Asus focuses on value with its Turbo GTX 1080

We've seen announcements for a fair few fancy GeForce GTX 1080s cross the TR news desk over the last couple of weeks. Some folks just want the GPU, though, and don't care for all the niceties of a high-end graphics card. Asus looks to be servicing those customers with the Turbo GeForce GTX 1080. It has the same 1733MHz boost clock, 1607MHz base clock, and 8GB of 10GT/s GDDR5X memory as the reference board, but ditches the pricey aluminum shroud for a more basic plastic look.

Like the rest of the non-reference Pascal cards from Asus, the Turbo GeForce GTX 1080 does feature "VR-friendly HDMI ports." That's the Asus way of saying that it dropped one of the reference card's three DisplayPorts for an extra HDMI out, in case you want to use an HDMI monitor along with your VR headset. We don't have a price on the Turbo GTX 1080, but if the Turbo GeForce GTX 970 is anything to go by, it should be pretty reasonably priced next to its Pascal-powered brethren.

• NTMBK

[quote<]value[/quote<] [quote<]1080[/quote<] BWAHAHAHAHA

• chuckula

Can you name a superior product in this price segment?
      Because a price/performance chart of this card vs. a $650 Fury-X isn’t going to be very kind to the Fury X.

• NTMBK

Fury X is also hilariously bad value. Doesn’t make the 1080 good value.

Unfortunately Asus has previously been found guilty (along with Zotac and Palit) of really cheaping-out on these blower coolers.

Compare [url=http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2015/07/22092745150l.jpg<]this Asus 970 [/url<] with a nasty alloy extrusion to [url=http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/2014-09-23-12-56-05-jpg.59355<]this design[/url<] used by Gainward, MSI and Gigabyte that features a more expensive heatpipe solution with soldered and nickel-plated copper fins. As expected, the Asus/Zotac/Palit blower design received negative comments by reviews regarding their noise and cooling performance. Perhaps Asus have changed their tune? I doubt it, because my cynicism has arisen through decades of depressing experience.

• Bensam123

Considering the FE pricing is essentially MSRP now (probably by design), I don’t know where the value tier is anymore…

BTW if you followed the pricing of the 970s, the blower coolers all ended up selling for less then the normal internal spinners due to no one purchasing them. Asus made a blower model before and touted it ‘for sli’, which it would work well for… but people still bought the other models anyway.

Guess this is their rebranded sli model.

• bhtooefr

It’s worth noting that for the 970, literally every blower except for MSI and Nvidia’s own were the reference 670/760/960 cooler. MSI used a variant of the reference 980 cooler (but didn’t adequately vent the backplate, as I understand), and Nvidia used the reference 980 cooler itself (but that card was absurdly expensive).

• thebluebumblebee

Two things:
    First, does this use the same cooler as the FE with just a different shroud for up to $100 less?
    Secondly, “Turbo” was used in the previous generation for a blower type cooler that pulled air from both sides of the card. This one does not appear to do that. That’s disappointing.

• anotherengineer

As nice as the gtx 1080 is, I think AMD has a good chance to do well in Cnd, Aus, and other nations where the greenback is valued +30% and more over their currency.

Cheapest non-ref 1080 newegg.ca is $870+$12 shipping + 13% tax = $996.66
    [url<]http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487244[/url<] If the RX480 is $200 US that would work out to about $260 + tax cnd or about $294, about $300 after shipping. The cheapest 1070 at newegg.ca is $570+shipping+tax so about $657 [url<]http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007708%20601202919%20601203927[/url<]

• footman

Perfect for people who want to replace stock HSF with waterblock.

• slowriot

I would hope people buying a GTX 1080 with the intention of watercooling and overclocking are waiting for the ones with beefier power delivery.

• Anovoca

I like the subtle styling. I can’t wait to see how it performs in noise and power draw benchmarks.

• sweatshopking

Yawn
    Looking forward to third and fourth generation chips still using this node. That’s when we will really see what it can do!

• Wonders

[s<]Wake me when the third and fourth gen chips come out.[/s<] Use the "knock knock" feature in SteamVR to alert me when it's time to put my newest card on eBay for a couple hundred bucks and trade up again.

• tootercomputer

How well does this cool? In the past, I had to remove stock cooling solutions because they sucked, ran hot, and I added after-market cooling solutions. I did that for al old 8800 GTS, an 8800 GT, and at least one more. My last few card purchases had stock dual-fans and decent head sinks + pipes, and cooling was adequate. Looking at this card, I am concerned about its cooling properties with only one fan.

• Deanjo

Flipside to that is that I have been more often disappointed by custom cooling solutions than I have with reference cooling solutions (and they seem to last a lot longer).

• tootercomputer

Maybe the more recent reference cooling is better. I would never buy a 3-fan solution as it just ups the odds of a fan going out (though, so does having two fans). My last three cards, 5870, 560Ti, and a 7870, all had two fans and cooled very well even when OCed (which I do modestly).

I’m saving my pennies for a 1070 and want one with good air cooling.

• Deanjo

I’ve had good luck with reference coolers going back to the 4600Ti (GT 6600s/7600’s/8800GTs/GTX 275s/GTX-580/Titans/a bunch of lower end nvidias).

• Voldenuit

Every custom cooler I’ve had has been better (and quieter) than stock. I’m not a fan of blowers, anyway.

As for the ASUS, losing a DP for another HDMI is not what I’d call a “positive” tradeoff these days. I’d rather have 4 DP (3 monitors, 1 VR) than 2 DP and 2 HDMI.

• ozzuneoj

My evga GTX 660 and PNY GTX 970 both have similar “reference” style coolers and they are great. They aren’t going to remove as much heat from the GPU as after market designs, but they will certainly last longer. My MSI 560 Ti TwinFrozer II had failing fans within two years, where as every blower style cooler I’d ever had before that (GTX 470, 260, 8800GTX) all stayed the same as long as I had them.

I think as long as you aren’t trying to cool a 200+ watt TDP GPU, a blower is fine. Especially the newer designs.

The added bonus is that it totally removes the heat from your tower, so the GPU will have significantly less of an effect on the rest of your system.

• chuckula

Actually, if you want understated aesthetics this card looks quite nice.
    I’d definitely put it a step above the FE cards.

• RAGEPRO

I actually agree, although I worry it’ll be noisy. That said, that’s why I have earbuds.

• Wonders

Alas, save us from earbuds and worries of noise by waging fierce dB meter combat against the clamoring hosts of board partners!

• ImSpartacus

Yeah, headphones are wonderful because they let you not really care about case noise.

Things are so much simpler when you simply don’t have to care about noise during load.

• BoilerGamer

Get yourself a AIO GPU kit like the EVGA Hybrid and a hex screwdriver, that will keep the card quiet and core temp around 50C

• USAFTW

Yeah. It reminded me of the reference GTX 580 and 680 cards of many years ago.

• USAFTW

I don’t care if it looks like dog s**t. As long as it’s quiet and it gets the job done as well or close to the reference cooler and saves me $100, I won’t care about looks once I stick it in a case. My eyes will be on the monitor.

• cygnus1

+11

• anotherengineer

Is it ok if it smells like dog do-do though?? 😉

• USAFTW

If it means I get less noise, I’m fine with covering my nose. Better than covering my ear, I suppose.

• anotherengineer

🙂

True, noise sucks, I have 2 loud children, and I think my hearing is starting to suffer. They still don’t know what “inside voice” means :{

• smilingcrow

Have you thought of getting “Intel Inside” tattooed on their foreheads?

• Redocbew

Perhaps the first good reason not to have good airflow.

• slowriot

Depends on your expectations for noise. I fully suspect this is the loudest GTX 1080 Asus will offer but that still may be within your acceptable range.

Personally I don’t see much point in going this route unless your case lacks its own exhaust fan(s). Otherwise you’re likely better off with one of the custom solutions Asus offers not based on the reference design.