Microsoft invites VR devices to Windows Holographic platform

It didn't take long for a platform war—well, maybe more like a skirmish—to develop between the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive. With Windows Holographic, Microsoft thinks it has a solution of sorts. Redmond has announced that it is opening up its platform to all virtual reality and augmented reality devices.

Microsoft has been developing Windows Holographic for its upcoming HoloLens device. Unlike the Rift or Vive, the HoloLens offers what Microsoft calls "mixed reality" by displaying images on a clear screen in front of a user's eyes. Windows Holographic builds on elements of the common Windows platform—in fact, all holographic apps are actually Universal Windows apps. Windows Holographic provides mixed/virtual reality components that applications can use, like a holographic shell, an interaction model that integrates hand gestures, and spatial mapping.

Since there's considerable overlap between the components necessary for Microsoft's mixed reality functionality and those necessary for the Rift and Vive experiences, a common platform makes sense, and might prove beneficial to both developers and consumers. Microsoft claims that it already has a number of hardware partners on board, including Intel, AMD, Qualcomm, HTC, Acer, Asus, CyberPowerPC, Dell, Falcon Northwest, HP, iBuyPower, Lenovo, and MSI. Considering the mixed reaction to Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform, however, it's hard to say how the burgeoning virtual reality community will respond to Microsoft's plans.

• ronch

I honestly wonder if using mixed reality tech to design a store (as these guys seem to be doing) really makes the process easier and less complicated. I also wonder how it actually feels talking to an artificial AI. Wouldn’t you feel silly talking to it like you’re talking to an actual person, emotions and all?

It’s cool, though. No denying that. Don’t get me wrong: I would love to strap on a VR headset, lie on the bed, and imagine myself exploring some far away place, but I’m not sure it will feel a lot more realistic than me staring at my monitor and going through that same digital environment. At this point, VR seems like nothing more than strapping a pair of mini displays on your face.

Just being totally honest. I haven’t tried it, yes, but that’s how it looks to me at this point.

• Phaleron

really excited for mixed reality over VR

I got to try all the major VR experiences at the Vancouver Consumer VR Expo recently and then one booth had a hololens. That thing is amazing! Mixed reality for certain experiences is going to be the next big thing in computing I think. VR will have a place for games but beyond that I can’t see VR really catching on.

• Ninjitsu

Mixed realities of Microsoft’s HQ…

• DreadCthulhu

UWP apps? Those make me spin 360 degrees and then walk away.

• Pzenarch

… so when you do this 360° turn, then walk away, are you walking backwards? 😛
      ed. I think you mean a 180° turn, assuming forward motion 🙂

• DreadCthulhu

[url=http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/why-they-call-it-an-xbox-360<]I guess the joke spun around your head[/url<]

• synthtel2

I envisioned 540. More spinning = funnier?

• ebomb808

The next UWP related article on TR that doesn’t reference Tim Sweeney’s rantings will be the first.

• rxc6

It’s a shame that such an inaccurate ranting keeps getting quoted.

• yogibbear

Facepalm.

“Hey you guys, your platforms are dumb and exclusive, so Imma fix it for you: use this third platform instead.”

—Satya Nadella, probably.

• BurntMyBacon

[quote<]"Hey you guys, your platforms are dumb and exclusive, so Imma fix it for you: use this third platform [b<]that is also dumb and exclusive, but in a different way making it better[/b<] instead." —Satya Nadella, probably.[/quote<] Fixed That For Ya

Ah, touché. lol

• Rageypoo

I put on my robe and wizard hat

• willg

Embrace, extend, and extinguish

• Klimax

Funny, how stupid and idiotic memes keep being repeated despite them never having any basis in reality. Especially dumb when considering they got manufactured in 90s.