Toshiba releases 8TB X300 HDD

If you're dreaming of some big mechanical storage to go with one of the upcoming OCZ RD400 SSDs that Toshiba announced yesterday, there's some more good news for you. The company has released an 8TB SATA HDD in its consumer X300 series that could fill that HDD-sized hole in your life.

Like the previously released 4TB X300, the new X300 spins its 8TB at 7200RPM and has 128MB of cache. It uses perpendicular magnetic recording but opts for plain-old air rather than the helium we have seen in some higher-end drives. Other manufacturers have released 8TB drives, but only one other model is targeted at desktops, rather than enterprise or NAS storage—the Seagate 8TB ST8000DM002. The Seagate drive runs at 7200RPM, too, but with a beefier 256MB cache, so we'll have to wait and see how the Toshiba drive performs to figure out if it is a solid competitor to the Seagate model.

Tom's Hardware says the 8TB X300 is going on sale in Europe now but won't show up on this side of the pond until the third quarter of this year. The site also notes Toshiba has declined to release the drive's workload ratings and performance specifications until the it ships in the USA.

The thing I look to avoid in storage these days is SMR.

Any idea if these use SMR or are they saved from that disaster?

• Takeshi7

What’s wrong with SMR? It’s great for backing up large sequential files like videos. And an SMR drive theoretically reads just as fast a non-SMR drive.

• cygnus1

[quote<] It uses perpendicular magnetic recording [/quote<] Was that line added to the article after the fact, or did you miss it?

No I didn’t miss it.

Perpendicular and SMR are not mutually exclusive. In fact, I don’t know of a single SMR drive that isn’t using perpendicular recording.

• cygnus1

I haven’t personally seen any SMR drives that were specifically labeled as perpendicular, not ruling it out just haven’t seen it personally. Because of that I was under the impression that if the drive was labeled as perpendicular then it wasn’t shingled.

I don’t know if they have other info, but [url=http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing-components/storage/toshiba-plays-catch-up-with-8tb-performance-hard-drive-1321847<] other sites[/url<] are saying specifically not SMR.

PMR is “vanilla”. It’s been practically impossible to buy a drive without PMR in the last half decade because it completely redefined the cost/gb equation, and areal density equation for hard drives practically doubled thanks to PMR.

SMR drives mean PMR+SMR. Just because PMR isn’t mentioned doesn’t mean it’s not PMR. It’s PMR too, because not being PMR would be daft beyond belief. PMR doubles areal density for almost no penalty. SMR adds around 25% more for a huge write penalty. Using SMR without using PMR as well would be like cutting off both legs to lose weight rather than taking off your lead-lined jacket first.

• egon

I’m not against SMR as such, but the guessing game that’s formed around it is frustrating – I’d simply like clear information on whether or not a drive has it. Seagate set a bad precedent when it starting putting Archive drives in their external range without any mention in the product literature – now, you can’t assume that a lack of any reference to SMR means a product doesn’t use it.

Yesterday, I wanted to know whether the ST8000DM002 mentioned in this article is an SMR drive. Googled [i<]ST8000DM002 smr[/i<], found mixed messages from people seemingly guessing, nothing authoritative. Nothing in the product literature to confirm it one way or the other. So I asked Seagate. Their response today: [i<]Thank you for contacting Seagate support. We are sorry that we are unable to provide more the information than the specifications/data sheet below: [url<]http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/desktop-hdd/?sku=ST8000DM002#specs[/url<][/i<] Suspected I was wasting my time asking. In my googling yesterday, someone else reported they'd asked Seagate and were told it [i<]does[/i<] use SMR. Meanwhile, I personally suspect it doesn't, based on the product range it's in. But I can't be sure. That's a joke.

• Ushio01

So any reviews coming? how about a performance roundup for HDD’s that you haven’t done in years? I know SSD’s are standard for system drives but I’m sure I’m not the only one who wants a quite secondary HDD yet is having trouble finding reviews.

• thesmileman

“Perpendicular” you say?

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_PyKuI7II[/url<] Is that Actuator Man?

• Generic

Actuator Man. Actuator Man.
      Doin’ the things an actuator can.
      What’s he like? It’s not important.
      Actuator Man.

• Spunjji

Is he a dot,
        Or is he a speck?
        When he’s underwater
        Does he get wet?
        Or does the water
        Get him instead?

• sweatshopking

IS THIS THE [i<] FIRST [/i<] 8TB DRIVE?

Not even close. [url<]https://techreport.com/news/27031/shingled-platters-breathe-helium-inside-hgst-10tb-hard-drive[/url<]

• sreams

But that’s not an 8TB drive. 😛

LOL touché, I suppose…

• anotherengineer

You mean you don’t have an 8TB SSD?
      [url<]http://www.ampinc.com/products/solid-state-drive-ssd/2-5-sata-iii-prime-series-6gbps-ssd/[/url<]

• sweatshopking

no. I really just wanted to type first though.

• albundy

Yes. I think it’s the first 8TB that doesnt use helium or SMR. Then again, I’m too lazy to search. not that I dont want to, its just that I cant. CUZ ITS WISKEY WEDNESDAY!

• Takeshi7

The Seagate 8TB desktop drive (ST8000DM002) is the first 8TB desktop drive that doesn’t use helium or SMR.

The first 8TB non-helium, non-SMR drive ever was the Seagate Enterprise Capacity 8TB.