Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.7.2 gets WHQL certification

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.7.2, AMD's most recent graphics driver, gained WHQL certification today. This driver actually released on July 12 and was marked as a beta at that time, but today the release notes (if not the download page) have been updated with the new certification. This is AMD's first WHQL-certified driver since version 16.3.2 in March.

Not much has changed in this driver since version 16.7.1, although AMD moved the "compatibility mode" toggle for the RX 480 into the Global Settings menu to make it more obvious. The previous version also had a bug where Compatibility Mode would remain set even if the user chose to "Restore Factory Defaults" in the Crimson software. That bug is fixed in this release.

Aside from that, the second verse of 16.7 is pretty much the same as the first. The new driver supports all GCN-based Radeons (HD 7000 series and up) on 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and later. Check out the release notes, or pick up the new driver from AMD's download page.

• BobbinThreadbare

So this driver seems to work with all 3 Vulkan/DX12 apps I have. Which is good. Unfortunately, there is a bug with the raptr/gaming evolved app. I constantly get “elevation proxy as stopped working” unless I close it.

• odizzido

WHQL certifications. I still don’t understand what the point of this is.

• Shobai

As an aside, has anyone else come across an issue where the AMD driver suite gets uninstalled at boot on Windows 10? I thought I was going mad, because I would install the driver and then at next boot I’d get a notification from AMD telling me that there was an update available [to the same version that I’d [i<]just[/i<] installed]. It appears that Windows was replacing the up-to-date driver with the "WU-CCC2" driver under C:\AMD. The only way I could find that would fix it was to disable Windows' automagic driver update...does anyone know of a better fix? Would this WHQL driver at least supersede the WU-CCC2 one?

• rxc6

That never happened to me with my old 7970. What card are you using?

• Shobai

I get it at work with an HD6950 and at home with my R9 290.

• tipoo

Only the first time after upgrade installing, once I had the autodetect thing get the driver for me it stayed after that.

• Shobai

I thought that maybe it was because I was using the Beta driver [at the time] for my R9 290, but even using the WHQL driver would have the WU driver installed in place of the WHQL driver at next boot.

Similarly with the HD6950 at work, the latest from AMD is the 16.2.1 beta; amusingly, when I install that [with Windows driver updates disabled] I get a notification from Crimson that there is a newer driver available, which turns out to be the 15.7 WHQL driver…

• Sam125

😉 No one even cares.

• Sam125

Someone at AMD must actually be trying these days.

• Sam125

Because we sure as heavens know I sure as aren’t these days. LoL

• Neutronbeam

All hail the Wassoning!

• Sam125

#TheWassoningEffect!

• DPete27

I hate Crimson. Oversimplified. I still haven’t figured out how to adjust/disable dynamic contrast (which is horribly distracting on my HTPC)

• anotherengineer

Can’t dynamic contrast be disabled right on your TV options?? I know my TV has that option.

• Vaughn

That’s how normal people do it lol.

• DPete27

The way I understand it and see it, the GPU can adjust contrast and the TV can adjust contrast. I’ve disabled dynamic contrast on my TV and that didn’t fix the issue until I also disabled it in CCC. However, with Crimson, the problem has resurfaced as if dynamic contrast is being applied by the GPU again, except now there appears to be no way to turn it off.

• JosiahBradley

I thought the whole WHQL debate was dead. Who cares what the driver version is called I’m updating to it.

• flip-mode

What was the debate about?

• JosiahBradley

That WHQL is a pointless step in releasing drivers. AMD’s new quick to release drivers are more important than getting a silly label from WHQL.

Doesn’t Microsoft only distribute WHQL-certified drivers via Windows Update? Unless you’re really paying attention, this might be the only way some folks get drivers.

• Goty

You could argue that the people who only get their drivers through Windows Update aren’t the sort of people who particularly care about changes made in non-WHQL drivers.

Maybe, but they may also be people who care about weird system hangs and stuff, and if these fix bugs then everyone should get them.

I just don’t see that as an argument against WHQL certification.

• Goty

Oh, I don’t either, but I don’t think AMD needs to seek WHQL certification more than once or twice a year.

Looks like they’re going for quarterly, which is a fine pace. 15.12, 16.3, 16.7…seems fine to me.

• BobbinThreadbare

So far all the non-WHQL drivers cause an annoying bug with their raptr/gaming evolved app and my 7850.

Also, depending on the driver on some subset of the few Vulkan/DX12 applications I have work.

We’ll see if this is an improvement.