Nvidia board partners unveil Founders Edition GTX 1080s

TR gerbils might be tired of all the Nvidia news since Friday's event, but here's another bit: those GTX 1080 graphics cards are one step closer to market now. Gigabyte, Zotac, EVGA, Galax, and Inno3D have all made announcements regarding Founders Edition (read: reference) GTX 1080 boards in one form or another. As we reported yesterday, the Founders Edition version of the new 10-series GeForce cards will be the first ones to ship.

Galax confirmed its incoming products with a Facebook posting teasing the #GTX1000series, while Inno3D has a product page up using Nvidia's images. Zotac at least has a model number and a bunch of pictures of its actual card. Gigabyte one-ups those manufacturers with a picture of its box. Meanwhile, EVGA trumps everyone else with a store page including pricing and e-mail notification options.

The listed specifications on these pages confirm a few of the things we've heard elsewhere, like the GTX 1080's 1607-MHz base clock and the inclusion of a backplate on the Founders Edition cards. Nobody's talking availability yet, but Jen-Hsun Huang said Founders Edition cards would become available May 27, so pre-orders should begin soon.

• Anovoca

Ah yes, the reference card months. Where mfg partners scramble to put out the most attractive box art.

• Srsly_Bro

The shroud is fine and all you romanticists should be ashamed. Progress is moving forward, and its leaving you behind.

• Bensam123

Really want to know the timeframe for the non-founders edition. I’m guessing it’ll be 3-4 weeks after founders launches, but I want to hope.

• Prestige Worldwide

I too am eager to see the non-milking edition to launch.

• Welch

I realize why… but the last few days feel like “nVidiaReport.com”

• chuckula

Wait for Polaris…

• jts888

The million-dollar question, after TR got cold shouldered on a 1080 review copy by Nvidia, is whether a Polaris will actually get reviewed here first or not.

(Hey Scott, you won’t let AMD pull that same crap, right?)

• chuckula

I can’t imagine AMD not sending TR a copy in plenty of time for the review.

Then again, I also expected TR to receive a review unit for the Radeon Duo Pro and Nvidia not sending over the GTX-1080 is also a major shock.

So basically, all bets are off from now on apparently. I do hope that TR gets a non-“founders” review unit of the GTX-1080 in a timely manner. That might be slightly more interesting since everyone else will have the same basic piece of hardware and TR can explore the finer points of a non-reference design.

• DPete27

Has me worried about the “status” of TR in the eyes of manufacturers. Was TR not getting review samples even before Scott left, or is this new?

• Klimax

Fairly new. Only prior case I remember and know of is Fury Nano.

• ImSpartacus

I’m pretty critical of tr pretty frequently, but I don’t see an issue with their gp104 coverage. It’s a big deal.

I trust that we’ll see something similar when Polaris 10 drops, not for the sake of “fairness”, but because both are very interesting.

• Welch

Yeah I think too many people here are lacking critical reading comprehension skills. I did say “I realize why…” as in, I understand why they are covering it. I don’t have an issue one bit with TR covering it because it is the hottest news in the industry and I’m genuinely interested in it too.

I simply found it funny and it caught me by surprise when I logged into TR after a 4 day vacation to see almost every single news post about nVidia.

I guess if you want to read too far into that as though I were being critical of TR, then by all means, but you would be wrong.

• Firestarter

GPUs and CPUs have always been the most heavily reported items on The Tech Report, and the release of the GTX1080 is arguably one of the most important events in GPU land since the release of the HD7970 more than 4 years ago. So yeah, it stands to reason that The Tech Report reports on important tech. We’ll hear the other side of the story as soon as AMD feels confident telling it

What are you smoking?

The last TR article about Nvidia is from two weeks ago and the first page of news is 7/21 articles Nvidia, which is hardly surprising given just how much news Nvidia has made this week with various hardware/software announcements.

• ish718

$700? the 8800 ultra is back!

• Srsly_Bro

No, That was $700 in 2007 dollars. We are in 2016. The dollars aren’t the same.

• Liron

Won’t somebody please explain that to my paycheck?!

• yogibbear

I will explain. You make less now than you did in 2007 even though the square root of the integers is the same result.

• chuckula

[url=http://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2015/05/12/84bbfd81-e8ae-4ce7-b618-c83522a4002e/resize/620×465/b1869f230a7f3eda20882d2706e57af8/tubmanon20.jpg<]TUBMAN'D!![/url<]

• AJSB

There goes the fantasy $599 price tag down the drain:
    The “Founders Edition” *IS* the true Regular Edition (more so because the chips are not even specially binned according to NVIDIA) at 699 USD.
    The “Regular Edition” is actually subpar cards with subpar GPU chips that CAN’T OC to 2.1GHz.

• nanoflower

Not true. It’s going to be the same silicon lottery that it always is with a new card where some people can get to 2.1GHz and others might get 1.7GHz. That’s always a risk when buying a reference card. If you want to be sure of getting the high clocks wait for the specialty cards to come out with the binned GPUs.

• chuckula

OK, the outrage yesterday was that the Founder’s Edition cards aren’t binned with better silicon.

Today the outrage is that non-Founder’s Edition cards are binned with worse silicon.

The only logical conclusion is that Nvidia intentionally picks the best silicon and throws it into a dumpster since literally none of the products they are selling include this silicon.

• anotherengineer

From the evga link [url<]http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6180-KR[/url<] Only 1 BIOS?!!? pffff to cheap to put dual bios on a $700 card?? Should be dual bios, 1 regular and 1 founders edition bios that will flash a polygonized version of this image across the screen on boot up. [url<]https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/tZrCzS1g-6sIMEn-eWdocIq463M=/0x107:1019x680/1280x720/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49527379/JJHholds1080IMG_4148.0.0.jpg[/url<]

• wiak

my ancient hd 7970 has dual bios…

• nanoflower

Apparently Nvidia doesn’t believe you need a dual BIOS since this is their design. Not sure why they call it a Founders Edition instead of a Reference Edition other than hoping to sell more cards with the new name.

• ImSpartacus

Honestly, that kinda makes sense.

If there’s no built-in alternative bios like the 29X’s “uber” mode, then the official stance is that you need one bios. And that means no dual bios.

• Paine

OK, I do not care about gaming. But for future-proofing, I need something that will play 4K video, on a 70-inch 4KTV, audio processed or passed through a 4K receiver. Will I be OK with anything from a GTX 950-up? Or should I look to a 10×0?

• chuckula

I’d pay the most careful attention to the hardware decode support for H.265 and VP9, which are the two codecs that appear to be dominant for next-gen video encoding. Most modern Nvidia GPUs claim to support decoding those codecs at 4K resolutions in hardware, but watch out for the finer points like bit-depths and maximum frame rates.

• Firestarter

wise words, all hardware decoders are not created equal

• Deanjo

VP9 isn’t so critical. The sites that have VP9 also support the more popular MPEG h.26x series of codecs. VP9 is just as stillborn as VP8.

• Prestige Worldwide

Polaris 11 sounds like the ticket if you don’t mind waiting a bit longer and really don’t care about gaming performance.

• Neutronbeam

So what’s the expected timeframe for shipping mobile versions? This fall or end of year? Sooner?

• wiak

31th of may for amd 😛
      and i dont think a 1080 will go into any laptop this early

• nanoflower

Agreed. I expect we won’t be seeing mobile Pascal until 2017 so AMD will likely beat them to the punch with the new process tech for mobiles.

• Leader952

Mobile Pascal will be this year not 2017.

See this roadmap: [url<]http://cdn.techfrag.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/NVIDIA-2014-2017-GPU-Roadmap.png[/url<] Nvidia Mobile will be based on GP104-150 (June 2016) and the GP106 (July 2016). The roadmap above has been spot on for the GP100 and the GP104 so the GP106 (July 2016) and the GP107 (August 2016) are next up.

• Neutronbeam

Gracias, el Jefe952!

• End User

Awesome!

• DPete27

$700? Ummm, no thanks.

• ImSpartacus

But gais, it’s still cheaper than the titan x and it performs better! What a deal!

I’m buying three of them. You guys would be crazy not to stock up before people catch on to this great deal!

• albundy

There are many things given to us for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings is the true test of man! Take it and put card to purpose! Aye!

• wiak

and its a stock card, so its exacly the same as the 600 one… the box probably dont even have more padding

• USAFTW

Brilliant move by Nvidia marketing. Let’s say a base price of 599. Let’s also make a 699 SKU with no tangible goodness over the regular 599 SKU.
      Then, what we do is, sell all of them for 699!

• tipoo

379 cut down version that still beats Titan X? Umm, maybe yes. Maybe a tad lower for me.

• thanatos355

I’ll wait for the quieter, better cooling, and less expensive versions, thanks.

• DragonDaddyBear

Don’t blower designs tend to perform better in ITX cases? Either way, it is unfortunate that the Founder Edition will be more expensive for what will typically a lower performing cooling solution.

• chuckula

You can get the Founder’s edition with any HSF design you want, just so long as it’s ugly.
    — Jen-Hsun [s<]Ford[/s<] [u<]Huang[/u<]

Yeah, I’m sure it’s the same cooler as the Titan/780/980 underneath but the new shroud is fugly.

• NTMBK

JHH has learnt from his beloved car makers- change some of the chrome, slap a new badge on, and you have model year 2017!

EDIT: Just talking about the cooler, of course. The GPU is a nice big improvement 🙂

• JustAnEngineer

With 2/3 the power consumption, The Founder’s Edition GeForce GTX1080 should run quieter than my not-very-quiet EVGA GeForce GTX980Ti does with the same cooler.

• ChicagoDave

The 1080’s cooler actually has a new design that incorporates a vapor chamber.
        Presumably this will make it quieter at idle and allow it to OC higher when pushed since it’s more effective at dissipating heat.

The 1070 does not contain the vapor chamber so it’s probably the same blower as before.

It really sucks that the reference cards are $100 more expensive – as someone said above, blowers are great for small enclosures and I was planning on getting the 1070 reference for an HTPC build. They usually are the same price or even $20-$30 less than the custom cards. I’m guessing the prices will drop within a few months of the custom cards being out since most people will wait for those (due to price and fan preference).

• ImSpartacus

I’m obviously in the crazy minority, but I actually like the look of that shroud.

I agree that a third party cooler would probably be better as long add you had satisfactory case ventilation. And the price is obviously hilarious.

But on looks alone, I don’t think it’s that bad.