Color TV Day Shortbread

Eight is Enough

1. WCCFtech: AMD RX 480 hits U.S. stores,

supply 25x larger than GTX 1080 at launch

2. VIdeoCardz: PowerColor teases new Devil graphics card, RX 480?
  3. VR-Zone: Dell UP3017 “UltraSharp Premium’

2560×1600 monitor set to launch soon

4. techPowerUp!: MSI readies the B150M Mortar

Arctic and B150M Bazooka Plus motherboards

and Corsair lights up DDR4 with new

Vengeance LED performance memory

5. VR-Zone: Snapdragon 823-powered LeEco

smartphone gets caught on AnTuTu

6. Thurrott.com on Windows 10 device

stats: a look at phone, PC and Surface

7. GameInformer: UK ‘Brexit‘ vote likely

to severely impact gaming industry

8. Counter-Strike player files suit against Valve

over ‘illegal gambling’ surrounding CSGO

Color TV Day

1. Ars Technica: Surface 3 stocks dwindling

as Microsoft plans system’s demise

2. InfoWorld: Microsoft releases KB 3161647, KB

3161608 to fix slow Windows 7 update scans

3. Mac Rumors: Netflix offline viewing now

expected to launch ‘by the end of the year’

4. Phoronix: 7-way Linux distribution comparison for summer 2016

Hardware

1. HotHardware’s Alienware 13 OLED laptop review
  2. Phoronix on Intel Skylake graphics: Windows 10

vs. Ubuntu 16.04 + latest open-source driver code

3. LanOC Reviews on MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
  4. TweakTown reviews Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB mouse
  5. KitGuru’s Cherry MX-Board 3.0 keyboard review
  6. APH Networks on SteelSeries Apex M500 keyboard
  7. Technology X reviews Phanteks Enthoo Evolv tempered glass class
    • torquer

If I never hear or see the “word” brexit again it will still be too soon.

• NeelyCam

How about “regrexit”?

• Pwnstar

Even worse.

• Wonders

Weekend Shortbread is awesome.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]VIdeoCardz: PowerColor teases new Devil graphics card, RX 480?[/quote<] Soo.... the star of david = "a new devil is born"...?

• chuckula

Yeah anti-semitic imagery being used to sell crap.

This official AMD video is also interesting in a very bad way: [url<]https://twitter.com/AMDRadeon/status/746411638840926208[/url<] Jump ahead to 23 seconds. That pole that's "hiding" the Radeon logo? Somebody I know who understands Cyrllic told me that's from Donetsk, Ukraine, which has been in the middle of the active fighting due to Russia trying to take over more territory. It's the same place where thousands of civilians have died and the Malaysian Airliner was shot down by the Russians. And AMD doesn't have a problem doctoring it up and using it for their marketing nonsense.

• NeelyCam

The video even started with “We have accepted the unacceptable.” Lol

• ronch

Taiwanese marketing is cheesier than Planters™ Cheese Balls.

• DreadCthulhu

Powercolor is a Taiwanese company, so I bet their design artist was told to draw some western devil design, and simply didn’t know you are supposed to use a 5 point star in a circle for devil stuff, and 6 pointed one for Jew magic. You see similar stuff in anime all the time (Japan, not Taiwan, but similar lack of cultural exposure to Jewish people).

• ronch

Nah. This is probably black propaganda to make more folks antisemitic. :-p

• ronch

I joined the giveaway. The branding doesn’t make me very comfortable given my religious disposition but I’ll just try not to play games late at night.

• Shouefref

Britain has successfully succeeded in blowing itself up. Scotland organizing referendum for independence.
    That means that Britain can at least do SOMETHING together, like breaking apart.

• Pwnstar

Why should people who don’t want to stay together be forced to stay together? How fascist are you?

• shank15217

Your logic sounds similar to the excuses used by the segregation movement in the 1890s in the US and the aparthide system in south africa, both as you would most certainly agree are examples of mass social injustice.

• albundy

It was a democratic vote and the people have spoken. It might seem like a clusterf. on the global economy right now, but I believe that they will be much better off in the long run.

• ggaky00

So, does this mean that you’re in favor of this Germanocracy that’s called “European Union”?..

• willmore

[quote<]Technology X reviews Phanteks Enthoo Evolv tempered glass class [/quote<] Link goes to this page and the summary doesn't make sense. Was it supposed to be 'case'?

• Shouefref

The Brits are out! Good riddens! Now they can stop telling us how to use English, ’cause they can’t!

• PrincipalSkinner

The referendum is non-binding. Which means, parliament is not obliged to vote for brexit.

• UberGerbil

Yes, but the rest of us can still demand you spell “riddance” correctly.

• EndlessWaves

But being out of the EU means we take back control, and if we’re in control we can tell everyone else what to do.

Right?

• nanoflower

Sure.. You can tell everyone whatever you want. While they all go on their merry way. 🙂

• Goty

*riddance.

• blastdoor

[quote<]GameInformer: UK 'Brexit' vote likely to severely impact gaming industry[/quote<] It looks like there are going to be a lot of consequences from this vote that were completely unforeseen and unintended by the voters. Seems to me that if there were ever a time for the queen to do something other than serve as an ornament, this is it. She needs to speak up and encourage her peasants to reconsider their decision to shoot themselves in the face

• UberGerbil

I was puzzled by that headline, until I read the story and discovered the publication was based in the UK and the implicit context was “…likely to severely impact the [b<]UK's[/b<] gaming industry." Looking at it from outside the British Isles, it's not really going to have much of any effect on the gaming industry as a world-wide whole. The european market got slightly smaller, and there's going to be (eventually) a new market with what will be its own set of regulations and market conditions, but there are already hundreds of those for gaming companies to navigate. As for the Queen, for all we know she's pro-Brexit. She's certainly in the age demographic where you'd expect it. And the long process dating back to the Magna Carta ensures it doesn't really matter what she thinks: the monarch's [i<]job[/i<] is to be an ornament. You either respect the will of the people, however ill-informed and wrong-headed, or you don't -- and that way lies authoritarianism at best. Frankly, the better bet for a "do-over" would be for the Prime Minister to give it a couple of weeks for the panic and consequences to set it, and then call an election on the issue. The problem with that (aside from being a dead duck leader himself) is that he's already failed once at reading the public mood; and, because the popular parties aren't aligned with the issue, the results of such an election would not provide a clear mandate anyway.

• blastdoor

[quote<]As for the Queen, for all we know she's pro-Brexit. She's certainly in the age demographic where you'd expect it.[/quote<] Could be, but I doubt it. She doesn't want Scotland to leave the UK, and she knows full well the odds of that just went up. Speaking her mind is not authoritarianism. She has no power to make anyone do anything, and I'm not suggesting otherwise. I'm simply suggesting she make a speech about something substantive. Cameron is kind of a dunce. No shocker that he was unable to persuade anyone of anything. But the queen is the perfect person to persuade the people of her generation (and her children's generation). If she doesn't say anything she will have missed her opportunity to make a real, substantive difference.

• EndlessWaves

[quote<]It looks like there are going to be a lot of consequences from this vote that were completely unforeseen and unintended by the voters. [/quote<] Not really. It was clear beforehand that there'd be a big economic hit. The leave campaign tried to talk up the long term potentials (unrestricted trading with the developing world etc.) but their financial claims weren't at all convincing after their repeated use of the laughable £350 Million figure Most of the leave votes seem to have voted that way despite the economic hit it will cause rather than without knowledge of it.

• bill94el

Yep, and the gaming industry is far and away their least biggest concern.

• ronch

That’s just mean.

• USAFTW

Yeah! **** democracy!

• smilingcrow

The Queen is too busy in the basement at Balmoral killing zombies in Dying Light to have even noticed the way the country has voted.
      Her job is so tedious that she copes with that by chillin’ in da castle playing games and smokin’ chronic. She’s kool yo.

• Klimax

I don’t think she can step in per-se, but she could give support to PM to ignore referendum. (It’s not legally binding)

• smilingcrow

The queen is too wily me thinks to get involved with this issue.
      She’s very good at keeping her head down.
      If she came out now supporting staying in the EU and the UK ended up not leaving she’d be even more reviled in certain quarters.
      She has nothing to gain getting involved and a lot to lose.

• blastdoor

Hmm… I guess you’re probably right… preserving the monarchy does appear to be her #1 goal, and saying anything controversial in public goes against that. Better to be reduced from being queen of the UK to queen of just England — that’s better than queen of nothing at all.

I guess the peasants will just have to figure this out on their own.

• Wirko

Never The Same Color.

• bthylafh

On the other hand, PAL is 50 Hz. Flicker city.

• Klimax

What flicker city? (60 versus 50 doesn’t seeem to be big enough difference…)

• bthylafh

How long’s it been since you used a CRT monitor?

• Voldenuit

I’d rather deal with with PAL’s 4% speedup than 3:2 pulldown again.

Fortunately, we are living in the future now.

• anotherengineer

120 Hz screen 5:1 pulldown baby!!!

• ronch

I saw that article over at WCCF already, the 25X article. I have to admit AMD planned their strategy well this time around. I just hope they won’t be rebranding too much for the next 4 years though.

• mesyn191

GCN 1.4 will likely be around for at least 2 yr on the low end but 4yr is a real possibility depending on how the foundry industry handles the transition to 10nm + whatever new design AMD does in 2018-19.

Probably won’t only be rebrands. I expect they’ll do refresh versions with better clocks, more memory, maybe a UVD block update, and faster memory but the GPU architecture will remain the same.

So far things on 10nm aren’t looking all that great from any foundry but its too soon to say for certain. I don’t think anyone has a clue what a AMD clean sheet GPU is going to look like for 2018-19.

• blahsaysblah

Says all reference blower designs at launch. Really pushing SLI?

• PrincipalSkinner

SLI?

• ronch

Probably not. SLI is 3dfx’s.

• Srsly_Bro

Did the cuda cores in the screenshot of the rx480 make you think it does sli too?

• anotherengineer

Ya

I keep reading about the RX 470 launching and being available at the same time as the RX 480.

BUT

I haven’t really seen any sites post teaser pics or anything, and shader counts are still speculation. If the cnd $ was par, I don’t know if I would consider going lower than an RX480, but the $ being 30% lower and an additional 13% tax on top of that, the RX470 4GB is the top of my budget……………..sigh home renos…………anyone want to help me shingle a roof???

• DrCR

With video cards?
        [quote<]anyone want to help me shingle a roof???[/quote<]

• Klimax

I would first wait for reviews and later financial results. Midrange rarely gets you far without higher margins parts.

• ronch

I still remember the days when I had a CGA monitor and I used to visit a friend at his house who had a monochrome VGA monitor and I thought it was pretty awesome. Then shortly after my mom got me a nice 14″ Sonica VGA monitor with a new PC which had an Am386DX-40 and Trident 8900C graphics.

Good days. Jumping from CGA to VGA was phenomenal.

• f0d

[quote<]InfoWorld: Microsoft releases KB 3161647, KB 3161608 to fix slow Windows 7 update scans [/quote<] YAY this problem has been such a pain in the ass for me - got another windows7 install i have to do tomorrow hopefully it all goes well

• blahsaysblah

[url=https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/<]Simplifying updates for Windows 7 and 8.1[/url<] Note 2 steps, update the update stack, than the big roll up.

• Ninjitsu

I tried the convenience rollup on a low end laptop (2GB ram, Haswell Pentium) and it just took an amazing amount of time. I cancelled it and just let windows update do its thing, which took all night just to check for updates. :/

• blahsaysblah

Well i upgraded to Win 8 and 10 as soon as they were available. You know they have much lighter footprint than Win 7, if you dont have any driver issues.

• Ninjitsu

One laptop of mine does run Win 10 now. It needs quite a bit of oversight and is almost always downloading updates whenever I turn it on, so I’m going to spend a few months with it before making a decision on other computers.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, there’s a couple of threads in the forum on this issue. Hopefully this is the end of it.

• Ninjitsu

I installed it today, seems to have gone quite well.

For the last few months I’ve also had the problem of svchosts.exe being stuck at 25% CPU util and some 250 MB of RAM for long periods of time, I think related to Windows Update. Hopefully will stop now.

• Aegaeon

Windows 7 updates on my old desktop started taking multiple hours this year, so I found an alternative for downloading updates to a USB drive you can use offline:

[url<]http://wsusoffline.net/[/url<] Also useful for running security updates before connecting a new Windows installation to the Internet.

• Rza79

Yeah, this has been my rescue too.

I think MS deliberately tried to break Win7.

• Jigar

I remember when i was 5 year old i was scolded by my parents for breaking the TV channel nob, we had black & white TV back in 1980’s in India. – memories.

• ronch

I see we’re both reminiscing our younger years, Jiggy.

See? We’re not so different, you and I. 🙂

• mesyn191

We had 2 TV’s when I was young but even in the US it was unusual at the time.

Our “main” TV was a color 24 incher and our 2nd was our old small black and white 9 incher with rabbit ears that we would watch while eating dinner. We were happy with that set up for a long time.

• sunner

Jigar 1
      I know this Greeting is tardy–but, ‘welcome to the USA’ !
      May all your troubles be ‘little ones’ 🙂

• USAFTW

You were lucky. I still kinda remember when I was a small baby in early 1990s we had a 14in black/white. Only a few years later I remember coming back from school on snowy winter’s day and I saw the box for a 21inch Grundig on a pickup at our door. That was a great day.

• pranav0091

We didnt get a TV until I was in class 5 because we couldnt afford it. That day my little sister was so excited that she ran with a tin-sheet chair over her head to the porch where the TV had been switched on for the first time – tripped over something and had the chair hit her in the face and eventually needed a few stitches on her lips/gums 😐

Then when I went to college I inadvertently ended up watching little to no TV. Now thats become a habit. Cant figure out what to watch on TV now that I have been away from it for so long. When I watched TV it was generally these few channels – Cartoon Network, National Geographic, Discovery, Animal Planet, Star Sports/ESPN. Never liked the sexed-up music videos, or for that matter even understood why music needed videos. Now that we are doing much better, we did buy a 50-incher just a couple of months ago, for mum, to watch her evening soaps.

Internet lets me now choose what I want to read and watch and at times of my choice – convenience – yay. I generally browse tech sites, some 10 of them and then look up a few rumour sites to boot.

TBH, my life has been much better without TV and I’m not going back. The only other such decision that improved my life has been cutting down heavily on facebook. 🙂

Ah yes, this is also from India.

• ronch

We’re pretty much on the same boat.

I keep seeing those nice LED TVs and how far they’ve gone down in price but I honestly don’t see any reason to buy one because I don’t watch TV anymore. I’m still stuck with a 2005 LG 29″ CRT TV which I hardly even plug in. Used to watch the channels you mentioned (except ESPN) but now I get all my screen time from the Internet.

• UberGerbil

When I was four years old I watched the Apollo 11 moon landings live on a grainy B&W TV that was in a wooden cabinet that was taller than I was (even though the TV screen itself was relatively tiny). There were a bunch of TV programs like Star Trek and Hogan’s Heroes and Laugh-in and Sesame Street that for a long time I thought had been produced in B&W because that’s the only way I’d ever seen them.

I don’t remember when we first got a color TV, but I know the one we bought in the late 70s had a feature where you could plug the phone into the TV and answer an incoming call using the remote. But you couldn’t make outgoing calls, and the microphone (which was in the TV on the other side of the room) was terrible so it was nothing more than a gimmick. However the remote was RF, not infrared, so it amused me to change channels from the next room while whoever was trying to watch something was frantically digging under cushions looking for the “misbehaving” remote.

• bill94el

When I was 4 in the late 60’s we walked to school uphill in snow both ways…j/k

but, we did only have 4 channels to choose from. ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS. Sometimes less is better. It wasn’t as hard to make a decision about what to watch and if you were hooked on something you better be in front of the TV when it aired. There may never be a replay unless it was syndicated for afternoons years later like The Wild, Wild West (woot). Saturday mornings were practically the only kids programming times.

Then as I got older Al Bundy emerged and the Fox Network was born and we could play Missile Command at home on the TV! Good times. Then we got 13 channels of cable TV advertisement free for the most part. Australian League Football was king.

Some timelines are better than others. I’m still undecided for TV programming considering what is aired now for the most part.