Microsoft’s final Windows 10 upgrade prompt goes full-screen

The free upgrade offer for Windows 10 ends July 29, and Microsoft wants to make sure that all users that haven't yet upgraded are aware they have a limited time to do so for zero dollars. To that end, Microsoft has er, upgraded the upgrade prompt to a violet-colored full-screen version, clad in the company's Metro Modern styling.

Unlike some previous versions, the new upgrade request has four clearly-defined options: "upgrade now," "remind me later," "notify me three more times," and "do not notify me again." Despite the prompt being a full-screen interruption, the changes in labeling are welcome, after the recent debacle where some users had their operating systems upgraded by mistake. Heck, the upgrade screen now says "sorry for the interruption," too.

Microsoft says the upgrade offer won't appear to anyone whose computer doesn't meet Windows 10's requirement, has the "Get Windows 10" app installed, or has previously ran the Windows 10 upgrade but then chose to roll it back. Should users choose the "remind me later" option, they will be prompted again in three days.

Despite the strong-arm tactics, Microsoft's release of Windows 10 seems to be success. The company reported back in January that the new operating system had 200 million active users, a number that has surely grown by now.

• Arbiter Odie

The constant harassment via endless pop-ups we’ve endured is the problem. My sister’s computer automatically installed Windows 10 without her say-so. Will they do that to my computer next? It adds a layer of concern: they might not take “no” for an answer.

This has been most irritating for anybody who does not want Windows 10.

• Goofus Maximus

I’m not the one who downthumb’d you, but really, “dongletastic!?” Do macs require some weird dongle or something?

I’m on Windows 10, having upgraded from Windows 8.1 from XP, and I’d still be on XP if they hadn’t killed it. So I don’t have much experience with Apple, beyond having to gimp my way through other’s ipods of various levels of ipod history, in order to play music at special events…

• BabyFaceLee

What annoys me more than anything is everyone bleating on and on about this notification. It’s a chuffin’ free upgrade – they’re not trying to make anyone buy it!!! Jeez, just click on Do not notify me again for heaven’s sake and get over it.

• BIF

I agree with you. I long for the 3D scroll bars. The current ones are way too low-contrast as to be nearly invisible. And to make up for that, Windows still lets applications with bad UI fonts continue on their blindly unreadable way, made worse by high resolution monitors.

• BIF

When I’m right, downthumbs only make me stronger.

And I’m right. Apple needs to raise its game. G’wan, tell me I’m wrong, and then tell me WHY. 🙂

• BIF

Of course they spy on you. Man up and have fun misleading them.

For example, Amazon thinks a bunch of 12-year-olds live in the bouncy house in the neighbors’ backyard, binge-watching animated movies and Spongebob episodes while eating nothing but Bomb-Pops, M&Ms, and jalapeno poppers all day. And then there’s the 120-count toilet paper rolls being 1-click purchased every Thursday evening and the all-weekend-long store searches for beading supplies, spelunking equipment, and shovels…lots of shovels.

Gotta be [i<]something[/i<] going on over there! It's all gonna come to a head the moment the neighbors place that order for a gross of plastic dropcloths, several dozen hatchets, an acre of brand-new carpeting, and 56 gallons of bleach in those convenient no-splash jugs! Don't worry, nobody will get hurt. They don't really have a bouncy house. Yet. 😀

• BIF

Won’t happen. Haven’t you heard? Macs are underpowered, dongletastic messes.

I want to use that term for ever and ever until Tim Cook himself calls me and asks me to stop. I’ll tell him, “only when you stop pussyfooting around and get Apple to stop talking about the space ship for 5 minutes so you can make a REAL MacOS laptop and desktop computer or allow somebody else to make one!”

And really, that’s all it would take, 5 minutes. Okay, 10. Just compare the best gaming computers and laptops out there and take your cues from them. And make internals UPGRADEABLE, dammit.

• BIF

Heh, so it’s a blue screen. Some things never change!

• Goofus Maximus

When a Window just isn’t annoying enough! Give the Windows 7 folks a taste of Windows 8 for their warning to upgrade to Windows 10, which they won’t see, since they are on their way to the Apple Store for a Mac…

• GTVic

Did you know that if you resize an application window or dialog on your monitor that Microsoft collects this information and uses it to make sure the window is in the same location and is the same size the next time you it?

• kamikaziechameleon

I like win 10 for the most part except that the overly flat ui is personally disorienting for me to look at. We spent decades adding visible depth to GUI, then completely removed it in one OS generation. And its not like we accomplished anything with the transition either. Scaling is still a stupid issue with the OS.

• Krogoth

Anything prior to Intel P965/955X chipset for is not supported on Windows 10. For the AMD-side. I believe it is anything prior to 690 or 740 chipset.

You are SOL with Nvidia chipset since they went EOL with Wolfdale and Barcelona chips launch.

• ColeLT1

You are correct, the install failed the video card check, even with a more modern video card…
    But upgrading with the DVD did work, strange.

• dashbarron

Did the install several months ago on my 2008 tech which was Vista, then 7.

Could never keep the damn machine stable. Always a problem with display drivers or multimedia hardware that causes BSOD’s constantly, half the time from running idle.

Eventually just rolled back to Windows 7 out of non-stop frustration. Not necessarily BSOD, but have similar restart-to-crash issues on a bunch of work PCs from 2014.

I’ve recommended people not upgrade if they can.

• lilbuddhaman

I don’t have taxes, resumes, banking information, and horrible dirty secrets on my phone.

• lilbuddhaman

Don’t forget when they announced the Xbone they were trying to push the “you can’t sell / lend used copies anymore”. Their heads so far up their asses they believed consumers would be ok with it.

“notify me three more times” how terrible MS’s marketing and management teams are.

• psuedonymous

There is, it’s called the settings page.

Most of the ‘super scary’ stuff Windows 10 is posited to do is a result of people running the Insider Preview builds and ignoring the warning you get when you sign up that it will have a lot more metrics collected and transmitted than the retail build (which is the entire POINT of the insider builds).

• DarkMikaru

Honestly, I wouldn’t think so. I bet you’ll have more of an issue with the OEM’s such as Acer, who I learned recently have keys that Microsoft won’t activate for whatever reason. I gave my mother my old Acer 5536 Laptop from 2009 and went to upgrade it with an SSD for her. Clean install of Windows 7 would not activate despite using the key. Had to pull out my spare copy for her.

But anything that’s already active should still work. Calling the OEM’s won’t help on older hardware.

• Redocbew

It’s like they said: What’s the one thing we could do with the upgrade prompt that’s intrusive, confusing, obnoxious, and hasn’t been done yet? After all, this isn’t a radio or a television which receives it’s programming from outside sources selected by the user. Users don’t actually have any control over the things which happen on their PC, right? So why not fill the screen with a big ass purple upgrade notice just because we can?

• CheetoPet

Any bets on whether the free upgrades continue past July? I suspect they are using the psychology behind ‘limited time free offer’ as a carrot to get people upgraded.

• moog

Wallpaper -> Bing Desktop (most don’t have ppl in em)

• albundy

so how long did it take you to learn korean?

• albundy

itunes on windows. there’s your problem.

• egon

The arrogance behind that purple-on-purple obfuscation of the don’t-notify-again option adds weight to the trust issue. It’s another “we’re sneaky, we know it, and we don’t care if you know it, too” middle finger to the user.

Didn’t matter as much in the past whether Microsoft was trustworthy or not, because the deal with Windows was set at install time and you had relative autonomy after that. Even though it diminished a bit over the years with online updates, you still had the final say on any changes, and even if you chose to update automatically, there was an expectation there’d be no real deal-changers.

There was also a userbase that, to some degree, could be trusted to stick up for itself and act as a constraint. Does that exist to the same extent in with Windows 10? My recent experience with the November update wasn’t reassuring.

• Ninjitsu

The messages irritated me as well. Couldn’t help but think it was wasting time showing me that stuff.

• UnfriendlyFire

Last year when I had to reinstall Windows 7, I didn’t have an external DVD drive or the installer DVD with me.

Microsoft yanked down all of their download options for Windows 7, except for one of their websites that required you to enter your activation key. Oh, and that website ended up being down for over three days when I needed to reinstall ASAP.

MS’s tech support told me to either install Windows 8 or beta Windows 10, despite the fact that I told them that my laptop’s BIOS (or some other low level firmware) was incompatible with Windows 8/10 and will cause a BSOD when using sleep or hibernate mode. They told me that even tech support does not have access to Windows 7 installer files, and that I would have to wait for their broken website to be fixed, or do without sleep/hibernate functionality for Windows 8/10.

A week later after paying $15 to my university’s online tech store for the installer (activation key not included), I tried their download website again. It gave me an Windows 7 installer with a default Korean language. MS tech support was confused of why an activation key for the English version resulted in me getting a Korean version OS.

tl;dr, Microsoft restricted Windows 7 download access through a buggy, unstable website and refused to acknowledge that there are computers that are completely incompatible with Windows 8/10.

• kvndoom

Heh, I don’t need Windows to be my friend. I don’t need it to empower me, apologize, and worry about my feelings. It’s just a silly direction Microsoft has taken, and I was venting.

It’s just my personal preference that I don’t like to see people in “nature” scenes.

Petty gripes? Yes. But I think Windows 10 is a petty OS. I can’t wait to see adoption rates after the 29th.

• Firestarter

probably peripherals like webcam/SD card reader

• DataMeister

Another alternative (which still probably won’t cut it) is MEmu Android Emulator. It is still clunky, but you can run multiple instances if your computer is beefy enough to run multiple copies of Android.

The best thing would be if Google could create an emulator for Windows that works sort of like the Chromebook integration. Multiple Android apps running seamlessly in their own windows with native apps. That would probably put a huge dent in Microsoft’s UWP app efforts.

• DataMeister

I have come across a couple and both were related to the nVidia chipsets with integrated GPU that HP used for a while on their super cheap tower systems.

• moose103

Yes but that doesn’t mean compatible…

I upgraded 2 work systems (Dell Optiplex 790’s) after my software people said it was OK to do so.
    After the upgrade Windows Explorer would crash and restart every minute or two do to a system incompatibility. Had to replace one system, but to save some $$$ just bought a Windows 7 DVD and downgraded the other.

What a fiasco….

• One Sick Puppy

I have a business client that wanted to take advantage of the *free* offer, despite my recommendations against W10. So, I cloned the hard drive, upgraded to W10 then plugged the hard drive in each addition system one after the other to get it to activate/register. Seems to have worked. Each of them was able to activate. Hopefully the hardware all stays registered.

• dikowexeyu

The answer is NO!

I already told you.

… I wonder how you will convince somebody to pay for it after the “offer” ends.

• CuttinHobo

They neglected to heed Sergeant Lincoln Osiris’ sage advice:

You never go full [s<]retard[/s<] screen.

• bittermann

Yup, NV chipsets are ones that don’t qualify!

• chuckula

BURMA SHAVE!

• ColeLT1

I have a HP Phenom II x4 at a employee’s desk helping him SSD/WIN10 it. It has a NF4 Geforce 6150 chipset. Windows 10 failed the check and wont install, so we stuck in a old geforce 430 lol.

• bittermann

Our old Core 2 Duo Dell laptops were able to…wonder what was different?

• anotherengineer

That and this [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4[/url<] used to be my roomates pre-bar prime up tunes back in the university day..........

• Firestarter

I can’t say I blame them. Despite many people feeling very apprehensive or downright hostile to Windows 10, 3 years down the line nobody give a damn about Windows 7 or 8 anymore. I just wish they didn’t shoot themselves in the foot with all the stuff that depends on sending data to them. I disabled as much of it as possible and it’s been smooth sailing for me

• bittermann

I know there are exceptions but if you have to use the word “vintage” then that should tell you something. 🙂

You must have had one of those Windows 7 N versions or something!

• Firestarter

my old Core 2 Duo laptop didn’t meet them, and despite multiple attempts I haven’t been able to get Windows 10 to boot on it

• DPete27

You must not have a smart phone then either since most/all apps “spy” on you also/worse.

I sold a vintage eee on ebay the other day and because it had a Windows 7 starter product key on it, I thought I’d install 10 on it before I gave it away to add some value over the totally crippled starter edition.

It was retro awesome and unlike XP or 7, Windows 10 can actually deal with the 1024×600 resolution without whining.

Oh, on the subject of whining though, the irresponsibly flat and unergonomic interface of W10 is absolutely horrific on the washed out eee screen and the patronising metro app bloatware didn’t help the 16GB SSD too much.

• Goofus Maximus

Since new HDDs are somewhat cheap at the moment, an easy alternative would be to remove the old HDD, put in the new one, install Windows 7 back onto that, then upgrade to Windows 10 on the new HDD. Get everything working right, then uninstall the new HDD and reinstall the old…

• notuptome2004

Ok well myself including many many others have 0 issue with windows 10 and itunes if it is not working for you guess what it is a user issue you then must have tweaked something causing it not to work. cause i really doubt you have had this much bad luck

• cygnus1

Also, current versions of MacOS highly encourage full screen apps. The maximize button now makes apps completely full screen, hiding the dock and the top menu bar…

• cygnus1

I’ve had similar problems with Win10 upgraded computers. And I actually found a fairly simple fix. Uninstall what’s not working, create a new user profile, delete the old/original profile, reinstall the software. Pain in the ass for people that customize too much, but that’s why I tell people learn to like defaults you never know when you’re going to need to reset something or have them reset for you.

• bittermann

I haven’t come across a computer yet that hasn’t met the requirements. 😉

• flip-mode

Yeah. Microsoft even has a guy parked outside my house now. Spying on me and stuff. Every time I walk out my door he’s offering me products and services based on all the data that Windows 10 has collected about me. I remember back when I used Windows 7 I would never get any spam emails and I would never get targeted adds when I visited websites. Now though…. holy cow, now it is really bad.

I’m pretty sure Windows 10 is the reason Trump is going to get elected president.

• flip-mode

[quote<]"We're glad to have you" "We're almost there" "Just a few more things and we'll be ready" And just I saw the facepalm "sorry to interrupt" on my main rig last week too. All those prompts really annoyed me. Just give me "Windows is now installing, please wait." [/quote<] Oh my gosh, you poor thing! I mean, if that does not show that the OS is completely unusable, nothing will get through to these people. [quote<]And the OS only has FOUR stock wallpapers.[/quote<] So you don't like to be coddled during install, but you want MS to supply all your wall papers for you? You're welcome not to like the OS, and you're even welcome not to like it for the extremely petty reasons you have listed.

• Techgoudy

I like Windows Key+”x” personally.

• DrCR

Yes, spyware in a sense. Not on any of my personal computers. And don’t we all live at home, whatever sort of “home” that may be?

• sweatshopking

I LIKE THE STYLE OF THIS POST! WELL DONE!

• sweatshopking

#SPYWARE # NOTONMYPC #ISTILLLIVEATHOME

• rechicero

Right click on the Start menu gives you a lot of things you can miss (like prompt or Control Panel). Of course, MS didnt think it was important enough to tell you… (its faster than “run” and writing control panel).

• rechicero

My advice: after you have your rig “registered” in MS servers, format and install Win 10 from scratch. The update made my PC really slow.

• rechicero

If something as important as the Settings is in more than one place, with different UI “language”… There is something really wrong with the UI.

The problem with 10 is that gives you very little (the purportedly faster boot is a scam: specially with password) and take away too much (compatibility (there are games and programs that stop working), aero, gadgets, privacy, choosing in general (ie, windows updates), etc).

The main reason I wont go back to 7 is because I was stupid enough not to create an image and now I’m lazy enough not to install Win7 from scratch, specially as 10 is tollerable with 3rd party programs for gadgets (even when “my” gadget doesn’t work) and other fixes to make the thing less stupid. Anyway, If I was with Win 7 right now, and with the experience I have right no2, I’d probably take an image, update to “grab” de free Win 10 for the future and reinstall the Win 7 image right away.

PS: Something really hideous about the choosing and privacy part is that I installed Win 10 with care, uncheck all the spyware options, and used a local account. A few weeks after, after an update, it switched to my hotmail account for login and turned on the privacy options (this last part I noticed because after the change of login got a little paranoid and checked).

• Techgoudy

Nope I meant content. Thank you for catching my mistakes. It’s been a long morning lol.

• BurntMyBacon

While I largely agree with what you’ve stated here,
    [quote<]I'll point out that neither of the notable Windows competitors, macOS or desktop Linux, have been so dense as to try the same thing.[/quote<] I'd like to point out that neither of the notable Windows competitors, macOS or desktop Linux, have been so successful as to threaten Microsoft's hold on the desktop either. We're talking post Win8, Win8.1, and almost a year into Win10. Hate to say it, but it's starting to sound like we're in the minority.

• BurntMyBacon

[quote<]I spent over two hours uninstalling / reinstalling / testing iTunes. So it actually took LESS time to roll back Windows.[/quote<] Ouch. Nasty little problem there. Though, I'm not sure I would have given it that much time in your situation. No point wasting the time if you weren't particularly happy with it to begin with right.

• Zyphos

You have to do the upgrade to get the hardware activated/licensed with Microsoft. After your machine is running Windows 10, you can revert to Windows 7. The upgrade essentially backups up your prior Windows install for you.

[url<]http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/[/url<]

• BurntMyBacon

[quote<] You know at some point computers will have speech and will most likely be polite to you by default. Hopefully in your case they will develop a stoic, neutral attitude.[/quote<] I want mine to talk to me like a Viking ... Stoic it is! [quote<] do not really understand the anti-Windows 10 attitude. I have been using it for a year now.[/quote<] Not yet you haven't ;') (at least not the official release)

• Ninjitsu

SORRY TO INTERRUPT YOU THERE

BUT THIS IS IMPORTANT

LIKE, REALLY, REALLY IMPORTANT

WINDOWS 10

YOU MUST GET

WINDOWS 10

GET IT FREE

WINDOWS 10

OFFER ENDS VERY SOON

[spoiler<]BEFORE WE DO IT FOR YOU[/spoiler<]

• BurntMyBacon

[quote<]... , but I also realize I'd be just as [b<]contempt[/b<] with "Windows is installing" and a progression bar.[/quote<] Did you mean content or was that supposed to be a humorous play on words? I would guess the first, but in the interest of humor, I'll assume the second.

• Magic Hate Ball

I just type “Control Panel” into Run and get to my old settings.

• Ninjitsu

That’s not a software engineer’s personal touch on the OS. It’s marketing’s personal touch on the OS.

Software engineer’s personal touch = “Installing, please wait…”
    [spoiler<][i<]list of files copied and current file being copied/processed[/i<][/spoiler<]

• Ninjitsu

[quote<][b<]Because of[/b<] the strong-arm tactics, Microsoft's release of Windows 10 seems to be success.[/quote<] FTFY

• w76

If your main complaint centers on it not being smartphone-like enough with Android and iOS apps, you’re on a totally different part of the Windows user spectrum than those of us with complaints. I’m happy to have a desktop OS be a desktop OS, designed and optimized for that use case, and leave the touch-centered apps that waste what on desktops is a massive amount of space (like the popup notification this article is referencing) where they belong; on small screen devices like phones and tablets.

I’ll point out that neither of the notable Windows competitors, macOS or desktop Linux, have been so dense as to try the same thing. At least, to my knowledge, been a few years since I played with OSX, and desktop linux can be made in whatever fashion you like but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a distro ship with anything near as bad as what originally came with Win8.

• kvndoom

I spent over two hours uninstalling / reinstalling / testing iTunes. So it actually took LESS time to roll back Windows. This was a fresh install of windows 7 -> SP1 -> Windows 10. It simply would not function properly. When googling the problems I was having, I found that I’m not the only one who has had problems with it. I can’t stand iTunes personally, but the kids have money invested in it, so it’s a requirement.

As far as wallpapers, to quote myself, “Yeah there’s a million pictures I can download…”

I don’t like Windows 10. You do. Yay for you, yay for me.

The wallpaper complaint is weird since the one I use is stock and has no people. It’s that snazzy Windows logo thing.

• Luckyo

And cannot be disabled in consumer version at all. And the updates you cannot refuse in the consumer version without installing third party blockers. And all the other similar crap.

But yes, otherwise it’s a good OS.

• tipoo

Humanizing computer error messages = devolving human culture?

As long as they don’t take away researchable error codes (my irk with iOS and OSX, when things fail they just stop without telling you pretty often), that’s fine by me.

• DrCR

I thought the host file was / can be bypassed in Win10? Or are you blocking via some other means e.g. via your router?

• 1sh

Windows 10 is pretty neat minus all the spying and data mining mechanisms that are enabled by default. O-O

• xeridea

Theoretically you could do a backup (with say Macrium Reflect, there is a free version), upgrade to 10, back up that, then restore Win7. It would be a bit of a hassle though. I am for sure keeping a Win7 backup in case I need it in future. I am not sure what happens with your old OS licence though.

• MatthiasF

Reinstalling iTunes would have taken a lot less time than rolling back Windows.

I do not see anything wrong with software engineers putting a personal touch on the installation process. You know at some point computers will have speech and will most likely be polite to you by default. Hopefully in your case they will develop a stoic, neutral attitude.

As far as wallpapers, you realize there is an Internet full of pictures you can set as your wallpaper in two clicks?

I do not really understand the anti-Windows 10 attitude. I have been using it for a year now (with all of those nasty tracking hosts blocked) and enjoy it. My only complaint is the lack of some Android and iPad apps I use regularly that would be nice to have on Windows as well (Bluestacks isn’t cutting it) but hopefully that will change with time.

• Techgoudy

I’ve had Zero problems on any of my Win 10 systems with iTunes. You must have upgraded right as it was available or maybe there may be issues with those systems.

The prompts are neither here nor there. I appreciate having them let me know it’s almost done, but I also realize I’d be just as content with “Windows is installing” and a progression bar.

I can’t speak about the stock wallpapers. I either keep it on the default one (which was a picture of the logo) or I change it to something I want it to be.

I always laugh when people bring up the UI. I don’t see anything wrong with it honestly, however I won’t lie about the atrocious “Settings” menu that is a half-ass replacement for the Control panel.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

iTunes works very well for me on Windows 10 for both transferring purchase and syncing/backing up manually. Must be something with that machine.

• Alexko

Hmm, I don’t suppose there’s any way to “order” the free upgrade before July 29, but refrain from enabling it until later?

• TwoEars

Nice try.

• kvndoom

I rolled back to 7 on the kids’ computer. ITunes just would NOT work right with win10, and they really want iTunes because they have purchased music.

Windows 10 has irked me on the 2 computers that I did upgrade and keep it on. It’s a reflection of the pampered social media culture we’ve (d)evolved into.

“We’re glad to have you”
    “We’re almost there”
    “Just a few more things and we’ll be ready”
    And just I saw the facepalm “sorry to interrupt” on my main rig last week too.

All those prompts really annoyed me. Just give me “Windows is now installing, please wait.”

And the OS only has FOUR stock wallpapers. And all of them have people in them. You know, because it’s all about “the individual” now or something. Yeah there’s a million pictures I can download, but seriously? Going back as far as I can remember there have always been a multitude of wallpapers available. Nature scenes, art, architecture. Nope, now it’s just 4 and they all embody “the power of you.”

I won’t even get into the UI. Enough has already been said here, there, and everywhere.

Yeah, I’m glad they were giving it away. It was still overpriced.

• yogibbear

Why is my helicopter flying in?

• chuckula

Oh, it’s got [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw<]an official soundtrack too.[/url<]

Share this post with your friends!