Radeon Software 16.5.1 drivers fix Forza follies

AMD released version 16.5.1 of its Radeon Software Crimson Edition drivers yesterday. As one might guess by the version number, this is the first release this month, and AMD describes it as a hotfix release. The sole remark in the patch notes regards Microsoft's new free-to-play racing sim Forza Motorsport 6: Apex. The company promises up to 27% better performance in that title on the flagship R9 Fury X versus its last driver release.

That sort of performance boost sounds important, since developer Turn 10 recommends a Fury X (or a GeForce GTX 980 Ti) to achieve 60 FPS at 4K. Even at 1080p, the system requirements suggest a Radeon R9 290X (or a GTX 970) to achieve that 60-FPS number. It seems some bug fixes may have made their way into the new driver, too, as the list of known issues has been trimmed slightly since the last release. The drivers are available now from AMD's download page.

• Firestarter

I hope the miserable failure of this game will be the signal Microsoft needs to stop trying to build their walled garden

• DoomGuy64

Reminds me an awful lot of Origin, which of course the moral of that story isn’t to stop building walled gardens, but to keep forcing it down our throats until everyone accepts it. The App Store, or how I learned to love the broken walled garden DRM SAAS.

That said, I don’t think Microsoft has the stamina to pull off an Origin. They’ll discontinue the service as soon as it’s negative ratings peak, further proving you can’t ever ever trust Microsoft to run anything. Coming soon: GFWL for the App Store. Considering how Microsoft doesn’t take proper feedback and always makes things worse instead of better, I can’t see it lasting one way or another.

For many people it’s not even a question of morality, but QOS, so as long as Microsoft doesn’t make a decent product, the sellouts won’t have an excuse. That’s the biggest threat to Microsoft’s walled garden. Themselves. Because if morals had anything to do with it, we wouldn’t have Origin, now would we. At least there are enough anti-drm supporters to keep GOG around, so I guess there is a silver lining here somewhere.

• DPete27

Has anyone played this game? Free to play sounds intriguing, but not if I have to sell my soul to Microsoft for a demo.

• anotherengineer

Indeed.

Had a onenote doc the other day but no onenote to open it. Sign up for a trial version, then trial version doesn’t want to open it and now getting spammed with email now about MS onenote………..sigh………

• TwistedKestrel

Downloading it now… gotta say that the Windows 10 app store is pretty clunky. First try at signing up and logging in, the login popup would appear blank for maybe 20 seconds, then disappear. Signing out & in of Windows itself fixed that, but then downloading the 18.8 GB game had caused some major hard drive thrashing for no apparent reason, to the point of the desktop freezing for a few minutes – when it woke up again, pausing & resuming the download got it to calm down and the HDD is averaging a 6% active time.

• TwistedKestrel

Ok, I have it. I’m impressed! This is truly Forza on the PC. There is a LOT more game here than I was expecting. Nothing bad to say about it yet!

• ronch

Very interesting news, indeed.

• RAGEPRO