Friday the 13th Shortbread

Friday the 13th

1. Reuters: Apple invests $1 billion in

Chinese ride-hailing service Didi Chuxing

2. TechCrunch: Opera adds power-saving mode to its browser
  3. Office Blogs: New editor coming to Outlook 2016 for Mac
  4. Android Community: Fresh OnePlus 3 leaked

images of prototype confirms earlier leak

5. SamMobile: Samsung will launch

five Galaxy flagship smartphones in 2017

6. WinBeta: Windows Phone users heading to Android, says Kantar
  7. Newegg’s deals

Hardware

1. Neoseeker reviews AMD FX 8350

Black Edition CPU and Wraith cooler

2. Tech ARP’s desktop graphics card comparison guide rev. 33.8
  3. Ocaholic on Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L
  4. Benchmark Reviews on Gamdias Hermes keyboard
  5. TweakTown reviews Tenda AV2 1000

P1002P Powerline adapter starter kit

• ronch

I hope the OnePlus 3 will be a better product and a better deal than the OnePlus 2. The OP2 wasn’t bad but some websites thought it left more than the usual number of things to be desired (e.g. while the display was generally praised, one reviewer thought the display sucked although he just may have had a defective unit, and the camera was blasted for its less than stellar performance for a quasi-flagship device).

If I happen to accidentally sit on my Zenfone this year and kill it (it’s a flexy phone and I’m a heavyweight… the SD slot is no longer working and I even take great care not to bend it in the slightest) I just might go with the OP3. Otherwise it’ll probably be something like the OP4, assuming OP is still alive by then and the other Chinese marques like Xiaomi don’t catch up to OP in the value wars, although it seems they are slowly doing so.

• willmore

[quote<]WinBeta: Windows Phone users heading to Android, says Kantar [/quote<] 100% of 1% is still just 1%. This won't really make any difference in Android adoption numbers. Blackberry already moved to Android, so why not?

• blastdoor

[quote<]Reuters: Apple invests $1 billion in Chinese ride-hailing service Didi Chuxing[/quote<] This is consistent with my hypothesis that Apple will be selling transportation as a service, not automobiles themselves.

• 223 Fan

Smells more like a pay to play scheme.

• blastdoor

But to play what?

I don’t think the choice is random. If Apple just wanted to suck up to the Chinese, they could have donated a billion dollars to a charity for the crippled children of orphaned war veterans.

• 223 Fan

Who owns Didi Chuxing? Some friend of the regime? By giving to the friend does the regime spike a law detrimental to Apple? That’s the kind of thing I was talking about.

• blastdoor

Yes, I get it.

My point is that if the only objective were a bribe, there’s more direct ways to do that.

From what I’ve read, this is basically the Uber of China. I don’t think Apple just spun the bottle and landed on these guys. It’s entirely consistent with a strategy to offer an Uber-like service, but one that is vertically integrated so as to offer a product that is higher quality, more consistent, and more compatible with local laws and regulations. I think that approach makes more sense than any other approach I’ve heard of for Apple getting into transportation and designing their own vehicles. Selling cars directly to individual customers strikes me as laughably absurd.

If it turns out that the brother-in-law of some important government official also makes $20 million off this deal, well that might serve a purpose too.

• 223 Fan

The problem with the direct bribe route is that Apple would run afoul of U.S. law. I could be mistaken.

What, you don’t want to buy your iCar 6S Plus from the Apple store?

• blastdoor

[quote<]What, you don't want to buy your iCar 6S Plus from the Apple store?[/quote<] Exactly 🙂 The biggest question in my mind is whether Apple will try to go autonomous from the start or if they will have human drivers initially. My guess is that they'll be forced to start off with cars that have some limited autonomous driving capacity, but still require human drivers. They might not be able to make Apple-esque profits until they are able to ditch the humans. Up until then, this could be a break-even service that just enhances the ecosystem.

• 223 Fan

AaaS. Automobiles as a Service.

• ronch

Apple should sell oranges.

/ducks

• Deanjo

[quote<]Neoseeker reviews AMD FX 8350 Black Edition CPU and Wraith cooler [/quote<] One has to wonder "why bother?".

• chuckula

From TFA: [quote<]Released on April 22, 2016, the repackaged AMD FX 8350 CPU has a suggested retail price of $179.99 USD, though availability still appears limited at time of writing. The FX 6350 CPU that was also introduced along with the Wraith Cooler has a suggested retail pricing of $129.99 and seems equally hard to find. Hopefully AMD will get these two new offerings into the inventory channels, giving users the chance to use them in their new or updated builds.[/quote<] That's the sad part. The cooler has more availability issues than the silicon.

• blastdoor

Well, you will probably need a CPU to go with that AMD SSD.

• sweatshopking

I’LL NEVER LEAVE MY PRECIOUS WP FOR ANDROID. NEVER.

• chuckula

DON’T STOP BELIVIN’!
      HOLD ON TO THE FEELIN’!!

• bittermann

I really, really like my Lumia 640 but the abandonment is strong with this one…

• BabelHuber

PERHAPS AT THE END, YOU’LL END UP AS THE ONLY UWP CUSTOMER ON WM! A REAL INDIVIDUALIST!

• 223 Fan

Don’t blame us when some Android Hobbit shoves you into the cracks of Mt. Doom.

• BurntMyBacon

Or when Golem bites his finger off to break his grip on the “precious”.

• blastdoor

So what will you leave it for?

• sweatshopking

NOTHING. I’LL BUY 1520’S UNTIL I’M 10000000

• blastdoor

I have to respect that 🙂

• BurntMyBacon

I still have a 920. Pretty well stone age as far as phones go, but it works just fine. Got tired of waiting for Win10 Mobile official drop so jumped on the insider program. Admittedly more sluggish than when it had WP8.1 at the moment, but it is improving with updates. My wife has the same phone still on WP8.1 (and has no desire to get a new phone) so it is easy to do comparisons.

I say all that to ask this: How many 1520’s will you need to last you that long?

• Ninjitsu

Microsoft branded walkie talkies 😛

• albundy

wow, talk about MAXIMUM EFFORT!

• NTMBK

[quote<]GameSpot: Consoles will eventually be replaced by streaming, Ubisoft CEO says[/quote<] Ubisoft CEO will eventually be replaced by someone who understands games, gamers say

• NTMBK

Seriously though, screw streaming. “Oh, I just died and lost an hour’s progress because my neighbour fired up BitTorrent, and my latency spiked. Awesome.”

• puppetworx

This will be great for PC gaming.

• Cannonaire

I think he needs to stream a VR game on an expensive new headset. He might need an Ubisoft-branded [i<]bag[/i<].

• Zizy

Streaming from a PC? Definitely, and hopefully soon.
      Streaming from a server 100s km away? Haven’t tried, but probably wouldn’t want to play even turn based games on that.

• Jigar

Hostile takeover snake is already showing in the rear view mirror.

• bfar

Nicely put! Seriously, where do they get these people?

• mcnabney

Yeah, as a CEO of a game company I find it amazing that he missed out on how the console model works – extract license fees from game developers to use their platform. Or maybe he thinks that discreet consoles are going away?

• Timbrelaine

The latter. He’s thinking wishfully because he wants to cut out the middleman.

• xeridea

I would play a game with subpar graphics before I attempted to play a game streamed over the internet.

• blastdoor

I think people who ignore this prediction will suffer the same fate as the people who ignored Larry Ellison’s prediction that the network computer would replace PCs.

• chuckula

They’ll be proven right?

• blastdoor

Yup

• BurntMyBacon

I was having a bad day. Then I read this. ;’)