Deals of the week: cheap solid-state storage and more

Happy Friday, gerbils. We're getting geared up for the TR BBQ this weekend, but we'd be neglecting our duties if we didn't scour the interwebs for all the best PC hardware deals out there. Here's what we found this week.

• Mushkin's Eco3 480GB SSD is $96.99 at Newegg with promo code ESCELGG74. That price makes the Eco3 just 20 cents per gig. This is a TLC SSD with a Silicon Motion SM2256 controller, so its internals definitely match the price tag. It looks perfect for a system drive or modest storage drive, though.

• If 480GB isn't enough, Newegg also has Adata's Premier SP550 960GB SSD for $204.99. This drive rings in at 21 cents per gig, a fine price for a large chunk of bulk storage.

• Finally, if your SSD needs to be both large and fast, Newegg has Mushkin's Reactor 1TB SSD marked down to $229.99 with promo code ESCELGF33. This isn't the lowest price we've ever seen this drive hit, but it's a $20 markdown from its recent stable price.

• Got a FreeSync monitor you're looking to run as fast as possible? Newegg has XFX's take on the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X on sale for $399.99. Even if it's slightly beaten out by Nvidia's similarly-priced GeForce GTX 1070 in today's games, the Fury X is still the fastest Radeon around, and it sometimes exhibits surprising performance boosts with next-generation graphics APIs.

• If you've been thinking about moving to an iPad full-time, Best Buy has some compelling deals on the 9.7" iPad Pro, Apple's most advanced slate right now. Excuse the repetition to come, but the 32GB model is $474.99 in space gray, silver, gold, and rose gold. The 128GB model is $624.99 in space gray, silver, gold, and rose gold. Finally, the 256GB model is $774.99 in space gray.

There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at the Microsoft Store, the HP Store, and Das Keyboard's shop.

That's all for this week, folks. If we missed a great deal somewhere, be sure to share it with other TR readers in the comments.

• kamikaziechameleon

love those 200 dollar terabyte SSDs

• Shoki

Just ordered a 1TB 850 EVO.

• meerkt

[quote<]you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links[/quote<] The URLs don't have LinkSynergy redirection when Javascript's off. Might be worth embedding these statically?

• travbrad

SSD prices just keep dropping. That 960GB Adata is the same price I got my 500GB MX200 for only a little over a year ago. Can we hit the magical 10 cents per GB by next year?

• kn314159

It seems like the prices have dropped very quickly. I remember it being a huge deal when they went below $1/GB.

• Wirko

Time to wake up some people? Nah, next year.

• smilingcrow

I’m unimpressed as usually the only really cheap drives are the lower end TLC ones which have cut a lot of corners to hit that price point.
      They are fine for many usages but you are still paying less for less.
      I don’t see 10 cents per GB within a year as being feasible at all unless there is a vast over-supply of NAND which could hit pricing a lot.
      Outside of that I don’t see anything disruptive that will halve pricing and maybe you overpaid for your MX200 which distorts your perspective of the market!

• travbrad

I got the MX200 on sale and the absolute cheapest drives of a similar size were maybe $15 cheaper, but those weren’t from any of the big players (Samsung, Crucial, Intel, Sandisk, OCZ, etc). In fact the BX100 at that time (which was Crucial’s “budget” drive at that point) actually had a higher cost per GB.

• Stochastic

It will likely be at least a few years before we hit $0.10/GB. I heard some rumors that prices may even temporarily increase slightly later this year.

Hopefully by late 2018 all consumer PCs will use SSDs exclusively. The days of HDDs for boot drives are numbered, that’s for sure.

• kvndoom

I’m sure we’ll get awful close by next year. When I can get my mitts on a 480GB for 50 dollars or less, I’m going to convert all the remaining PC’s in the house to SSD.

• sweatshopking

Guys. Do a Canadian version so we can cry.

• DrCR

Just ask Newegg US to smother the card in maple syrup before shipping. This avoids VAT as it will be viewed as a native product by customs.

• Flying Fox

Just the FX alone nowadays is enough to make us cry.

• UberGerbil

It has to be [i<]real[/i<] Maple Syrup, though -- none of that fake crap, or the mounties will [url=https://youtu.be/cPX3lEIS4bo?t=4m44s<]write you up[/url<].

• sweatshopking

The Quebec maple syrup cartels are not to be trifled with. No joke. You’ll go to jail.

That being said, Americans talk about maple syrup all the time, but we don’t really eat it. Not anyone I know anyway.

• DrCR

It depends on where you are in America and frankly the type of people as well as America is so inherently diverse even often within a given area. The average Joe though, sure, likely uses a corn syrup based ‘maple’ syrup.

• JustAnEngineer

I rarely eat syrup of any kind. However, while on vacation in [url=http://www.digby.ca/<]Nova Scotia[/url<] a few weeks ago, I was astonished when I was served "pancake syrup" that was corn syrup rather than maple syrup.

• jdevers

I eat real maple syrup…not exclusively, I wouldn’t put it on Lego waffles or something for example. The real stuff is great on pancakes, risen waffles, and several other things and they wouldn’t be the same with Aunt Jemima or the like.

• Sargent Duck

ie, NAFTA

• MaxTheLimit

Newegg.CA has the 480GB Mushkin ECO3 for $135CAD without the code. That’s still not too bad.

• Sargent Duck

They used to do a Canadian one…haven’t seen it for a year or so.

That being said, I just spent all my free spending money this morning buying a new hockey stick/shin pads and helmet. No new computer parts for me : (

• alphacheez

• cpucrust

I spent my lastest earnings on beer and back bacon.

• Neutronbeam

Who wouldn’t? They’re life’s essentials–and two of my favorite food groups.

• DrCR

QFT!

[quote<]Not having spending money left because you spent it all on hockey equipment is impressively Canadian![/quote<]