Razer brings its mechanical keyboard expertise to the iPad Pro

The iPad Pro may not be the gaming PC of the future just yet, but Razer isn't waiting for the platform to churn out desktop gaming performance to get in on the fun. The company is showing off a keyboard case for Apple's top-end slate that features what are claimed to be the world's first mechanical key switches for a mobile device.

Though Asus' ROG GX800 would likely want to contest that "world's first" claim, there's no denying that Razer knows a thing or two about mechanical keyboards. In this case, the company appears to have modified a low-profile scissor switch with some kind of central plunger for better feel.

Razer says its mobile mechanical switches have a 70-gram actuation force, and they purportedly offer "the exact same performance and feel as a full-fledged mechanical keyboard." We'll have to reserve judgment on that point. Each key in this case is backlit for visibility in dark environments, too.

The case connects to the 12.9" iPad Pro using Bluetooth. (No word on whether a similar case will be available for the 9.7" Pro.) Razer says the built-in battery is good for 10 hours of use with the backlight maxed, or as long as 600 hours with the lights out. The case itself is mostly made of polycarbonate, but the kickstand is made of metal. Demanding iPad Pro users can order this case from Razer's store today for $169.99.

• ludi

[quote<]and they purportedly offer[/quote<] Keep 'em coming!

• DeadOfKnight

Looks more like a concept design for a keyboard they may put into their laptops than an actual product that people will want to buy. Maybe they’re just doing it for QA testing? I don’t know, but it’s not really a product that makes a whole lot of sense. It’s a niche accessory for an already niche product, I don’t expect they’ll make a whole lot of money off of it.

• TwistedKestrel

I almost can’t believe it’s a Razer product… there’s no green on it anywhere

• End User

I bought the Logitech CREATE Backlit Keyboard for my 12.9″ iPad Pro. I soon realized that it killed what is awesome about the iPad – portability. I switched to the Apple keyboard and I’ve never looked back.

• Kieta

I was waiting on a price drop for the Zagg clam shell for the Ipad Pro. This looks sleek though!

• trackerben

I use Logitech’s Ultrathin bluetooth keyboard with my iPad 2/Air 2 and it’s been a productivity wonder along with Windows. Always bring it around with me just in case (and just in the case, too, it’s so thin and light)

• Norphy

Why are they using Bluetooth instead of the smart connector?

Our CEO stopped using his iPad Pro.

All the best accessories target the 10″ iPads, and almost all apps waste the extra screen real estate on the Pro. He essentially decided that it was bigger, heavier, more expensive and completely and utterly redundant in a market catering to 10″ tablets.

Now, (thanks to Razer) he can turn it into an iOS convertible laptop that weighs more, does less, and is slower than several of the far cheaper ultrabooks.

• Thresher

I have the ginormous iPad Pro and a lot of regret.

I should have waited for the 10″. The big one is just not practical, same problem I had with the Surface Pro. Both of them are too large for just being a tablet.

• digitalnut

I have both the Surface Pro 4 and the 10″ iPad Pro for app development and testing. When not using for development I use the Surface Pro when I have a ‘surface’ I can put it on. e.g. at the car dealership waiting for my car to be serviced — they usually have desk that you can work at. I use the iPad Pro when just consuming media (watching Netflix) as it’s easier to hold then the Surface Pro 4.

• tipoo

Still amuses me that this is exactly what you’re doing with the Pro in a keyboard dock

[url<]https://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/2010/10/Vertical-Multitouch-660x361.png[/url<] A trackpad on the same horizontal pane as the keyboard just makes so much ergonomic sense. Clamshells stuck around for good reason.

• kamikaziechameleon

your right. But allot of what apple is doing with product design and market segmentation is just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

The ipad pro is cannibalizing regular ipad market and mac pro market segments. mac books, there are way to many options that are similar looking and similar in their lack of functionality.

• kamikaziechameleon

Interesting at the least. I’d like to try it out though I’m dubious if it isn’t just a cash grab at that price point.

• NTMBK

Why

• sweatshopking

I was going to type the exact same thing.

• cynan

It has been estimated by a team of statisticians that, based on all data ever collected on demand for enthusiast keyboard devices for tablets, the intersection of people who would be interested in a mechanical keyboard who use an iPad as a primary computing device (ie, justifying the need for any sort of substantial keyboard, let alone a mechanical one) is approximately 2 (95% confidence: -20, 25).

• trackerben

Because it’s there, by the hundreds of millions?