Windows 10 Anniversary Update rolls out August 2

The biggest question mark surrounding the Windows 10 Anniversary Update has been its release date—until now. Microsoft confirmed this morning that the update will hit Windows 10 PCs, tablets, phones, and Xbox Ones on August 2. That date is just a few days after the actual anniversary of Windows 10's release, July 29 of last year.

In case you haven't been following the news, the Anniversary Update is bringing a whole slew of improvements to Microsoft's finest. Check out our previous coverage for details, but the short list includes extension support for Edge, huge revamps for Windows Ink and Windows Hello, and refinements to the Windows Store and Cortana. Myriad smaller improvements are coming too, like a dark theme for system dialogs and the ability to put clocks on every taskbar.

The Anniversary Update will also include the Windows Subsystem for Linux. This mind-bending feature allows Linux applications to run natively inside Windows, not unlike the "Windows on Windows" system that enables 32-bit applications to run seamlessly alongside 64-bit applications. So far the killer app for the new subsystem has been the bash shell, which should make Windows automation easier for sysadmins coming from GNU/Linux.

Xbox One owners will be able to say hello to Cortana after the update, but the real exciting news on that platform is the addition of the Windows Store. Not only will this move drastically increase the utility of Microsoft's game console, but it will also enable cross-play on supported titles. Microsoft didn't confirm that the mouse-and-keyboard support promised at E3 would be coming with this update, but it should be on the way soon.

• Ninjitsu

[quote<] but the real exciting news on that platform is the addition of the Windows Store[/quote<] Without context, I would never have expected to read "real exciting", "addition" and "Windows Store" in the same sentence. Unless of course the words were "REAL EXCITING", "ADDITION" and "WINDOWS STORE". 😉

• kvndoom

I’m gonna bite the bullet and put 10 on my main computer that I just built. Playing with it on another rig didn’t leave me feeling disgusted like 8 did, so that’s at least progress. With Classic Shell the interface is tolerable (just not much to look at). I’m sure I will spend lots of time looking for hacks and programs to improve the UI.

• StuffMaster

WindowBlinds can fix up the UI a bit. I too hated the UI. Still not half as good as 7, but at least the titlebars and borders don’t look like they’re from 1989.

• odizzido

I don’t care about the store, cortana, ink, hello, or edge too much(though I do a little, since there are no great browsers)…..but the linux support sounds interesting. I didn’t find the post to be very clear….is it just bash that is supported or am I going to be able to run any linux program?

• cygnus1

Almost yes. Basically anything that can run in a shell on Ubuntu should run on the Windows Linux subsystem. They basically built the inverse of WINE. You pretty much get to run any elf64 Linux user mode binary on Windows.

[url<]https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/about[/url<]

• Stochastic

Personally, I’m most excited by the improvements to Edge. In addition to adding extension support, Microsoft claims to be improving power efficiency further with the anniversary update: [url<]https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2016/06/20/edge-battery-anniversary-update/[/url<] While I've been on the Chrome train since 2009, I can't deny that Google's browser chews through batteries if you're a power user and/or heavy video watcher. While I'm not a fan of the Edge UI, it would be nice to have a more power-efficient alternative to Chrome when I'm using my laptop and am not plugged in. Plus, it's just great to see that Windows' default browser is no longer terrible. EDIT: Apparently there are also some memory optimizations incoming: [url<]https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2016/06/22/javascript-performance-updates-anniversary-update/[/url<] It's kind of amazing what a difference an organizational shift can make. Who would have predicted that IE would one day morph into a decent browser?

• Kurotetsu

Have they fixed the issue where Edge cannot access localhost? That’s a big issue with me as a developer.

• Neutronbeam

Have you checked out Vivaldi, the Chrome fork? It’s pretty interesting; I’m using it a lot lately.

• Stochastic

Yup, I’ve tried out Vivaldi. It seems like a mashup of Chrome and Presto-era Opera (which is a good thing in my book). I would be interested in the Tech Report doing an in-depth battery life comparison of Chrome, Edge, Opera, Vivaldi, and Firefox. It would also be interesting to quantify how much of a difference extensions like uBlock Origin and Ghostery make. I used to care about browser performance above all else, but these days power and data efficiency are just as important to me.

• Concupiscence

One helpful thing to remember is that video watching in Chrome (at least on YouTube) likes to default to the VP9 codec. It’s a nice codec and it saves considerably on bandwidth, but most modern GPUs (and IGPs) don’t have hardware playback support. As a result, outside of the hardware overlay the CPU has to do all the heavy lifting on decode with predictable effects on CPU load and battery life. There’s at least one extension available that fixes the issue by forcing h.264, so be aware!

• Stochastic

Yeah, I was aware of this. Will Kaby Lake CPUs offer full VP9 hardware decoding?

EDIT: Wikipedia suggests that they will: [url<]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaby_Lake[/url<]

• moog

Interesting. (Edge is faster on Google’s and Apple’s own benchmarks)

• sweatshopking

Edge is fast. That’s never been its problem.

• ThatStupidCat

So I can run windows operations using a Bash script? Sorry if I have wrong terminology. I mean can I make windows do “stuff” just using Bash?

I do wish they launched this BEFORE July 29 Windows 10 update deadline so I can decide if I want to upgrade the other computers. Gonna be a pain to upgrade the other computers then have to downgrade if I don’t like it.

• [+Duracell-]

No, Windows and the Linux subsystem can’t talk to each other.

• Voldenuit

Does the bash shell have write and admin access everywhere? How powerful is sudo on windows’ bash?

• [+Duracell-]

You have access to the Windows file system, but everything executed in bash is executed in Ubuntu, not windows, if that helps.

You can’t directly interact with Windows other than through the file system.

• sweatshopking

So far….

• cygnus1

You can join the insider program and test the anniversary edition build right now, with the Linux subsystem, for free

• Neutronbeam

“$199 for the Pro version”…yes, but not for the Pro OEM version, which is a bit cheaper.

“That’s right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?”

[Been trying for years to work in an Army of Darkness quote.]

• w76

Their new half-hour spin-off show isn’t quite up to Army of Darkness’ level, but it isn’t bad. I take what Bruce Campbell I can get.

• Neutronbeam

Well, you can never have too much of The Chin. 🙂

• Voldenuit

Was still a great show, though. Pablo is great, and so is that other chick. And Ash was, well…. Ash.

That’s a big reason why I watched Burn Notice. He was great.

• EndlessWaves

Yeah, but:

a) The Licence agreement says the OEM is only for systems you’re going to sell for a third party:
      [url<]https://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/windows-licensing-for-personal-use.aspx#fbid=CmvadkuCx2o[/url<] b) It's not enough of a saving to be worth the loss of the ability to transfer it to other machines.

• EndlessWaves

Oh and

c) There’s a lot less of interest in the pro version for non-business users than previous pro editions. Bitlocker maybe.

• Leader952

[quote<]Fortunately, Microsoft confirmed that the Anniversary Update will free to all Windows 10 users. If you aren't using Windows 10 yet, now is the time to make the jump. Free upgrades from Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 end on July 29. After that, it'll be $119 for the Home version and $199 for the Pro version.[/quote<] I have been snatching up a number of T5500/T3500 Dell Workstations with Win7Pro COA's for under $100. They now are running Windows 10 Pro. When the free upgrade program ends and the Anniversary Update gets released I do the final update then resell on eBay for a tidy profit and use the proceeds to buy new toys.