Philips’ new 43-inch monitor might make native 4K practical

Philips is releasing the BDM4350UC in the United States and the UK today. This 43-inch 4K IPS display supersedes the company's BDM4065UC monitor, which was a little smaller and used a VA panel. Thanks to its large size for a PC monitor, this display offers a relatively standard 103-PPI density—about the same as that of a 27" 2560×1440 display. That PPI figure might make the BDM4350UC a good choice for folks who want the information density of a 4K display minus the eyestrain of running smaller 4K screens without a scaling factor.

The BDM4350UC boasts  178-degree viewing angles both horizontally and vertically, and its 5ms GTG response time could be a nice improvement over the previous model's 8ms spec. The claimed 1200:1 contrast ratio isn't bad, either. Like the previous model, this monitor can reproduce 1.07 billion colors. Unlike the previous model, Philips says this display uses a flicker-free backlight.

The BDM4350UC trades the mini DisplayPort input of its older sibling for another full-sized DisplayPort. All in all, this display has two DisplayPorts, two MHL-compatible HDMI ports, and a VGA connection. The monitor also features a four-port USB 3.0 hub. Philips' MultiView firmware enables two-device Picture-in-Picture, or the ability to view up to four devices simultaneously in Picture-by-Picture mode. 7-watt speakers and VESA mounts round out the feature list. This monitor has been available in certain regions for a couple of months, but it's only now making its debut in the Anglophone world. Amazon has it for $799 right now.

• jts888

This thing looks great, and I’d definitely get one if I wasn’t already using an LG UHD TV as my workstation display (even same panel that Philips is using?).

I will however upgrade to the first 40″+ IPS display with 120 Hz input display over DP 1.3/1.4 though.

The Philip’s flick-free backlight is nice, but I’d also love to see the ability to toggle between DC backlight control and 120 Hz strobed for when I wanted higher motion clarity. Adaptive-sync would be nice too. 🙂

• FranzVonPapen

relatively, relatively
    without, without

Zak: you’re reusing words in close proximity to each other. It’s jarring to read.

• RAGEPRO

Wasn’t actually me! Thanks for the feedback, though.

• FranzVonPapen

Are you the article author, Zak, or are you not? I don’t understand your comment.

• RAGEPRO

Yep, that’s me. I wrote the article, but it was kind of a mess, and required a lot of editing. At some point we got some wires crossed; might’ve been editing the article at the same time. Thanks for pointing it out.

• Gadgety

Looks very interesting, but shouldn’t it have HDCP2.2 compliance?

• Visigoth

I wonder how this would compare to Dell’s recently released P4317Q:

[url<]http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=210-AHSQ[/url<]

• snowMAN

WTF, the Dell is a new UHD display that only has HDMI 1.4. Immediate fail, better luck next time.

• Visigoth

DisplayPort > HDMI.

• Gadgety

Looks like the Philips is half the price.

• One Sick Puppy

I’d hit that for sure. I’ve been running a 40″ TV as my main monitor for about 7 years. Tried to go back to a standard, smaller monitor but never been able to do it.

• blahsaysblah

The bad pixel policy sucks [edit] and can’t find if its a matte screen or not:

BRIGHT DOT DEFECTS ACCEPTABLE LEVEL
    1 lit subpixel 2
    2 adjacent lit subpixels 0
    3 adjacent lit subpixels (one white pixel) 0
    [b<]Total bright dot defects of all types 10[/b<] BLACK DOT DEFECTS ACCEPTABLE LEVEL 1 dark subpixel 8 or fewer 2 adjacent dark subpixels 2 or fewer 3 adjacent dark subpixels 0 Distance between two black dot defects* >=20mm [b<]Total black dot defects of all types 10 or fewer[/b<] TOTAL DOT DEFECTS ACCEPTABLE LEVEL [b<]Total bright or black dot defects of all types 12 or fewer[/b<]

• kcarlile

I have the 40 at work. Terrrrible color accuracy. Pretty damn awesome screen area. Very good price. Hopefully the 43 gets rid of #1 and keeps the other two.

• snowMAN

You shouldn’t compare the two, the BDM4065 has a MVA panel, this one is IPS.

• kamikaziechameleon

yeah, with ips even if the accuracy out of the box is bad typically you can modify it in a way to compensate.

• drunkrx

Just missing a serial bus connection for remote controlling it. Sigh. I see it has SmartControl software but its only Windows.

• Visigoth

Then Dell’s P4317Q is going to be your best friend:

• drunkrx

Wow thanks for the tip. 🙂

• Deanjo

Use HDMI-CEC

• drunkrx

That’s not useful for the remote management and multiview.

• Farting Bob

What is the point of a VGA connector (which was superseded by DVI in 1999) on a 4k display?

• UberGerbil

It’s possibly useful for the PiP mode — you might have an older device that only offers VGA (eg security camera) that you may want to view occasionally (or leave running in one corner). It’s a niche use, but the VGA port is pennies and the processing may be free (if the IC they’re using includes it anyway — in fact, it almost certainly was in there already which is the only reason they bothered).

• Krogoth

Troubleshooting on legacy, KVM and server-tier equipment.

The RAMDACs found on most video cards operate at ~400Mhz so VGA output would be limited to ~2560×1600@60Hz. That’s assuming you are using quality VGA cabling and video card vendor didn’t cut corners on analog output.

• kamikaziechameleon

This is a perfect option for me. Very highly considering it.

• Anovoca

lol “practical”

• ozymandias

Still with a VGA connection. Would be interesting to see what resolution you’d be able to get out of VGA, and how it would look on a 40″ screen.

• thesmileman

no Gsync. 🙁 Thought it might be nice for casual gaming.

• moose17145

I was thinking the same thing except “FreeSync” instead of “GSync”…

• kamikaziechameleon

either or, wish they had atleast free sync (as a free and open standard) on every panel darn it.

• WasabiVengeance

Is scaling in windows still that bad that you’d *want* a screen with that low of a PPI just to avoid it? o_O; My gf’s surface seems to be scaling just fine, but that’s my recent windows experience, and it was pretty brief.

Scaling is fine, from what I can tell, but on the desktop I basically never want high PPI over more desktop space (to a point, anyway, because it has to be legible for my old-man eyes). A 43″ display isn’t practical for me to look at, I guess, but it’s nice to know I could if I wanted to.

Seems like I can never have quite enough space in my text editors to show everything I want to see at one time.

• spugm1r3

Honestly, I thought the same thing. Then I started using a 39″ 4K at work. Coupled with a proper windows manager, large format 4K is awesome for productivity. The ergonomics smashes the triple screen setup I was running previously, as well.

• EndlessWaves

I’m not quite sure what you’re imagining the alternative to be. As far as I know nobody does 7680×4320 screens at this size (at sensible prices) and four 21.5″ 206dpi screens have the obvious downside.

• End User

Scaling sucks away the advantage that a high native resolution supplies. The smaller the display the worse it is. I hate scaling on a laptop. I’m using the native resolution on my MacBook . Native 4K on a 43″ display sounds good to me.

• w76

I’ve got a 27″ 1440p monitor, and my old eyes wouldn’t want much higher PPI. Now, off my lawn!

That’s basically what this is. Same surface area as four 1080p 21.5″ displays. Around 105 ppi.

• End User

A 27″ 5K display would be awesome as that is quad pixel 2560×1440.

because so much content (web graphics, game textures, all movies and tv) is raster graphics that gain ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from scaling.

The only things that benefit from high PPI are vector fonts and wireframe games (or wireframe-like elements in games).

Scaling only looks good at 200%, which effectively quadruples the graphics workload for a halving of the pixel aliasing in [i<]vector graphics only[/i<]. IMO that's a terrible tradeoff, but you're welcome to your "I like to squint and waste my phone battery/GPU budget/eyesight" opinion if you disagree with me.

• tsk

Why can’t the whole OS use vector graphics?
        Wouldn’t that fix everything, or is it too much work?

• UberGerbil

The OS isn’t the problem. Effectively most* of the graphics in the UI elements (lines, gradients, fonts, etc) [i<]are[/i<] vector graphics, and have been for a long time. The problem is everything else [i<]inside[/i<] the UI elements. Like web pages, most notably. Have a look at TR itself: every product photo, every ad, all of those are bitmaps and none of them are going to be vector graphics soon.. or ever. So if you're scaling the webpage, what do you do? If it's a 2x factor, you can just make the pixels bigger. But if not, you have to do the usual stretch-and-interpolate and it [i<]never[/i<] looks very good. * Icons are not, but that's why we have "retina" icons now. Even Apple couldn't figure out how to force their developers to do vector icons.

• Pitabred

I like my 28″ 4K. If it’s a TV it’s one thing, but I sit close enough to a monitor that 43″ is just too big unless you’ve got a 5′ desk with the monitor at the far side of it. The normal two to three feet at most? 43″ is insane.

[i<]Edit: Make that 28", it's a U28D590D[/i<]

• Jigar

Some people like me use it – I use 42″ LED TV as a monitor and I can’t see myself using anything smaller.

• Bauxite

If you have a 9xx series card w/ hdmi 2.0, the top end Samsung 48″ JS9000 is $999 at BJs right now. Sold as a TV but has a great panel and does 4:4:4 which makes a really nice curved desktop monitor, basically quad 24″ 1080p without bezels.

• cygnus1

That tv/monitor is really nice, and [url=http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/js9000<]rated really well[/url<]. But it's unfortunate that it doesn't accept any input higher than 60Hz.

• the

Considering the amount of bandwidth necessary to drive 4K at 4:4:4, moving beyond 60 Hz would require moving to DP 1.3 at this point in time.

• cygnus1

Right, but it won’t accept 1080p at higher than 60Hz either. The point I was making is that the panel is 120Hz but doesn’t accept any input greater than 60Hz at any resolution.

• mcnabney

There are 4k Vizio displays being sold right now that do 4kp60 and 1080p120. And they have low latency and good refresh. For less money.

If you can mount a big display to the wall behind your desk you can save money going with select UHD TVs over desktop monitors that are still in gouge-mode.

• Bauxite

No shipping card or monitor does 4k SST past 60hz. The cards might be talked about in a few days but the monitors aren’t anytime soon.

• cygnus1

• Nike

Now it just needs gsync. Although it would be nice to have ambilight* too which is unfortunately philips only.

*Yes, I know it isn’t universally loved, but I happen to dig it.

• JosiahBradley

Or any AMD/nVidia card that uses DP 1.2 as DP1.2->HDMI2 adapters don’t cost that much.

I endorse (and primarily use) a large format HDTV as a monitor, but when looking at reviews you have to remember that all the fancy features that reviewers swoon over is either:

a) disabled in game mode to get acceptable levels of input lag, vastly reducing image quality
      b) adds (in the case of the JS9000) 65-153ms of input lag, making it practically unusable for gaming

• drfish

This is a better screen [url=https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116722<]than what I tried[/url<] but I learned enough to know that much screen is just too big for my taste. I'm much happier with a single 34" 21:9.

• Ifalna

Yep, my friend has a 45″ TV and we used that as a monitor for a while.
      Fun, but in the long run it is annoying. You constantly have to move your head and you always miss things in games.

30″ would probably be the cutoff point for me personally.

• vargis14

Went from 37″ 1080p to 34″ 3440-1440p 21/9 and it is basically same width just shorter than the 37″16/9 TV.
      Absolutely love it..60Hrtz IPS

• whm1974

Me want!!!

• Neutronbeam

Me want you to buy for me!!!

• JosiahBradley

IPS: Check, 4K: Check, Giant: Check, <1000$ Check. Hello 4K!

• sweatshopking

Don’t forget my address!

• the

Only thing missing is Freesync/Gsync and this would be perfect.

• kamikaziechameleon

That indeed would be amazing. I’m wondering how much that matters for the kind of games and model of usage I have… awe heck it matters they should stinking put one or the other or both in ever flipping monitor, then consoles could plug into it and cut down the darn chop.

• snowMAN

Flicker-free backlight: Check! Credit Card: Check!