Would you look at that? it's Friday again already. I guess that explains why we're spending our morning combing the web looking for the best deals on computer hardware. Take a look at what we've found.
- First up, let's welcome the Mushkin Enhanced Eco3 SSD back to our deals of the week. This time around, we're looking at the 480GB model of the oft-featured SSD. Newegg is offering the drive for $99.99, which works out to a bit under $0.21/GB. This isn't the fastest drive on the block, but it's hard to argue with an SSD from a major vendor for such a sweet price.
- We've been seeing Z170 chipset motherboards pop in and out of our weekly deal posts for the last couple of months, and we're happy to say this is an "in" week. Newegg has Gigabyte's GA-Z170-HD3 motherboard on sale for $89.99, making it the cheapest Z170 board on the site. This is a pretty basic board and lacks modern niceties like USB 3.1. That said, if you are just looking for a basic board to pair with one of Intel's K series Skylake processors, it might be just the thing. If the cheap entry price doesn't quite convince you, maybe Newegg's $10 mail-in rebate will put you over the edge.
- Corsair's Obsidian 750D is also on sale at the 'Egg this week for a mere $129.99 after promo code EMCELEL22. That price drops to $109.99 if we factor in a $20 mail-in rebate also on offer. We've long recommended this case in our System Guides after reviewing it way back in 2013.
- Intel's Core i5-6400 is a surprise entrant for our deals of the week. We've long considered the low-clocked 6400 to be the black sheep of the Skylake Core i5s, due to its low clock speeds and its small price delta compared to the Core i5-6500. Now Newegg is offering the less-zippy 6400 for $169.99 after promo code EMCELEM22. This makes the 6400 about $25 cheaper than the 6500, which we figure is about the right price difference given the chip's lower clock speeds.
- Speaking of surprise guests, how about an XFX Radeon Fury X? Newegg has this card on sale for $399.99. This is currently AMD's fastest single-GPU graphics card, so if you have a FreeSync monitor this might just be your best choice at the moment. The Fury X's closed-loop liquid cooler is a nice touch so long as it doesn't whine, and the card should offer performance similar to the similarly-priced GTX 1070 in many titles.
- Best Buy is asking $99.99 for Dell's S2316 display this week. This is a 23" IPS display that's cheaper than a lot of similarly-sized TN displays. The caveat on this deal is that the display only has VGA and DVI ports, so if you were hoping to use more modern inputs, you might be stuck using an adapter. Best Buy's specs page for the display is a bit thin, but you can find a detailed rundown on the unit's features at Dell's site.
There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping. Not only do we have a partnership with Newegg, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, Rakuten, Walmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at the Microsoft Store, the HP Store, and Das Keyboard's shop.
That's all for this week, folks. If we missed a great deal somewhere, be sure to share it with other TR readers in the comments.