Samsung’s new convertible laptop charges in 90 minutes

Samsung is sprucing up its Windows laptop offerings with the new Notebook 7 Spin family. This Windows 10 device comes in 13.3- or 15.6-inch flavors, and it's a flexible-hinge-type convertible with a 1080p touchscreen, a 1TB hard drive, and optional discrete graphics.

That's all well and good, but this laptop's ability to charge to full in 90 minutes is its key feature. Samsung also says the Notebook 7 Spin can grab two hours of battery life with 20 minutes of charging. That rapid-charge ability might make this device more attractive to people who absolutely need a laptop for maximum mobility.

The somewhat pedestrian 13.3-inch model is equipped with a Core i5-6200U CPU and uses that processor's HD 520 graphics. Samsung did at least outfit the machine with 8GB of dual-channel DDR4, so performance from the little Skylake should be acceptable.

On the other hand, the 15.6-inch model comes in two variations. Both wield a Core i7-6500U processor and a GeForce 940MX discrete GPU with 2GB of DDR3 RAM. The cheaper of the two has 12GB of memory, while the more expensive model has 16GB and a 128GB SSD. The elephant in the room with these laptops is that only the top-end model includes any solid-state storage.

Samsung says all three models feature "expandable storage options," so we suppose users can install their own SSDs. Other features common to the Notebook 7 Spin family include an automatic backlit keyboard, HDMI out, and a USB Type-C port. That multifunction port supports transfer rates up to 5Gbps, and the cryptic "Charging" note on Samsung's specifications probably indicates rapid charging support for compatible mobile devices.

The Notebook 7 Spin will be released on June 26th. Samsung will be offering the new convertible through its own website, Best Buy stores, and BestBuy.com. The 13.3" model will be $799.99, while the 15.6" models are priced at $999.99 or $1199.99 for the SSD-equipped model.

• demani

It just seems to me that with the price of SSDs (especially low end ones) that for something that is getting moved and manhandled and potentially dropped more often than a standard laptop that the spinning platter shouldn’t be an option. I’d take a 120GB SSD over a 1TB HD in this type of machine any day of the week.

• cheesyking

If they put ssds in the low to mid range machines they wouldn’t have a way to force you to buy the high end stuff.

I’m going to connect this Gigabyte P35 to a charger now, it’s on 18% battery
    I’m leaving the office in 48 minutes, so I’ll update this post then!

Update 1: It has been 15 minutes and the laptop has gained 23% more battery.
    Update 2: At 84% from 18%, so 66% in 50 minutes, which implies 100% in 75 minutes.

Is this Samsung so terrible that the best thing they have to say about it is “Hey, at least it charges at the expected speed”?

• willmore

Charging isn’t linear for that last 20-15%. Also, that only affects run time by 20-15%. 😉

Maybe they’re playing the old Apple trick of calling 85% “100%” so that they can get to ‘100%’ faster. Run time tests were done with a truely 100% charged battery… Hmmm, why am I not getting the runtime they specify?

• xeridea

Isn’t 90 minutes about the standard charge time for laptops, phones, etc? All my devices charge in less time than that, and I have nothing special. I think more important for laptops is runtime, I have never heard anyone complain about charge time.

• sweatshopking

SOOOO UGLY. Classic samsung. Stylish Hardware designers they are not.

• anotherengineer

Kinda looks like a mac…………………uh oh………….I smell patent litigation………

• dashbarron

Uh…what?

I’ve had a few older laptops and a Surface. I would expect them all to be fully charged or damn close after 1.5 hours. Is this a thing where it takes hours to charge your portables?

• nico1982

Both Surface Pro takes over 2 h 30 m to fully charge, the Surface 3 takes 5 h 30 m, the iPad Air 2 nearly 4 hours (http://www.anandtech.com/show/9727/the-microsoft-surface-pro-4-review-raising-the-bar/7 it is the first result I found on google) 🙂

I’m unsure if old batteries with depleted capacities charge faster or if charging time is affected by ageing.

• dashbarron

I’m really quite sure that I can charge my Surface 2 Pro from dead to full in 90 minutes, or darn close. It’s dead right now, so I could charge it this weekend and time it.

• tipoo

For 15″My rMBP 15″ takes about two and a half hours, I don’t even know how long my work M4800 takes. But yeah, for the 13″ that doesn’t seem spectacular or anything.

• ronch

My Lenovo G450 laptop from 2012 charges from 15% to full in about 2 hours (or less). I don’t see why 90 minutes is exceptional.

• tipoo

And it’s running at what percentage of its original battery capacity?

• chuckula