Deals of the week: unlocked Skylake CPUs and more

Happy Friday gerbils, and welcome to another Friday deals-of-the-week post.  We're hot off another Nvidia launch today, although you might have to fight to find a GeForce GTX 1070 you can actually buy. So how about some deals with a bit more stock behind them? Take a look.

• I know, I know. Everyone is excited about graphics cards today. But you can’t run a GPU without a CPU, so how about some enthusiast processor deals? Newegg is offering two of Intel’s top-end Skylake CPUs at a decent discount today. The quad-core, eight-thread Core i7-6700K is on sale for $314.99, while the four-core, four-thread Core i5-6600K is on sale for $219.99. Both processors are members of Intel's Skylake family, and both have unlocked multipliers for easy overclocking.

• If you're tempted by one of the Skylake processors above, you’ll need a Z170 motherboard to overclock it. Lucky for you, we’ve got just the thing. Newegg has MSI’s Z170-A PRO for just $79.99 right now. We were happy to recommend this board at $115 in our most recent System Guide. This mobo has the all the basics we'd want from a Z170 board, including USB 3.1 and an M.2 slot. It doesn't have a lot of frills, and it lacks SLI support, but it's hard to complain about those omissions at this price.

• What better thing to go with a new CPU and motherboard than some slick DDR4 memory? Newegg has G.Skill's 16GB TridentZ DDR4-3200 kit up for $74.99 right now. We used the slightly slower DDR4-3000 version of this Trident Z RAM in our Breadbox build a few months back, and the kit made a rare impression for its good looks and solid performance.

• If you're looking for a new motherboard to go with a Broadwell-E CPU, Newegg’s got you covered. The Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI is $209.99 today. This ATX monster has four PCIe x16 slots, plus eight memory slots with support for up to 128GB of DDR4 RAM. For peripheral connectivity, it has a USB 3.1 Type-C port, A USB 3.1 Type-A port, and Thunderbolt support.

• We also have a return customer for our deals-of-the-week this week, the Asus MG278Q. This 27" display has a 144-Hz, 2560×1440 TN panel and FreeSync support. We recommended the MG278Q in our peripheral staff picks at $570, and while we have seen it go cheaper than its current $399.99 price tag, it’s still an easy inclusion for this week's deals.

• Still with us, all the way down here? We’ve got one last deal for you. Toshiba's HDWD130XZSTA 3TB 3.5" SATA HDD is $84.99 on the 'Egg right now with promo code  ESCEKEN26. This is a solid deal for a well-respected name in spinning storage. While inexpensive 7200RPM disks might not get your heart racing, all that data has to live somewhere.

There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at the Microsoft Store, the HP Store, and Das Keyboard's shop.

That's all for this week, folks. If we missed a great deal somewhere, be sure to share it with other TR readers in the comments.

• coolflame57

Newegg has the r9 290 down to $225 with rebate, or $245 without. Be warned it is the horribly loud stock cooler variety.

If you pay $5 more on the non-rebated version, you can get the Visiontek r9 390 with a significantly better cooler.

[url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600473871%20600473877%20600536049%20600565504&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=90[/url<]

• ronch

You don’t have to wait for TR’s deal of the week to get a still-capable FX-8350. Newegg sells them for $160 all week. It’s not a Ferrari, but it’s still a 370Z.

Disclaimer: I get no commission from AMD whatsoever. Just amazed at what $160 buys you these days in CPU Land.

• BoilerGamer

“I know, I know. Everyone is excited about graphics cards today. But you can’t run a GPU without a CPU”

True, but you don’t necssarily have to have a new one.

Since Purchasing my 3770K in 2012, which I am still using
    GPU changes:
    EVGA 670 FTW
    MSI 680 Lightning
    EVGA 780 SC ACX
    EVGA 980Ti Hybrid
    EVGA 1080 Founders Edition(Step-up, arrived today)

That’s 5 GPU upgrades in 4 years, and I didn’t even bother with the 780 Ti or 980 upgrades when I could have.

• willmore

You keep a bit more current than me. I have done GF9800GTX+ and MSI Radeon HD7850 in that time. πŸ™‚ But we may add another to that list in the coming months. I sure hope so…

• ronch

What do you do with your old graphics cards?

• Shobai

Should the Sam’s Club link be pointing at Best Buy?

• w76

Nice set of referral links, I’ll try to remember those in the future, though most of my online shopping ends up in that little South American river. Those Das Keyboards have been tempting me for a while, though…

• dragontamer5788

[quote<]little South American river[/quote<] Little? Anyway, Amazon ships to PO Boxes, which make things far more convenient for myself. Newegg doesn't ship to PO Boxes. πŸ™ Newegg is a great company, but they need to realize that its an inconvenience for me to keep up with orders and then redirect them to a drop-off point. I live in a relatively urbanized area, roughly ~5000 people will pass by the front of my house (by car or by foot) so I don't like the thought of packages sitting in front of my house. Shipping to a secure PO Box is far superior. Or if they can get USPS shipping so that the package arrives inside of my locked mailbox (Only US Postal Service has the master key, and I have the other key).

• Srsly_Bro

I use UPS where you can have the package delivered to the store, and pick if up when you want. Fedex also offers a similar option. I find it easier to go to a UPS store than the post office.

• ThatStupidCat

If I order something from Newegg (now of in the future), how do I make sure TR gets credit for getting me there? I just click on the Newegg link above then go to the item I want? The refer disappears once I start poking around and clicking on things.

• dragontamer5788

[url=https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Monitor-27UD68-P-LED-lit/dp/B01CH9ZTI4<] Note that the IPS 4k Freesync LG 27UD68 [/url<] is hovering at ~$500 right now.

• OneShotOneKill

I have one of these. It was amazing… Untill a thin vertical blue line showed up.