Enermax ETS-T50 heatsink keeps its cool with 250W CPUs

Enermax just announced the ETS-T50 AXE, a new heatpipe-based tower cooler with a 120mm fan attached. The company says this tower is suitable for CPUs with up to 250W TDPs. Yes, that's right—an air cooler which can handle an AMD FX-9590. 250W is a lot of dissipation for a single-fan, single-radiator cooler, and Enermax says it has achieved that number through advanced technology. It claims seven patents went into this "blizzard master." If you're curious about what Vortex Generator Flow, Pressure Differential Flow, and Dust Free Rotation mean, you can watch Enermax's video below.

The technology isn't all talk, though. The fan on this heatsink uses what Enermax calls a twister bearing, which appears to be a form of maglev technology like the Corsair fans we talked about recently. The cooler itself, which uses five 6-mm heatpipes, is offset slightly to prevent contact with especially tall RAM. On the back of the cooler, there's an exhaust guide that can be rotated to direct the hot air leaving the radiator. And of course, the fan has customizable RGB LED lighting. Enermax says the new cooler will be available late this month.

• Krogoth

This HSF solution can also be used with one of those new Broadwell-E chips you want to do an aggressive overclock on that 10-core chip.

• albundy

250W TDP? if you are getting your still AMD cpus from the dollar bin, then you’re doing it wrong.

• synthtel2

I wouldn’t read too much into the 250W rating. It could be legit for all we know, but I think every time I’ve seen that kind of rating on a heatsink it’s been obviously far higher than the amount of power you’d actually want to put under it. Modest heatsinks could handle pretty ridiculous power if you delid, use gallium TIM, run the fan at loud speeds, and are fine with running 95C regardless. 😉

• heerohawwah

I suppose if your need to market a product why not advertise its “Pantents.” Perhaps they should get their lawyer band back together and sue every car manufacture for having directional air vents…clearly they’ve had their patented design stolen.

• Bensam123

Weird… I’ve seen direct touch heatpipes before, which either means they got a patent for something slightly similar or they won a patent and this is going away from other coolers. 🙁

Either way, this sounds pretty good… I don’t think there are any 250w heatsink coolers on the market. Although that depends on how much this costs.

• Waco

Looking at it, I have my doubts it’ll actually be effective with a 250 watt heat source…time will tell.

I hope they didn’t nab the patent over a technicality.

• Bensam123

Yeah, gonna wait for it to pop up in xbitlabs in their giant heatsink spreadsheet.

• DPete27

Oh, I thought xbitlabs had gone belly up.
          [Add] Yeah, their last article was November 2014

• Srsly_Bro

Is FrostyTech still above water?

Just about, but for how long?

The tweens and millenials just want some vlogger to repeat themselves in a spontaneous, error-filled video review of something, completely lacking in proper test methodology, consistency or proper discussion. Oh, it needs to be full of blatant plugs, shouts out to homies and reminders to like and subscribe every thirty seconds.

• Spunjji

As a millenial, I would be offended were this not broadly true. 😐

My condolences.

• sweatshopking

It isn’t broadly true. It’s an old man whining. Their favorite past time, going back all the way to the ancient greeks.
            Is my statement any truer than his? Well, the ancient Greek part is.

• DPete27

Someone doesn’t like Linus Tech Tips

• nexxcat

They don’t say they own the patents, just that they’re patented. They also don’t say what aspect is patented. Maybe they’ve licensed the patent from someone else? Maybe it’s the way they attach the heatpipes to the rest, so another attachment method will be non-infringing? The video is a bit thin on details.

• DPete27

[quote<]Enermax calls a twister bearing, which appears to be a form of maglev technology like the Corsair fans we talked about recently.[/quote<] This kinda sounds like Corsair had maglev first, whereas Enermax has been using this tech [url=http://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/zardon/enermax-tb-silence-and-apollish-vegas-fans-review/2/<]since 2010[/url<]

• RAGEPRO

Wasn’t my intention. Maglev has been around a long time.

• Mr Bill

I was buying [url=http://www.sunon.com/tw/products/pdf/technology.pdf<]Sunon Maglev fans[/url<] back in 2003.

Gotta get me some of those pantents.

My existing pants aren’t protected from intellectual property theives yet and I feel this is a market segment I have been neglecting!

Oh noes, they’ve fixed the typo and uploaded a new video without the Engrish.

[i<]EDIT: LOLOLOLOL, no they still haven't fixed [b<]*all*[/b<] the typos. The 20-second mark in the video still has some pantents for me. <Insert joke about Chinese quality control here>[/i<]

• Voldenuit

[quote<]EDIT: LOLOLOLOL, no they still haven't fixed *all* the typos. The 20-second mark in the video still has some pantents for me.[/quote<] That video gave me pantents.