Apple pulls iOS 9.3.2 for the 9.7″ iPad Pro after bricking reports

Apple has pulled iOS version 9.3.2 for its 9.7" iPad Pro today after users reported that the update caused their devices to enter an unusable state. iMore's Rene Ritchie shared a Tweet with a statement from Apple that confirms the take-down.

The problem reared its head as early as Tuesday, when Ritchie posted a statement from Apple indicating that iOS 9.3.2 was bricking a "small number" of customer iPads with an "Error 56" message. "Error 56" indicates a hardware error with the device. Affected users are told to attempt an iTunes restore to recover the device, but MacRumors reports that the recovery process enters into a boot loop where the device is never able to restore. Apple says affected users should contact its customer support team for assistance. This issue doesn't appear to affect any other Apple devices aside from the 9.7" iPad Pro.

• HisDivineOrder

It seems like Apple having to pull updates is happening on a fairly regular basis now. Man, I bet Steve Jobs is spinning in his grave at the sheer lack of concern about their reputation shown by the Cook-run Apple.

• adisor19

Yeah, with Jobs out of the picture, slips are more frequent. I noticed this as well.

Adi

• End User

Antennagate
        urinal puck mouse
        toilet seat iBook
        G4 Cube
        3GS rattle
        3G heat discolouration
        iPhone 4 yellow display

The list goes on and on. Your memory is very short.

• sweatshopking

OH SNAP. CIVIL WAR UP IN HERE WIT DA PHANBOYZ

• adisor19

Antenna gate is bs. Mouse is bs as well. While awkward to hold, it did work just fine. iBook was fine, the fact that it’s not to your personal design taste does not make it bad. G4 Cube, I’m gonna give it to you only because it had those little cracks in its base forming a little to often. 3GS rattle, bs. 3G heat discoloration, I’ll give it to you as well only because the white one did experience the issue. iPhone 4 yellow display is bs. It was due to the glue not having enough time to cure before it got to consumer’s hands. After a few weeks, it went away.

So 2 out of 7. I’d say for the volume that Apple ships, it’s pretty darn good.

Adi

• End User

If you think that the urinal puck mouse and the toilet seat iBook are not outstandingly bad designs then you have truly found the reality distortion field.

My point is that Apple, under the helm of Steve Jobs, made some major blunders. Apple under Tim is faring no worse.

Holy sh|t! I totally forgot about the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lisa<]Apple Lisa[/url<].

• NeelyCam

Yes. It feels like Apple quality control has been suffering since Steve left the company..

• End User

Antennagate
        urinal puck mouse
        toilet seat iBook
        G4 Cube
        3GS rattle
        3G heat discolouration
        iPhone 4 yellow display

The list goes on and on. Your memory is very short.

Firmware bricking hardware is nothing particularly unique to Apple.

Having to physically go to an Apple [s<]store[/s<] zoo and deal with a "genius" to get anywhere on the other hand....

• adisor19

I’ll take the Apple zoo any day over the support call to india, thank you very much.

Adi

• anotherengineer

Tech support by day, Ranson ware support by night 😉

• brucethemoose

They get paid to break your computer, then get paid to fix it. Brilliant!

• DreadCthulhu

How hard can it be for Apple to thoroughly test updates on all their devices? Between the high profit margins, and the handful of devices that Apple makes, testing every variant for show-stopping bugs like this should be very doable.

I do wonder what difference is between the iPad Pros that get bricked by this update, and the ones are fine. I am guessing some sort of internal part that is supplied by two or more different vendors, and one of them was just different from the others that the update didn’t work with it.

• blastdoor

Totally right… plus they now have a public beta program, too. They must have some kind of management/organizational problem involving software testing.

• odizzido

I tried updating an apple device a week or two ago and it failed and the whole process looked really bad. I am not surprised to see this news.

• moog

Ugh. Trips to the Apple store are not fun – their geniuses always look so depressed.

• adisor19

Wouldn’t say depressed. More like overworked and in need of a time off. Still, It’s not too bad compared to the alternative of a support call outsourced to India somewhere and having to ship the device and then wait and wait for a replacement.

Adi

• tipoo

Not doing wonders for my wavering faith in Apple software, I’ll say that much. I’m in their hardware ecosystem, but I just don’t trust their software for weeks after launch. They’re losing the functional high ground here.

This isn’t even a 1.0, come on Apple. Three major patches and a bunch of sub-releases in.

Do I just have warm memories, or was it like this before the yearly release cadence (with three OSs now at that)?

• oldog

Hardware is easy, software is hard?

• shank15217

Looks like an isheep is finally awake

• 223 Fan

Meek and obedient you follow the leader
        through well trodden corridors into the valley of steel.
        What a surprise! The look of terminal shock in your eyes.
        Now things are what they seem. No this is not a bad dream.

Comments like this make me think that there’s more religious zealotry in the anti-Apple camp than the Apple fan boys. Also, you’re showing more zeal than lots of local churches.

• blastdoor

Apple derangement syndrome is a serious condition.

• tipoo

To be fair, and I don’t need to be to the above, I think that self-boasting that you’re the best leads to the inevitable consequence of people vehemently saying the opposite. Some Apple users are like that, some apple detractors are.

Me, I just want a good compute experience wherever I am, so I spend a little extra on it now that I’m able to.

• 223 Fan

Nah. I just wanted to quote Pink Floyd. I own lots of Apple and non-apple stuff.

• tipoo

This isheep does more advanced analytics on his computers than you probably know exists, and makes informed hardware choices on a multitude of factors. It’s still a great Windows 10 machine, worst comes to worst.

The world still waits on driveby internet troll commenters to wake up though

• trackerben

This type of stopper happens very infrequently. What’s more worrisome is that Apple’s response times on even more minor bugs have been slipping. They still have the most highly-available consumer OS, but they’re not as golden as three years ago.

• End User

I long for the days of [url=https://www.thurrott.com/windows/67305/convenience-rollup-makes-big-difference-windows-7-updating-still-broken<]Windows 7 update stability[/url<]: "Based on the feedback I received on Twitter yesterday, this issue–where Windows Update just sits there saying “Checking for updates…” but not actually doing anything—is common in Windows 7" This Windows 7 update bug is really fracked up. I had this happen on two key systems. the updater just sits there forever with nothing happening. You have to kill the update process, download the fix manually, and then it works. Nice job Microsoft.

• SuperSpy

Yeah I ran into that as well last week. Ironically it was while running the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to get it updated [i<]off[/i<] of 7. I spent an entire day waiting for the tool to download and install 10, and gave up for the day when it was quitting time and it was still spinning its wheels. Came back in the next day and it had helpfully rebooted for updates, effectively cancelling all the work it had done the previous day. I spent about a half hour cursing it 11 different ways when I realized it was installing about 20x faster than the day before. Apparently the overnight update was the one that fixes Windows Update slowness.