Razer’s OSVR headset gets more bite with a higher-res screen

Razer's Open Source VR project has long been a quiet third option for folks looking to strap on a VR headset. The affordable price tag of its Hacker Development Kit (HDK) hardware came with one drawback, though: a relatively low-resolution, 1920×1080 screen. OSVR is giving its headset a major upgrade today with the HDK 2. The new hardware will come with a 2160×1200 OLED display running at 90 Hz, putting it on par with the offerings from the industry's two big players.

HDK 2 keeps some of the more intriguing features of its predecessor. Razer claims its HDKs have an "image quality enhancer" feature that's meant to reduce the screen-door effect caused by the low-resolution screen and the short eye-to-screen distance of VR headsets. The HDK also has diopter adjustments ranging from -2 to +4.5 for users that need corrections for their vision, something both the Vive and the Rift lack.

According to reporting from Polygon, the HDK 2 is compatible with SteamVR games that can be played with a traditional controller, as well as titles written with OSVR's own SDK. The headset will have a $400 price tag when it launches in July.

• DrCR

DOA due to lack of Facebook integration.

• DrCR

I don’t understand the downvotes — no Facebook and no advertisements, who’s going to want to buy this.

• GrimDanfango

I just hope it at least phones home a constant stream of data about my VR movements, or it’s a definite no-sale for me!

• psuedonymous

“an 2160×1200 OLED display ”

Is this actually a single 2160×1200 OLED panel, or a pair of 1080×1200 panels as in then Rift and Vive?

• mdkathon

I would assume Razer is going to be sourcing something the same as or similar to the screens found in Rift and Vive. Only because it should be less expensive than asking for a “new screen” to be made.

I suppose we’ll have to wait and see though. Looking forward to a teardown. Some of the reviews of the Vive and Rift have placed me in the “wait and see” camp even though I want-want-want to VR so badly. Cost prohibitive be damned.

• NTMBK

[quote<]Razer claims its HDKs have an "image quality enhancer" feature that's meant to reduce the screen-door effect caused by the low-resolution screen[/quote<] Or as it is more commonly known, "Vaseline"

• Freon

Ha, what popped in my mind was a light touch on the lens with some 2000 grit.

• Anovoca

I’m surprised the outside isn’t adorned with rgb LEDs. Are you sure this is made by Razer?

• Kretschmer

Maybe they’ve “seen the light”.

• Generic

The RGB LEDs are on the [i<][b<]inside[/b<][/i<].

• Nike

Funnily enough, they might actually be a desirable addition there.

[url<]http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2016/05/05/microsoft-sparselightvr/1[/url<]

• vshade

Let’s hope they solve their driver issues, and that removing the headset from your head don’t make you need to reboot your pc

• YukaKun

It’s actually a nice little device. Might not be as immersive as the Vive, but it appears the price tag more than makes up for it.

Cheers!

• DragonDaddyBear

[quote<]... HDK 2 is compatible with SteamVR ...[/quote<] I like it already. I look forward to the review.

• DreadCthulhu

That diopter adjustment is nice; I wear glasses and fitting them under a headset is unpleasant. And props for Razer releasing it for the most open dev platform. This is the First VR headset I might want to buy.

• DoomGuy64

Looks good, except it’s from Razer. Everything I’ve ever bought from them falls apart, jams, and disintegrates from light use. They’re going to have to overcome that reputation to get a purchase out of me.

• Voldenuit

Don’t forget you’ll have to sign up with razer.com just to get drivers for this thing.

• Umbral

The original Diamond Back was one of the longest lasting mouses I’ve ever had, the Deathadder that replaced it didn’t make it a year. I have no idea what happened in the intervening years but it turned Razer to complete shit.

• Wildchild

Same. I’ve had mice from no-name brands that have worked for years than their crap and were a 1/3rd the price.