Patriot Memory announces budget Spark SSDs

Patriot's on an SSD roll these last couple of days. Yesterday the company announced the 2TB Ignite SSD, a high-end drive based on a maxed-out Phison S10 controller. Today the company is announcing the Spark,a new line of low-cost SSDs based off of the Phison S11 controller.

The Phison S11 is a budget flash controller for MLC, TLC, and 3D NAND flash chips. For the Spark, Patriot is planning use TLC chips from an unnamed vendor. The full Spark lineup will include a 128GB, a 256GB, and a 512GB drive. The company says that these SSDs will top out at 555MB/s of sequential reads and 500MB/s sequential writes but declined to provide any data on random I/O.

AnandTech reports that the Phison S11 controllers can be used without a DRAM cache, but we don't know whether Patriot has opted to forego the feature in the Spark. Given the low price that Patriot expects these drives to fetch—just $105 for the 512GB version— it's possible that it did. Adata announced a similar low-cost SSD that goes DRAM-less at Computex today, so it wouldn't be the first new-release budget SSD that lacks the feature.

Patriot protects the drive with a 3-year warranty, and expects to start shipping units in the third quarter of this year.

• ronch

I wonder how far this race to the bottom would go.

I imagine a similar scenario in the car industry where car makers sell cars with no spare tires, no doors, and no windshields just to drop the priceas as low as they would go.

• Visigoth

Lat time I used a Patriot USB flash drive, it lasted about 3 minutes before giving up the ghost. Reliability is 0%, as far as I’m concerned. They’ll have to prove themselves in every reliability test before their crap touches my system.

• Redocbew

Inside your computer, aren’t sparks usually a very bad thing?

• BurntMyBacon

Waiting for the sound of the other boot.

I’d sure like to see the impact that dropping the DRAM has on performance, consistency, and in particular, reliability. I’d hate to have to tell customers that SSDs are universally better performers than HDDs, … , except for DRAM-less Phison S11 based drives. Would harken back to the jMicron controllers of old.

• modulusshift

With a three year warranty, I’d just get one of these and a TB drive to back it up and for bulk storage, for the price of a 950 Evo.

• Srsly_Bro

These drives aren’t getting any love around here.

• MaxTheLimit

Pending overall performance and reliability, SSD’s at this sorta price is going to probably cause mechanical drives to be phased out of most desktops/laptops. Even in moderately priced machines. About time.

• JDZZL

so, 512gb on an SSD for less than $100, i’m looking out my window for flying pork…

• DrCR

Yeah, SSDs seem to be the one area in the present PC realm that’s moving at a rather fast clip.