Samsung adds a suit of armor to its flagship with the Galaxy S7 Active

Samsung has announced the Galaxy S7 Active, the AT&T-exclusive ruggedized version of its best-selling Galaxy S7. Anandtech reports that the new phone's specs are pretty close to the original S7's, and that's a good thing given the regular version's performance and popularity.

The regular Galaxy S7 already has an IP68 rating for its dust resistance and ability to survive being submerged in up to a meter and a half of water. According to Anandtech, the S7 Active adds improved shatter resistance, shock resistance, and an extended operating temperature range. That extra durability lets it meet the MIL-STD-810G certification for ruggedized phones.

Like we noted earlier, the S7 active is built around the same guts as the regular S7. It's powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 SoC, 4GB of LPDDR4 memory, and 32GB of onboard storage. Android 6.0 Marshmallow (with Samsung's TouchWiz skin) gets a 5.1" Super AMOLED canvas to play on. Unfortunately, the Active's 4000-mAh battery isn't removable, presumably to help the device's environmental certifications. On the other hand, the ruggedized phone still comes with a microSD slot, a feature that the S6 Active lacked.

AT&T already lists the phone with a limited set of specs and a note that the device is "coming soon." The S7 Active will be available in "sandy gold," "camo green," and "titanium gray" finishes. Neither AT&T nor Anandtech give any indication of when the device will arrive or at what price.

• Unknown-Error

The features are very mouthwatering. Wish there was an unlocked version of this phone.

• ImSpartacus

The battery is gigantic, so that’s kinda cool.

• jihadjoe

Srsly reading 4000mAh made me want to buy it.

I cannot stress how awesome a giant battery is. I’ve been using the bombproof Droid Turbo 2 for six months now and the 3760 mAh is so nice.

No longer do I have to worry about rationing my phone usage throughout the day; I can go bonkers and spend both directions of my commute gaming or watching TV episodes. No reasonable amount of web searches, emailing or phonecalls can run the thing dry.

I’m not a big fan of Samsung’s UI but the waterproof, dustproof, toughened, all-day phone gets a thumbs up from me and I just laugh at people with cracked screens plugged into extetnal batteries all the time.

• Anonymous Coward

For my usage pattern, a Moto X Play goes 6 days or so on a charge. (I use my phone for short calls, SMS and as a camera… not much email, no surfing.) Companies making phones like that should get some credit, there were certainly options that had similar or hotter hardware with less battery.

• slowriot

You’ll need it. Because at least with the S6 Active’s here at work the large physical buttons get pressed constantly in your pocket and cause the phone to use way more battery than intended. The S7 Active looks like it has the same problem.

• ronch

Dropped my Zenfone 6 a few weeks ago at the airport from about 4 feet. Metal strip meets ceramic/porcelain tile. It’s a miracle the display didn’t break but the SIM cards kept disconnecting but I was able to fix it. Unfortunately, the phone takes 6 hours to fully charge now instead of the usual 3.5 hours. No protection whatsoever on my phone. No screen protector either (what the heck is Gorilla Glass for?)

I want one of these things. Or maybe one of those CAT phones that look like you can stomp over them and they’ll just laugh.

• SomeOtherGeek

+1 on the CAT phone suggestion.

• Deanjo

[quote<]Android 6.0 Marshmallow[/quote<] So it is already waiting for a carrier to send out a 6 month old update to 6.0.1?

• ImSpartacus

Such a shame…

• NeelyCam

And it comes with AT&T bloatware. [i<]For free![/i<]

• chuckula

CALL IN THE NEXT 10 MINUTES AND WE WILL THROW IN AT&T BLOATWARE — A -$199 VALUE — ABSOLUTELY FREE!

• NeelyCam

WE WILL EVEN LOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER.

• willmore

It’s a security feature! You’re welcome!

It’s a shame this is a carrier-exclusive device, because that status probably means it’s missing features (CDMA radio) and/or LTE bands that would let it work on other carriers.

• mcnabney

The LTE bands are on the SoC now, so that won’t be a problem. The antenna could be different, limiting function if added to another carrier, but I doubt Samsung would mess with an existing antenna design. I’m sure it will be jailbroken and put on T-Mo within days of launch.
      Don’t know if CDMA will still be in the phone (but reviving it might only require a native S7 firmware update)