Fallout 4 gets more love from Bethesda with Far Harbor expansion

Hot on the heels of Bethesda’s announcement last week that Fallout 4 would officially begin supporting mods, the company has given fans of the series another reason to rejoice. On May 19, the company will be releasing an expansion called Far Harbor for its popular post-apocalyptic RPG.

Far Harbor is a new story arc for the Valentine Detective Agency, which takes place on the coast of Maine in a town predictably named Far Harbor. It features a host of higher-level loot, new NPCs, and stronger bad guys, as we would expect from a Fallout expansion. Bethesda is famous for releasing sweeping expansions for its open-world RPGs, and Far Harbor looks to be no exception. The company says that Far Harbor is the largest increase in landmass for an expansion released by the studio, which is impressive given the size of some of the expansions for Skyrim

• TwoEars

Fallout 4 is fundamentally broken as an RPG, I’ve given up on it. Playing Pillars of Eternity right now instead. It’s from Obsidian, same guys who made Fallout:NV, those guys still remember how to make an RPG.

• PainIs4ThaWeak1

Gah, two more weeks? lol

(I know, I’m impatient.) Sitting at level 93, with NOTHING left to do in the main game or expansion #1, aside from the repetitious faction-based quests.

• south side sammy

they’ll keep having releases until the well runs dry. after that they’ll shut down the server and all your money will have gone for not.

• K-L-Waster

What on earth are you talking about? People can still play Morrowind, Oblivion, FO3, and Skyrim even though those games are ages old and haven’t had DLC’s released in donkey’s ages — why would FO4 be different?

• Khali

Umm, just what servers are you talking about? Its a single player game so no servers involved other than Steam and you go play in offline mode to get around that.

• brucethemoose

[quote<] The company says that Far Harbor is the largest increase in landmass for an expansion released by the studio, which is impressive given the size of some of the expansions for Skyrim. [/quote<] I was thinking more of the Shivering Isles from Oblivon, which is the best DLC Bethesda ever made IMHO (next to horse armor, of course).

• RoxasForTheWin

Reminded me of Point Lookout, hopefully it will be different enough to where it doesn’t feel like a clone.

On the other hand, anyone know when Obsidian can come back in and make Fallout great again? Fallout 4 was okay but I still find myself going back to New Vegas

• Beelzebubba9

It’s weird to me how much I preferred New Vegas to Bethesda’s work as well. It’s like obsidian hired a group of writers that were just a class above and let them go nuts.

• brucethemoose

They did the same thing with KOTOR II.

Obsidian specializes in good writing, so it’s not that surprising to me.

• NovusBogus

Better writing, and better mechanics too. Bethesda makes great sandboxes but they’re short on character depth and feel rather, er, sandboxy in that GTA do-whatever-and-nothing-changes sense. In F:NV, actions have consequences and the locals are much more complicated than cops vs. robbers.

• Srsly_Bro

New Vegas was done exceptionally well. I can’t speak on how much I enjoyed the game and its expansions. It’s definitely different than FO3 and FO4, in a good way.

• Khali

A month or so ago the semi official word was no more Obsidian Fallout games. I can’t find the link where I read that.

But here recently I have been reading it might be possible after all. Supposedly it will be set on the west coast some where if it is done at all.

• ImSpartacus

Obsidian’s Fallouts have the best words.

• sweatshopking

I didn’t love fallout 4.

• SnowboardingTobi

It’s ok. It didn’t love you either.

• Srsly_Bro

But you do now, naturally.

• paulWTAMU

Just like his father

• Neutronbeam

It was just a short-lived digital thing and now they’re just friends.

• Srsly_Bro

I don’t love it either. I’m going to give it another go in a few months with a new playthrough to give it another chance.

• sweatshopking

Just play the witcher 3. it’s like 10000 times better. and wtf why aren’t you on skype. did you make it to florida?