Windows 10 build 14366 brings a bug fix bonanza to Insiders

Windows Insider program lead Dona Sarkar updated the Windows blog yesterday afternoon to announce the release of Windows 10 Insider Preview build 14366 and Mobile build 14364. This update isn't as exciting as some of the past updates since it focuses primarily on performance and stability updates, but improvements in those areas are always welcome.

Major fixes in this update include a solved crash in the privacy settings dialog, the squashing of buggy behavior with multi-monitor configurations, and an end to high CPU usage in the Edge browser under certain circumstances. Devices with multiple batteries should now present the correct battery life statistics, and active VPN connections should no longer prevent PCs from sleeping. Aside from those things, the laundry list of fixes includes a lot of general spit and polish for the upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary update.

Keen readers will note that Windows Insider program manager Gabe Aul is no longer running the show with this update, as well. Aul said his goodbyes to the program a couple weeks ago in a post on the Windows Experience blog. It turns out that the Windows Insider program was a side job for Aul, and as time went on, it was beginning to interfere with his primary position at Microsoft, so he tapped Sarkar to take over the program. You can read more about Sarkar's background here.

Microsoft still hasn't provided us with a launch window for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update beyond "summer," meaning it could still be over three months away. Check out our past coverage of the Anniversary update if you're in the dark.

• dikowexeyu

This is what “bonanza to insiders” mean:

As an insider, I had a free Windows 10 running on vmware.

It “upgraded” to Windows 10 Pro without my permission, and after that, is no more “activated”, and cannot find the server, because is “unable to find the company activation service” with a perfectly working network.

What company?? It was running on my PC.

[url<]http://i.imgur.com/Fmkm8Gk.jpg?1[/url<] That's just the last nail in windows 10 coffin. It never fails to get worse.

• sweatshopking

Windows 10 ultimate? Where did you find that unicorn? [url<]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions[/url<]

• sweatshopking

WHEN DO THEY FIX THE TERRIBLE FISHER PRICE UI

• Oriflamme

There’s no fisher price UI, calm down.

That was Windows 8.

• sweatshopking

STILL NO AERO. STILL UGLY FLAT. STILL TERRIBLE. #WIN74EVA

• anotherengineer

no no

W10, with shutup10 and classic shell with Win7 GUI

😉

• Vaughn

Install windows 7 already and quit your crying dude.

• shank15217

You can always install it on console only mode. GL

• allreadydead

Am I the only who is suffering from start menu bug ? I upgraded from 8.1 and it went fine until someday start menu and all the metro apps stopped working.
    Apparently, it’s a bug related to system being unable to reach some system files related to apps due some overdone restrictions. Event Log is full of access denied to user profile errors..

shouldnt be too hard to fix, yet, it’s around more than a year :\

• Duct Tape Dude

Probably. Check your user folder’s permissions and see if they’re set to readonly for certain users or groups (or everyone). I’ve had Windows lock up folders before due to a hard shutdown.

• allreadydead

It’s already everyone full control. Internet is full of error reports and many ways to fix. But it’s only temporarily fixes it.
        2 links about the problem from microsoft;
        [url<]http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/critical-error-start-menu-and-cortana-arent/5256ebee-2c77-4003-87be-1597ab10cb4d[/url<] [url<]http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu[/url<]

• Duct Tape Dude

Eep… That thread is so angry (and rightfully so). It’s beyond me. I’ve done a similar fix for OneDrive as the second link, basically move to a new admin account, and everything worked. Best of luck though fixing the most iconic part of Windows!

• Ikepuska

I had a similar problem. I never did get it fixed directly, so what I ended up doing was creating a new account, and migrating everything over to it, and then deleting the old one. The issues are tied to specific accounts, so if you log in as a different/new account the problem goes away.
            ETA: At least in the three cases I’ve dealt with so far.

• w76

In other words, as much as Microsoft says it’s OK to do in-place upgrades, the smart money is still always on installing from scratch. My suggestion would be to do that; MS may never fix it, and there may be other benefits besides.

There are quite literally hundreds of different start menu bugs, a dozen of which can cause the Start menu to suddenly “forget” all your installed programs and apps.

The most common issues are security & privacy settings, Cortana breaking stuff, indexing errors and previous explorer-shell addons causing problems if the W10 was upgraded from 8 or 7 rather than clean installed.

There is no quick-fix, you have to google and try EVERYTHING until the specific issue(s) making your start menu useless are fixed.

It’s frustrating that something as fundamental to the user experience as the start menu is still so bug-ridden and woefully unstable for so many people and different scenarios, but that’s where we’re at right now. Start menu stability and functionality went downhill in Vista with the search-centric direction and it has only degraded since then. W7 and Vista are mostly stable now but they’re not immune to search failure.

• DPete27

What about mouse pointer not showing after wake from sleep? Have they fixed that yet?

• gerryg

I was hoping to upgrade some systems to Win10 after the Anniv. update and before the free upgrade period expires, to save the hassle of install then have a major update a few weeks later. Hoping the update will arrive sooner than later…

• BurntMyBacon

So you’re hoping that the Anniversary Edition update does not in fact drop on its anniversary.

• gerryg

Yeah, I know the definition of “anniversary” but it’s lame that MS chose to end the free period when it did – if they did it a week or two after the update, I think a lot more people who hadn’t upgraded yet would finally choose to upgrade, especially after seeing some reviews or experience notes and getting a high confidence that it’s actually an improvement over current version and stable enough. I personally have been burned in the past by bad updates/upgrades and like to wait a bit, I don’t have time to be updating/patching/upgrading/rebuilding things like I used to.

• jensend

For some reason, when I said the same thing on a W10 article six weeks ago I was downthumbed. Don’t know why.

I don’t think we’re the only ones who were hoping to wait till launch bugs were shaken out and the first major update landed. Ever since rumors started talking about Redstone I thought “I’ll just wait until then and do fresh installs rather than dealing with upgrade hassles.”

Ever since they started calling it the “Anniversary Update” it’s looked unlikely that it’d be possible. Too bad.

• sweatshopking

Because you’re saying something which is impossible, as burnt my bacon mentioned.

• TwoEars

I’ve upgraded both my personal laptop and desktop to Win10 now.

Some tips:

* During the installation select customize and turn off all the BS that communicates with Redmond HQ.
    * I still prefer Windows Classic Shell for the start menu. Used the same thing for Win8.1
    * If it gets stuck during the upgrade look here and do the method suggested by 3enjamin: [url<]http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-upgrade-stuck-at-preparing-for-the/7281a07b-cc92-4660-a0be-1dc62069330f[/url<] Other that... pretty smooth upgrade. Very similar to Win8.1. Had to reinstall some drivers with Win10 specific versions. Like the creative soundcard ones.

• sweatshopking

People need to stop using creative.

• LostCat

If it works for them and they want it, that’s pretty much all that matters.

• Airmantharp

My card refuses to die, and it still sounds better than onboard. Why would I stop using what works?

• sweatshopking

Because they have terrible driver support. Im not saying don’t use old cards you’ve already purchased, though my post suggests it, rather don’t buy new ones.

• DoomGuy64

Obviously if you upgrade an old OS with old drivers, you’ll have to update drivers to match the OS. Same with video cards.

• Deanjo

Honestly, there isn’t really an audio vendor out there anymore that has great windows support. They pretty much all suck at keeping their drivers current and addressing bugs nowdays.

• chµck

My creative 5.1 surround usb works very well, thank you very much.

• Umbral

I suspect Creative has given up on the AIB market, all they’re doing is milking the last drops from their existing tech. This would be fine if they supported what they were selling (their OpenAL drivers have been broken for years). It’s not just software either, Soundblaster Z’s have a horrible problems waking up from sleep mode, they don’t wake-up or wake up screaming. If onboard sound cards lived up to claims made by their makers this would be a nonissue, but they don’t. And no, Asus’ cards aren’t any better.

• Vaughn

Good thing I held onto my X-fi I have no sleep issues on win 10 and its been great so far.

• DoomGuy64

X-fi master race! Pci-e user here.