Gigabyte shows off its thin Aero laptops and Aorus RGB Fusion Keyboard

In preparation for the Computex 2016 rush, Gigabyte has announced its new 14" Aero series laptops and the Aorus RGB Fusion Keyboard. The new Aero laptops are of the thin-and-light variety, and will be available in three colors: safety orange, lime green, and dark gray. Meanwhile, the Aorus RGB Fusion Keyboard carries on the trend of gaming laptops with RGB-LED-backlit keyboards. It will be fitted into the Aorus X7 DT, which will be on display at Computex.

Gigabyte is advertising the Aero series to a dual-use audience with both "for work" and "for game" labels. For that purpose, Gigabyte fitted the Aero with Nvidia's Optimus technology to switch from the integrated Intel HD Graphics 530 to a discrete Nvidia card. Buyers will have a choice between a GeForce GTX 965M or GTX 970M for rendering graphics on the Aero's matte 2560×1440 IPS display.

The machine is powered by an Intel quad-core Core i7-6700HQ with 2.6GHz base 3.5GHz turbo clocks. There's support for up to 32GB of RAM, with the base configuration requiring a choice of either 8GB or 16GB of 2133MHz DDR4 memory. The storage section comprises two M.2 PCIe x4 slots, which Gigabyte says offer a "dual storage system."

The Aero line stays trim at 0.78" (19.9 mm) thin and weighs in at just under 4.2 lbs (1.9 kg). The dimensions keep the device brief-casable at 9.9" deep and 13.2" wide (25.1 cm by 33.5 cm). The notebook packs all the I/O connectivity we've come to expect these days: 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1 for wireless networking, three USB 3.0 Type-A ports and one USB 3.1 Type-C port for peripherals, and HDMI 2.0 and a mini-DisplayPort for video. There's also a card reader thrown in for good measure, too. According to Gigabyte, the 94.24-Wh battery should be good for a whole day under a "productivity" usage pattern.

Let's look at the Aorus X7 DT's colors, previously announced at CES earlier this year. Its Aorus RGB Fusion Keyboard offers independent RGB LED lighting for each key, which Gigabyte claims is a first for any laptop keyboard. That translates to a fully programmable color palette of 16.8 million colors. In addition to color programming, the accompanying software offers full macro recording and shortcut functionality, which could come in handy for complicated Excel spreadsheets or MMO hotkey sequencing.

• rwburnham

As long as the cooling system isn’t too loud under load, I’ll buy this. I love gaming at 1440p, even it means lower a few other settings.

• TwoEars

Probably my next laptop, just give me the pascal version pretty please. And I would love a 1080p 14-incher IPS option. For me that resolution is more that enough on a 14-incher.

• ron_nelson

It looks like they’ve redone the P34 line. I bought one a few years back, so was thinking that upgrade season would be coming soon (either back-to-school or Black Friday times…)

I’m a fan of the thin & light with discrete video card, this looks sharp to me.

• chuckula

Ok, tell me I’m not the only one who has an irrational hankering for some Skittles.

• Spunjji

Once they release a Pascal update, this looks to be in a straight fight with the Aorus X3 Plus (v6 presumably) to be my next notebook.

• Anonymous Coward

Love the orange.

Yep. I like how that laptop looks interesting without resorting to dragons, eagles, robots, ninjas, owl-eyes, crazy jagged edges, overblown logos, tattoos, stupid swirly or angular decals, decorative lights everywhere, and of course the ever-pointless WASD cluster highlights.

I’m not sure bright orange is classy, but I like it.

• Raymond Page

That’s safety orange, for when you’re lost in the woods camping with your work laptop, rescuers can find you by the glow at night, or the day-glo during the day.

In all seriousness, I couldn’t find the proper names for their color schemes, so I chose representative names that were appropriate. I had some alternatives for the Lime green, but deemed them inappropriate. The gray is the same color as the base, so I wasn’t sure what to suggest without PR snazzing it up for me.

I too appreciate that the coloring on the Aero line is reasonable without being some overdone theme across the device. However, it lacks Thunderbolt 3 and an Iris Pro, so this is not the laptop for me.

• NovusBogus

WASD highlights piss me off like nobody’s business, not only does it look stupid but I don’t even use WASD keys for games.

• sweatshopking

Don’t buy a 900 series mobile gpu. just don’t.

• Srsly_Bro

What should I buy instead, cranky pants?

• sweatshopking

you should wait for the 1000 series.

• ronch

Such logic. Simple but logical.

• tipoo

Unless the 1000 series is rebrands of 28nm parts.

• Spunjji

Hopefully they won’t need to do that at this end of the range – GTX 970M is based on GM204, so there’s no reason why GP104 couldn’t be massaged / cauterised to a similar power envelope.

• tipoo

One would hope. Depends on what 14nm production is like or the relative costs of that vs the old fab. I don’t really trust either Nvidia or AMD not to pull that stuff though, if 28nm is cheaper.

• qasdfdsaq

Nah. You should wait for the 2000 series.

• allanmac

Typo:

The article is linking to the exotic Core i7-6770HQ instead of the more mundane i7-6700HQ.

Was it a Freudian slip because you actually want a Skull Canyon NUC on your desktop?

• hexr

You must know Ray’s preferences well 🙂

Good catch, fixed now.

• Raymond Page

I must’ve fat fingered it from muscle memory. I do like my Iris Pros.

• tipoo

Speaking of which AT has a nice review up of it. Seems nice, albeit not the best value per dollar out there, but compact for what it is. Otoh it was a bit larger it maybe could have kept the GPU clocks up though.