Microsoft announces 1850 more job cuts in mobile division

Hot on the heels of Gartner’s announcement that Windows Phone's market share had dropped to less than 1%, we have some unsurprising follow-up news this morning. The Verge is reporting that Microsoft intends to cut 1,850 more jobs, primarily in its mobile division in Finland.

This is the second round of job cuts to the company’s mobile division, which it purchased from Nokia back in 2013. The first came in July of last year, when Microsoft restructured its phone business in the face of a declining market share, cutting 7,800 jobs. This new round of cuts seem to signal that Microsoft is driving the last nail into the Lumia coffin. The company has indicated that it will continue to support existing devices, though.​

According to The Verge, Microsoft hasn’t quite given up on its smartphone ambitions, though. The company says it's still working on "great new devices," which we assume is a hint to the long-rumored Microsoft Surface phone. The company didn't give any indication when we might see these new devices.

• BIF

The day I knew Windows Phones were “done for” was the day a Microsoft Partner trainer came to give a class, and all he had was Windows phone and Windows (then 8), WITHOUT the menu. A good part of his presentation was not on the subject matter at hand, but instead was a sales advert for how much he liked “Metro” (I’ll ALWAYS call it Metro, so shove off) but none of us could tell what the hell he was doing because, well: Windows 8 without Start Menu; ick!

And this was an engineer who has (had?) a lot of respect (I won’t even say the product of his expertise, because it would not be hard for some to guess the man’s name; he’s THAT well known). He was obviously (to me) ordered to use the new hotness from MS, and it was…not hot.

The class was still good, but it didn’t move along as well as his classes usually did. I call that the “hypnotic sales push”, because it’s so easy to see right through the ploy. It’s like everybody on Fox selling beet juice, and most of talk radio selling “Direct Buy” 8 years ago and Ron Paul’s financial advice today.

They’re hypnotized! Hypnotic marketing. Get a famous personality to talk up your name and you’ll be set for life.

• ronch

It’s crazy how Microsoft had Elop sabotage Nokia so they can snap them up for peanuts later, only to not really push Windows phones and now this. It’s like they don’t know what they really wanna do in mobile.

It’s also sad how the confused folks up the ladder will just send a couple thousand souls down there home jobless just because they couldn’t make up their minds for years while they flush bajillions down the toilet, and they go home with a big fat bonus for spearheading the ‘restructuring.’

• NeelyCam

[quote<]It's crazy how Microsoft had Elop sabotage Nokia so they can snap them up for peanuts later, only to not really push Windows phones and now this. It's like they don't know what they really wanna do in mobile.[/quote<] That was [url=http://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/dr-evil-timewarp-ft.jpg<]Ballmer's[/url<] pet project. Satya Nadella didn't like the project, and is cleaning the house.

[quote<]Microsoft <snip> It's like they don't know what they really wanna do[/quote<] Yep. Shame about the destruction of Nokia and all those job losses but that's what happens when a multi-billion dollar monopoly is left to roam around in an unhinged and directionless state.

• Unknown-Error

What a waste. I played around with a colleagues Windows Phone and it was interesting. Takes a bit of getting used to but the concept IMHO had promise. Somehow Microsoft managed to @#$% it up. I won’t be moving away from my android phones anytime soon, but I admit Windows Phone could have been much much more. MS had some thing good and surprise, surprise,………ruined the opportunity.

They ruined it by destroying the ecosystem for devs.

Writing apps for iOS and Android isn’t trivial either, but unlike Microsoft an iOS or Android app doesn’t need constant recompiling at the drop of a hat just because Microsoft changed its mind yet again about which direction it wants its ecosystem to go in.

Not only do the constant changes make maintaining an app for Microsoft ten times more demanding of a dev’s time, the market is a hundred times smaller. What sane dev is going to bother with Microsoft?

There’s your answer for why Microsoft are tanking hard in a market that is almost entirely app/ecosystem driven. They’re still thinking like dinosaurs by thinking that devs will want to do everything they say when in fact they ought to have been doing everything the devs want to build their ecosystem instead.

• heinsj24

Exactly.

Microsoft has introduced too many deadends with great fanfare.

• BIF

I would have loved to see a valid 3rd competitor in the mobile space. But alas…

• albundy

another day another zune.

• ludi

[quote<]The company has indicated that it will continue to support existing devices, though.​[/quote<] Baha...baHA...baHahaHAhahAHAhAHAAAAAAAAA! I'll bet it Plays For Sure on a WindowsRT-equipped Zune using Windows Media Center, too.

This week is a good week. That stupid mobile platform that has been screwing over Microsoft’s OS platform for half a decade is continuing to shutdown and become (even more) irrelevant.

People losing their jobs is never good news, but I hope the next round of mass evictions is from the UWP/GFWL group, whatever they’ve been re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-named to these days.

• sweatshopking

your post is bitter and incorrect.

Oh look, it’s the “less than one percent of the market” zealot who likes the interface schizophrenia and everything about the Ballmer/Sinovsky disaster.

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
          Somebody doesn’t even understand what uwp is.

I understand perfectly that uwp and windows phone are dead.

• sweatshopking

well, UWP isn’t dead, and you’re complaining about something you clearly don’t understand. That’s silly. don’t do that.
            You’re welcome to dislike live tiles. Go to town.

Please list successful UWP apps, since it’s pretty easy to scroll through the news on this site alone and see articles where developers slam UWP.

If you search outside this site you’ll see a plethora of articles written by various professionals saying how bad UWP is for everyone.

UWP is never going to replace the win32 API unless Microsoft makes it completely open, and microsoft’s primary reason for making UWP is to take control and start to wall off the ecosystem for their own gain.

Dead, I tell you. and it’s not just me saying that.

• sweatshopking

You missed the announcement where they announced it was open? It is nothing more than an app container, appx. Previously, when the qqing was occurring it was tied to a store or side loading. That’s no longer the case. Anyone whining about an improved app container is nuts.

• BIF

You can be bitter and still be correct.

• south side sammy

wonder if they have H1B visa’s in Finland?

• NeelyCam

• kamikaziechameleon

MS’s lack of commitment to their own platforms is what makes people go crazy!

Between vista win 7 and win 8 we’ve seen them use allot of reckless abandon for their platform design and sensibilities. Heck win 10 is a blunt shiv in the back of all prior versions of the OS.

Then there is the xbox division and mobile devices… Windows RT anyone? So frustrating, they just keep fumbling their way through things.

• bittermann

Goodbye great little Lumia 640, I hardly knew ya! Never saw a manufacturer take itself down before with such a half-hearted effort. Yet they continue to make Win 10 more mobile like….go figure.

• Kretschmer

What is the point of UWP if your mobile ecosystem is dead? I feel like Microsoft’s right hand never realizes that the left hand is on fire…

Focusing on enterprise is a decade too late. Everyone is BYOD, now. Why roll out $300-500 phones if 99% of your users are covered by GOOD?

• sweatshopking

win32 needs updating regardless of phones. UWP is a necessary evolution whether phones work or not.

• bittermann

Dear lord no…shut your mouth.

• sweatshopking

you’re right. people love the messy registry and issues with the current system. Never improve them. Almost any one complaining about UWP doesn’t understand what it is.

• bittermann

I was inferring converting from Win32 to crappy UWP…try again skippy as I know exactly what it is and the headaches that come with it.

• sweatshopking

I’m not sure as to what you’re referring. You’ve used the unreleased bridge tool and know of issues with it? So that’s your own issue with UWP, and are cool with the rest of the changes.

• bittermann

LOL…if that twisted reasoning is what you got out of my comment, sure.

• adisor19

win32 was abandoned by MS with windows 8. Heck, even Windows RT didn’t implement it fully.

I really don’t get your point on this one.

Adi

• sweatshopking

that win32 is obsolete. It has been deprecated, and it should be.

• Ninjitsu

MAKE IT WIN64!

• sweatshopking

sure. i’m with you there.

• tipoo

Make it win so much, we all get tired of winning!

• Vhalidictes

MS could have been a phone hardware contender… they just chose not to. For some reason.

Hopefully someone will write a book and explain it all.

ON IT

• Kretschmer

WILL IT BE ENTIRELY IN CAPS? THAT SEEMS APPROPRIATE FOR A BALLMER BIOGRAPHY.

• jihadjoe

Next up: Xbox Phone!

• Voldenuit

[quote<]Hot on the heels of Gartner’s announcement that Windows Phone's market share had dropped to less than,[/quote<] Windows Phone. Market share so low, the mathematical concept to describe it has not been invented yet.

• Srsly_Bro

I considered that, too. Robert is searching for some descriptive term for the level of market share.

• Voldenuit

Call it a Riemann sphere, because it’s mostly imaginary.

• hexr

Urgh, let’s just pretend that’s what happened, shall we?

Fixed!

• sweatshopking

hey, robert, you notice there was an error?

• hexr

What?! NO! Why did nobody say anything!

• sweatshopking

idk. what a bunch of jerks

• BurntMyBacon

Say anything about what?
            What error?
            I don’t see it.
            Please don’t leave me hanging.

;’)

• Srsly_Bro

[quote<]Hot on the heels of Gartner’s announcement that Windows Phone's market share had dropped to less than,[/quote<] I think a number is missing in that sentence for market share.

• hexr

Sorry about that, too many edits, too little coffee. Fixed now!

• Srsly_Bro

I wasn’t trying to be a jerk! Keep the goods news coming!

• jihadjoe

Less than non-existent. Ouch!

• BurntMyBacon

My best guess is that they’re transitioning to the Surface approach and they’ll try to make 1 or 2 Halo devices to fit their vision of what the Windows Phone can be. If they can sell people on the idea, they hope that other OEMs will fill in the gaps.

Given their recent focus on convergence devices, I wouldn’t be surprised if they target business rather than the consumer. I always thought it would have played better to their strengths if they had started out pushing business features for the platform and worried about the consumer market once they were established. Back in the WP7 and early WP8 timeframe, many business focused features were missing from the Android and iOS platform at the time and Blackberry was struggling with relevancy. Unfortunately for Microsoft, Android and iOS have largely covered those gaps at this point and Blackberry seems to have slowed the downward spiral, so it will be a much harder battle.

It would seem that Microsoft’s one hope for phones, now, is to leverage their Windows 10 user base to convince developers to program for UWP. If they can get people on board, then the Win10 Mobile market will benefit by default. They won’t be able to much about market share without a solid market and a killer app. That Microsoft thinks its killer app is continuum further feeds the business oriented appearance.

I’ve been quite satisfied with my Lumia 920 and the marketplace has everything I want on my phone save for one feature missing in a cross platform app, so I think I’ll hang on to it until I see where Microsoft goes with their next phone. A business oriented phone with continuum actually appeals to me for my use case.

elite x3?

• BurntMyBacon

???

[i<]Edit: Never saw that before. Perhaps it is worth a look. I still think I'd be best off waiting to see if Microsoft has anything interesting to offer with their next phone. I'm not in a big hurry to get off of the Lumia 920. Its interesting that most of my friends have felt the need to upgrade 2 or 3 times since I got it and still don't realize they are on an old phone when they use mine. Some just recently have stated that after using mine, they would consider a Windows Phone next if only Microsoft had enough market share for them to be confident that it will stick around.[/i<]

• sweatshopking

Yeah, I getcha. I have a 1520, which i got after my icon, which i got after my original 1520, which i got after 8x, which i got after my 1020, which was a warranty replacement for my 920 was sold, which i won in a contest, after my samsung focus died. 920 was a beast, and does a decent job with windows 10.

• BurntMyBacon

I still have a functional Samsung Focus. It was pretty smooth for the low end spec it had, but I was happy to move on when I did. My 920 was the next in line and I haven’t yet found a need to ditch it, though I have family with 1520s and some friends with 630s/830s that I’ve had plenty of hands on time with.

I was seriously contemplating whether it would be in my best interest to move to a different platform for my next phone. I don’t like Apple’s business practices and the progression of restrictions I’ve seen since the first iPhone launched. Also, my time test driving an iPhone 3G right in the middle of the iPhone 4 launch and subsequent performance tanking OS upgrade soured me to the ecosystem. Android manufacturer specific UIs (TouchWiz et al) seemed to do little more than slow down the phone. HTC’s isn’t bad, but I still tend to prefer the Nexus devices for update and security reasons. Unfortunately, the more recent Nexus phones haven’t left me as impressed as the earlier ones did. Furthermore, most Android phones that I’ve gotten my hands on for any appreciable amount of time tend to leave me (and more importantly the owner) seriously wanting a different phone well before the owners two year contract is up. This included Samsung Galaxy and HTC One devices, though, oddly the Intel based Asus Zenphone gets an exception here for some [b<]inexplicable[/b<] reason. At different points, I considered Silent Circle, Ubuntu, and even Mozilla. However, after looking at the HP Elite x3, I feel mostly confident that I'll stick with some flavor of Windows Phone for the next go around.

• sweatshopking

I’m not going anywhere. I’m not snapchatting, and when i owned an android tablet, i didn’t install anything but a browser. I honestly don’t get the app obsession, which is why i’m a happy windows phone user. Browser, calculator, email, calendar, onenote, decent mapping, weather, news, camera, facebook, and twitter are all i use. no games. no crazy messaging apps. just the basics. android or ios offer me nothing but a subpar UI.

• BurntMyBacon

I don’t do a whole lot more than that. I’ll look at documents and spreadsheets and make an occasional minor edit. About the only complaint I have is the lack of OTR capable IM client.

• Vhalidictes

MS is welcome to do that, although letting the entire ecosystem die before coming out with a new version isn’t conducive to market share. Or fans. Or device availability… Or…

• End User

[quote<][url=https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/windows-phone/67443/windows-phone-morning<]Put even more simply, from the perspective of the Windows phone enthusiast, nothing has really changed: Microsoft will continue to artificially prop up the platform you love, and you can continue using the devices and maybe even buy new devices in the future. For the rest of the world—and seriously, this is like 99.9 percent of the population now, unfortunately—you can safely continue to ignore Windows phone. As you have always done.[/url<][/quote<]

• Wirko

[quote<]Windows Phone's market share had dropped to less than,[/quote<] Please don't correct.

• hexr

On the list of “ways to get myself relegated to financial news for the rest of my life,” failing to correct this is pretty high.

Sorry, fixed now!

• DancinJack

I was quite excited to see that “Nokia” is going to be making phones with Android. Here’s to hoping build quality is there.

• sweatshopking

Nokia has licensed the name out again.

• NeelyCam

Yes. Hopefully they don’t mess with the UI (like Samsung)

• Voldenuit

Sadly, I think nokia is just [s<]whoring[/s<] licensing out their name to Chinese OEMs to make phones. Don't expect 3310-levels of toughness and build quality.

• BurntMyBacon

[quote<]Sadly, I think nokia is just [b<][s<]whoring[/s<][/b<] licensing out their name to Chinese OEMs to make phones.[/quote<] That's not a very nice thing to say. (0_0) I mean , ... , you're not wrong , ... , but nobody likes to be told that to their face.

• Ninjitsu

HMD Global is a Finnish company run by Nokia veterans.

• The Egg

Hmm…..maybe they’re planning to go first-party only, and attempt to make the “Surface Phone” akin to the iPhone?

• sweatshopking

Rumours are that they’re trying to create a new class of device. not just a phone. Like the surfaces, they want to create a new segment.

• End User

CPU?

• sweatshopking

Not sure what the plan is there. Intel’s kind of screwed them in the x86 department. There is server based emulation on the elite x3. I’ve never actually seen a demo of how well it works though. and according to the product listing it requires a subscription: [url<]http://store.hp.com/us/en/ContentView?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&eSpotName=Elite-x3[/url<] that's a damn gorgeous looking device though. check out those bezels! Might be the next phone i buy in a few years!

• End User

Elite x3 is powered by an ARM CPU (Snapdragon 820). The 820 is a great CPU but ARM is the wrong platform for Windows Mobile. For Windows Mobile to be truly successful (Continuum) it has to be based on x64.

Windows (any version) without x64 is a dead OS. I’m stunned that Microsoft and Intel did not focus on that going back years ago.

• sweatshopking

I don’t disagree. The problem, however, is that phone x86 is dead.

• End User

Then it really is not Windows then. Windows is x64.

• cygnus1

That’s true, but it can definitely be UWP. And for consumption type apps and games, that might be ok.

• sweatshopking

windows x64 and windows mobile use the Onecore. windows 10 mobile as much windows as anything else. it isn’t win32.

• End User

OneCore is available now? I thought OneCore was going to [url=http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/05/onecore-to-rule-them-all-how-windows-everywhere-finally-happened/<]ship with the Windows 10 Anniversary update[/url<]. It only took Microsoft 20 years to get to this point (8 years too late).

• sweatshopking

windows 10 = windows 10. And the anniversary update brings it to the xbone. My understanding is that it’s already on the phones and pcs
            also, they’re the first ones to accomplish it, so where does that leave apple and google? even further behind?

• End User

Windows 10 x64 = Windows 10 x64. There are no other versions of Windows 10 worth mentioning.

iOS is based on OS X so, technically, Apple have had OneCore since 2007. 🙂

• curtisb

Windows 10 is already on the Xbox One. The Anniversary Update brings UWP to the Xbox One.

That’s what I meant.

• blastdoor

I wonder what that really means…. Actually, what does the word phone even mean? Modern smart phones are really computers that happen to have traditional telephone capabilities. The biggest difference between a phablet and a tablet are screen size and telephoning capabilities.

Is “surface phone” just a surface with an LTE modem and the ability to make cellular calls?

• sweatshopking

yeah, and it is looking like some damn advanced inking abilities. Perhaps on the phablet side. i’d use a 6.5inch phablet. My 1520 is sometimes a little small.

Yeah that worked so well with the Lumia 950/950XL, why not try it again?

• sweatshopking

Those were nokia designs microsoft finalized.

Unless the hardware was outright ugly or slow, I don’t think it matters. Microsoft has had Windows Phone 10 all to itself for the last 8 months, and it went so poorly they shut down almost the entire business

• sweatshopking

phones take more than 8 months to put together. i’m not suggesting they don’t have blame. they blew it. Also, 950’s are ugly. I was merely correcting a technicality.

• RickyTick

Paul Thurrott is reporting this as “Microsoft is formally abandoning the consumer and value phone market and will focus only on the business market”.
    [url<]https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/windows-phone/67443/windows-phone-morning[/url<]

• sweatshopking

That’s based on a letter from myerson where he states that.

• blastdoor

That makes a ton of sense

• Kretschmer

Does it? What kind of a market is left after all the BYOD is filtered out. Is that market waxing or waning?

• Concupiscence

Such a shame. I loved my little Lumia 820, but the lack of apps and a few rough edges in WP 8 sent me to iOS. Even now I’m tempted to fix the screen, slap a 128 gig microSD card into it, and keep it in my car just for playing music on the road.

• hasseb64

Tell me about it! Exactly my thought also. But I still need to buy a phone