Deals of the week: a hot Z170 mobo for $118.99 and more
Despite our ongoing efforts to the contrary, time continues to pass. Because of that inevitability, we find ourselves in the thick of another Friday. There is a silver lining, though: another Deals-of-the-Week post. We've scoured the web extra hard today to find you the best deals on computer hardware available. Take a look at what we found.
- Gigabyte's GA-Z170XP-SLI is on sale at Newegg this week for $118.99 after coupon code EMCELFJ23, with a $10 mail-in rebate that could bring the total cost down to $108.99. That's a really nice price for a board that usually fetches on the order of $150. This is a Z170 board, which means it supports easy overclocking of Intel's K-series processors. The board has a solid feature set for the price, including just about all the features we'd like to see on an enthusiast board. Fast storage is handled by three SATA-Express connectors or a lone M.2 slot. No fewer than three PCIe x16 slots are available, with SLI support for some sweet multi-GPU potential. Top it off with an Intel NIC and a USB Type-C connection, and who could ask for more from an inexpensive Z170 board?
- Next up we have the Corsair Carbide 200R, a case that we reviewed way back in 2012. We liked it enough then to continue recommending it in our System Guide even now. Newegg has it on sale for $54.99 right now, a nice drop from our last System Guide recommendation, with a $10 mail-in rebate to further sweeten the deal.
- IPS displays have usually carried a premium over other panels. Lately, we have been seeing some cheaper IPS displays pop up from reputable companies, and this deal is the perfect example of that phenomenon. Newegg is selling the LG 22MC57HQ-P for $99.99. This is a 21" IPS panel with a bog-standard 1920x1080 resolution, and a pretty sweet three-year warranty. The only real caveat to the deal is the odd input selection, which is limited to a VGA and an HDMI connection.
- For a bit more of an enthusiast display, the 'Egg has Viewsonic's XG2701 on sale for $289.99. This is a 27", FreeSync-capable display with a 144-Hz refresh rate. The bad news is that it shares the same 1920x1280 resolution of the much smaller, much cheaper LG display above, and it relies on a TN panel. Thankfully, it doesn't share the dearth of connectivity. This display offers a mini-DisplayPort, a regular DisplayPort, and an HDMI input.
- If you're more in the mood for some big storage, Newegg has Western Digital's 5TB Black 3.5" drive for $189.99 with promo code ESCELFT22. While this drive won't keep up with an SSD, it is a 7200-RPM disk with a fat 128MB cache, so it should be pretty zippy for spinning rust.
There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping. Not only do we have a partnership with Newegg, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, Rakuten, Walmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at the Microsoft Store, the HP Store, and Das Keyboard's shop.
That's all for this week, folks. If we missed a great deal somewhere, be sure to share it with other TR readers in the comments.