Deals of the week: Asus’ MG278Q display for $400 and more

It's deals-of-the-week day, gerbils. Today we have a System-and-Peripherals-Guide themed list for you. If you were hedging on a new rig based on one of our System Guide recommendations, we have some price drops courtesy of Newegg to sweeten the deal:

• Starting from our recent Peripherals Guide, Newegg has Asus' MG278Q display up for $400. This 27" display has a 144-Hz, 2560×1440 panel with FreeSync support. Today's price tag represents a precipitous drop from the $570 it was selling for when we wrote our Guide, and it's the lowest price we've seen for this display.

• Mushkin's Reactor 1TB SSD is a popular showing for our Friday deals, and it's also the first item that just so happens to be in our System Guide. This drive has a good reputation as a value performer, and Newegg has pushed the price down to $206 till the end of the day with promo code ESCETGM63, making a sweet SSD even sweeter.

• While we're talking about System Guide staples, G.Skill’s Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-2133 memory kit has dropped down to $90 with promo code PAXMEM10 on the Egg. This is a fantastic price on a kit we felt good about recommending at $120.

• We also gave a nod to the Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB graphics card in our most recent System Guide, and Newegg is helping out by offering it for $95, a $10 drop from the price featured in the Guide. This is the most budget-friendly graphics card we recommend, and it's good to see it get just a little more friendly.

• If you're looking for something a bit more extreme, Newegg has Intel's Core i7-5930K CPU for about $25 off today with promo code EMCETGM22. While $25 off of a $550 processor might not sound like a lot, savings on high-end processors like these are fairly rare. This CPU is an easy recommendation for a high-end system, and $25 buys a lot of cheeseburgers.

• Fractal Design’s Node 804 chassis is a compact, dual-chamber microATX enclosure that can take up to 8 3.5" drives. Newegg is offering it for $70 right now, which is the lowest price we have seen.

• If you're in the market for a new Windows Phone device, Microsoft is offering an unusual flagship-plus-one deal. Its 32GB, 5.7", Snapdragon 810-driven Lumia 950 XL comes with a free 32GB, 5.2", Snapdragon 808-driven Lumia 950 for free. At a total of $650 for two unlocked phones, this could make for a great whole-household mobile OS conversion kit.

That's all for this week, folks. If we missed a great deal somewhere else, be sure to share it with other TR readers in the comments.

• Kretschmer

FYI, the IPS MG279Q is $80 more at Newegg.

It’s up to the reader to decide if panel tech is worth a 20% markup or not. I’m quite happy with my MG279Q (although not quite as happy with AMD’s drivers).

• End User

$650 for anything to do with Windows Mobile at this point is a waste of money.

• albundy

maybe at half that its a deal, but not at this price.

• kylekermgard

FYI the Asus MG278Q is not the same as the Asus MG279Q that’s in the staff picks and costs $570. This is a cheaper TN panel version.

• tay

What the fxck? Shitty move Asus.

• travbrad

The reviews I’ve found of it seem to suggest the color accuracy and uniformity is pretty much indistinguishable from the IPS version. I just don’t think it’s something most people would ever notice: [url<]http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-mg278q-27-inch-freesync-gaming-monitor,4387-7.html[/url<] There are good TNs and bad TNs, and most displays of any type (IPS/TN/VA) can be improved with calibration since the stock settings are virtually always off a bit. TNs will never have great off-angle viewing, but who uses a computer monitor off angle anyway? Especially when it has a good stand with tilt/height adjustments.

• UberGerbil

[quote<] who uses a computer monitor off angle anyway?[/quote<]People who use them in portrait mode. Which is why a lot of TN monitors use a stand that doesn't even offer that as an option. The better of the recent ones aren't too bad, which is why some of them (like this one) do offer a portrait adjustment. But I'd still look to a different tech if I was planning on using it vertically.

• JAMF

Also triple screen gamers.

• travbrad

Portrait mode and triple screen are the cases were you’d notice I guess, but I still think that monitor would be fine for most gamers since they do neither of those. Similarly a R9 390/290 or GTX 970 would suck for 4K but they are still good cards for what most gamers do.

I would think you’d want to point the side screens towards you for triple screen gaming as well, unless you mean triple portrait.

EDIT: Instead of just downvoting me would you care to explain why it wouldn’t be a good monitor for most gamers? It’s literally half the price of the IPS version right now and other than those niche use-cases mentioned it would be indistinguishable from the IPS version. Paying double for something most people don’t do seems pretty stupid to me.

• JustAnEngineer

$[url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-mg279q<]481[/url<] รท $[url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-mg278q<]401[/url<] = 1.20 20% more is not double. I gave you a downvote for complaining about downvotes. :p P.S.: Updated Newegg price for IPS version is down to $480 + $1 shipping.

• travbrad

Hmm it was $800 a few days ago when I checked. I’d still get the cheaper TN one though, because I am in the 99% who don’t use triple portrait monitors so weird viewing angles don’t matter. I just don’t buy into this notion that IPS is automatically better than TN like the rest of the TR comments hivemind. I’ve seen some bad TNs, some bad IPSs, some good TNs, and some good IPSs.

IPS is generally better than really cheap bargain basement TNs for sure, but that’s not what these are. The “color accuracy” advantages of IPS is often oversold IMO for what the average person/gamer is looking for ([url=http://media.bestofmicro.com/8/E/544622/gallery/14-colorde_w_755.png<]and even when you do measurements a lot of them are pretty darn close anyway).[/url<] Most good TNs have better black levels too (although not as good as VA of course). More downvotes please! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Srsly_Bro

I’m waiting until the new GPU lines come out before I get a vendor locked monitor.

Then I can get rid of this awful, slow, noisy, power hungry 7950.

The 7950 doesn’t support VESA adaptive sync anyway.

• Srsly_Bro

Thanks for that. I’ll add that to my list of unnecessary complaints in my next 7950 post.

• Firestarter

and it’s not THAT slow once you turn all the dials to 1100mhz

• JustAnEngineer

You should probably get a vendor-agnostic monitor that follows the open VESA adaptive sync standard like the [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-mg279q<]$481[/url<] Asus [url=https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/MG279Q/<]MG279Q[/url<].

• Firestarter

I really want that Asus MG278Q

• Neutronbeam

Firestarter + Kickstarter = Asus MG278Q!

• Firestarter

Money I have, but does my wife agree? Or more to the point, am I actually afraid of what might happen if I just buy this or do I think I can weather the storm? Find out more after the break!

• Devils41

I dont miss this. First thing I bought after my divorce finalized was an ACER XB270HU brpz a nice little congratulatory gift to myself.

• Firestarter

Actually it’s more about being an adult than marital permission, which means that I have to convince 2 people that it’s not a complete waste of money: my wife AND myself

but anyway, congrats on the divorce

• Devils41

should I have added IMHO… ten years of marriage took plenty of “adulting” especially knowing when to walk away from a bad marriage.

but anyway, I understand the struggle.

• Neutronbeam

Nice idea. I will keep it in mind.

• Vaughn

I feel for you guys where your wife controls how you spend. I don’t allow that in my relationship I buy what I want with my own money. I just don’t spend money stupidly so no need for my partners approval!

• Firestarter

Things change when you buy a house, get kids or even when you plan your holidays together. If your partner cannot afford to pay for the holiday you were planning together due to frivolous spending and you can’t afford to take him/her, how are you going to feel about that?

• Vaughn

I’ve owned a house been there done that.

Money is put aside for vacations and it doesn’t get touched so no problem there.

If my partner wasn’t saving money properly for a vacation we planned then we just don’t go. And I will feel fine about it because that will be on her if this was planned months in advanced.