Patriot adds 2TB model to Ignite SSD lineup

In the flood of start-of-Computex news, Patriot Memory has announced a new addition to its Ignite line of SATA SSDs, the Ignite 2TB. This drive sets a new capacity high-water mark for the company's performance SSD series.

Like other drives in the Ignite series, the 2TB model uses the tried-and-true Phison S10 flash controller. The Phison S10 is a quad-core controller with support for up to eight flash channels. Since the Ignite 2TB maxes out the controller's channels and the flash chips in the drive are among the biggest in production, it's likely Patriot will have to find a new controller if it wishes to expand the Ignite's capacity further.

Patriot didn't release any performance numbers in its press release for the 2TB model, but the company says its 960GB model should be able to hit a sequential read speed of 560MB/s, a sequential write speed of 545MB/s, 80K random-read IOPs, and 75K random-write IOPs. Since both drives max out the flash channels on their controllers, it's reasonable to think that their performance will also be in the same ballpark.

The drive will ship with Patriot's 3-year warranty, and the company expects to take the first orders for the unit in the fourth quarter of this year. Patriot's press release didn't include any pricing information.

• egon

Guessing the press release’s “4th Quarter of 2016” refers to calendar year, meaning availability is 4+ months away.

Surprising that almost a year since the 2TB Samsung 850s went on sale, they remain the only ‘regular’ 2TB SSDs on the market.

• AgentEscher

I heard you like cores. So we put 4 cores in your SSD.

Pretty soon SSDs will come with graphics chips for their onboard health displays. Computers all the way down…

• Srsly_Bro

the FOURTH 2 TB SSD??????????

• DrCR

Of course, for a patriot. They are a bit over a month early though.

• shank15217

Looks like a standard height 2.5 inch drive, may not fit in many laptops.

• Duct Tape Dude

Really? What kind of world do we live in where a 9.5mm laptop drive doesn’t fit in many laptops?

• danazar

One with thin laptops that only accept 7mm drives.

• Duct Tape Dude

7mm has always seems like such a niche to me. So few laptops are that thin and still accept a full size 2.5″ drive, versus only an mSATA or M.2 drive. I know they exist, I just also think they’re unpopular.

• Waco

I haven’t seen a full-height 2.5″ slot in a laptop in years. Anything with a 2.5″ bay is 7mm.

EDIT: Talking specifically about non-DTR laptops, ultrabooks, that sort of thing.

• Duct Tape Dude

I’m probably out of the loop–my 2014 ultrabook has a 9.5mm 2.5″ bay. Most new ultrabooks just have M.2 slots, and the other notebooks I’ve been following are closer to 20mm and have 9.5mm bays.

• Waco

DTRs always seem to have the tall bays. I should have prefaced my comment with something to the effect of I only tend to touch ultrabooks. 😛

• Takeshi7

But that does mean it will fit in a PS4. Such overkill.

9.5mm drives fit in a PS4. I had to slap the gap-filler insert thing onto the Sandisk 1TB 7mm drive i got to replace the stock drive so it wouldn’t flop around in there.