Happy first of July, gerbils. It's Friday once more, and that means it's time to take a break from buying fireworks and take a look at some sweet tech deals.
- Asus' ROG Maximus VIII Ranger Z170 motherboard is on sale at Newegg for $159.99 right now. This is an enthusiast board with an impressive assortment of features. For starters, the board has three PCIe 16x slots with support for SLI. Advanced storage features include an M.2 slot and 2 SATA Express ports. Add to that Asus' excellent fan controls and a host of other high-end niceties, and you come out with a really decent board for the price.
- On the other end of the spectrum, Newegg is selling a pair of Crucial DDR4 2133 4GB DIMMs for $27.98. These DIMMs aren't flashy, and they aren't likely to win any speed awards. On the other hand, they are one of the cheapest 8GB DDR4 kits available, and Crucial is a well-respected brand in memory. If you just need some DDR4 without all of the flash, this should be a solid choice.
- If you're in need of a more muted motherboard choice, Gigabyte's G1 Gaming H170 motherboard is on sale for $84.99 at the 'Egg right now. We've recommended this board in our past System Guides for builders who aren't interested in overclocking. It offers dual M.2 slots and a premium Realtek ALC1150 audio codec, along with some features borrowed from Gigabyte's fancier Z170 boards like metal-reinforced PCIe slots. If that doesn't quite put you over the edge, Newegg sweetens the deal with a $10 mail-in rebate.
- Next up is Seagate's 8TB Backup Plus external hard drive, which Newegg has on sale for $199.99 after promo code EMCEKGM37. It's hard to argue against big storage for little money, and we've had some experience with this model and found it to be a solid buy.
- Last but oh-so-certainly not least, Acer's XR341CK 34" display is up for $879.99 on Newegg today with promo code EMCELEF47. This is a curved, ultrawide 3440x1440 display with Free-sync support for that sweet variable-refresh-rate goodness.
There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, Rakuten, Walmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at the Microsoft Store, the HP Store, and Das Keyboard's shop.
That's all for this week's deals, folks. We hope you have a safe and fun July 4—whether it's a holiday for you or not. If we missed a great deal somewhere, be sure to share it with other TR readers in the comments.