

Phantek cases are notorious for how easily the glass skuffs and scratches. Adding more of their glass to a case does not seem wise.

• curtisb

This is tempered glass, not their normal plexiglass/lexan.

• davidbowser

The first thing I thought was, “tempered glass is not light”. I checked the specs on this case and it weighs in over 22 lbs. Normal steel case is like 15-16.

I am not averse to solid cases, but I don’t really see the attraction to tempered glass vs plexi.

• DPete27

Tempered glass doesn’t scratch and doesn’t build up a static charge to attract pet hair. Those are the two biggies I can think of.

• ch┬Áck

It would also make the case quieter. Less panel vibration and airborne sounds.

• DPete27

[previous post deleted on account of misinterpretation] That too

• Voldenuit

I’m still waiting for a microATX version of the Eclipse…

• rpjkw11

Cable management is gonna be a bear. If I needed a mid-tower, I’d take them up on the challenge. I have two Primos already.

• DPete27

If they want to window the back side so you can see the SSDs/hdds, it would’ve been better to make a partial window for that panel that only shows the drives, not your cable spaghetti also.