AMD Radeon Pro graphics cards bring Polaris to content pros

Along with its innovative Radeon Pro SSG card, AMD unveiled three new workstation graphics cards under that same new Radeon Pro brand. The Radeon Pro WX series takes Polaris GPUs to the workstation market across three different cards targeted at distinct use cases.

We're working on getting all the details of these cards, but for now, AMD classifies the Radeon Pro WX 7100 as "fully capable for design engineering and media and entertainment." It's also the company's "workstation solution for professional VR content creation." It's a single-slot card with four DisplayPort outputs.

The Radeon Pro WX 5100 is targeted at users of "real-time content engines" and "immersive real-time design and manufacturing." This card is barely longer than the PCIe slot, and it offers four DisplayPort outputs, as well.

The Radeon Pro WX 4100 is a half-height card with four Mini DisplayPort outputs. AMD says this card is aimed at small-form-factor workstations. AMD expects to begin shipping these cards in the fourth quarter of this year.

Not that many will be interested in the Firepro, but the Radeon Pro WX 5100 looks promising for the SFF crowd and all those people with Dell/HP/Lenovo compact PC’s bought off-the-shelf, since it’ll be Polaris 11, or a scaled back version of Polaris 10 in a half-height, single-slot form factor.

All those poor people stuck with Radeon HD7750 cards (or their R5 rebrands) because of the low-profile single-slot limitation. As far as I know, Even the GTX750’s never came in that form factor. The Consumer Radeon based off the same Polaris chip powering the Radeon Pro WX 5100 will be a huge upgrade for them.

• Unknown-Error

Why are they in Blue?

• JosiahBradley

Maybe a link to the 6000k color temperature of the star Polaris. A nice blue in the night sky.

• Krogoth

Actually, Polaris is a yellow-white “late F” supergiant that is towards the end of its life. 😉

• Meadows

To fit the CPUs they’re going to be paired with.

• Shobai

Big Blue? I hear Power 8 has a lot going for it.

• Krogoth

Blue is the new fad color in electronics.

Just look how many “blue” LEDs you find in electronics.

• tipoo

[url<]https://twitter.com/RadeonPro/status/757759851590217729[/url<]

• the

The thing that boggles me mind is that the WX5100 only uses eight PCIe lanes but has a full PCIe 16x connector. Considering the workstation/server market it is targeted at, there are systems that have physical PCIe 8x slots. So why the need to use the full size PCIe 16x physical connector?

• Neutronbeam

Okay, this is a dumb question, but why can’t consumer cards be this thin instead of taking up three slots?

• Anovoca

Consumer workstations have a higher priority for low temps, low noise, port variety and compatibility. They are also designed to afford the extra expansion slot and typically have far greater diminishing returns when stacking more components into these slots.

Where as in the server space the priority is expand-ability, and noise and temperatures are mostly non-factors.

• chuckula

It’s not a dumb question but… if you heard one of those single-slot fans when the card is running under high load, you’d have your answer.

• raddude9

Where’s your evidence that these cards are loud. Not got any? Didn’t think so.

Thanks for your FUD yet again.

• Concupiscence

In chuckula’s defense, low height turbine form factor GPUs just tend to run louder than designs with more headroom. It’s the nature of the beast, though for the intended form factors and use cases it probably won’t be a huge problem for these cards.

• Anovoca

Logic.
          1.) These cards have equal or more heat to dissapate than their consumer counter parts
          2.) There is a smaller fan
          3.) There is a smaller vapor chamber
          4.) There are no exhaust ports to quietly and passivley direct airflow
          5.) (as I already stated above) There isn’t a concern for noise for parts housed in a server closet, so there is no reason to believe they spent any extra cash on R&D or higher quality cooling components.
          6.) Every single-slot (or double-slot for that matter) blower style card made previously (regardless of brand) has been terrible at noise, heat dissipation or both.

• raddude9

[quote<]These cards have equal or more heat to dissapate than their consumer counter parts[/quote<] I see no evidence for that statement. To start with these cards have disabled parts of their GPU, so they're not like the consumer cards. Secondly, I have seen no reports about the clock-speeds (boost speed or regular speed) of these cards, and more importantly the voltage the GPU's run at in this case. These three factors have a dramatic effect on the amount of heat a GPU dissipates. I agree, that all things being equal, these cards would likely be noisy, but unlike some people, I'm going to reserve my judgement until I get some more facts or, better yet, a review.

• chuckula

Well as I said above, it wasn’t a stupid question.

Didn’t stop you from making a stupid statement though.

• raddude9

I still see no hard evidence to say that these cards are going to be noisy, just speculation. I thought you were all about hard evidence!

And I already know that you think it’s stupid not to be prejudiced against AMD. That comes across from every one of your posts.

Which brings me back yet again to, what is your problem with AMD?

• Ninjitsu

I didn’t see anything specifically anti-AMD, here.

• raddude9

Try looking at every AMD related article, he/she posts on every article, never with anything positive.

• Waco

Dude, you’re being obnoxious.

It’s a server/workstation card. In general, if such cards have fans, they’re stupid loud. That’s just how the server market works. It’s not a negative. It’s not anyone being critical of AMD. It’s just how that market is, since acoustics are not even a factor when buying or using them.

• raddude9

Yes, in General these cards are loud, but I’ve worked with server/workstation cards, and not all of them are loud. Maybe it is sometimes obnoxious when people are open-minded, but I will continue to reserve judgment until I see actual evidence.

• Waco

Your open mindedness isn’t obnoxious, your attitude is. Nobody cares if these cards end up being loud, yet you read posts about them likely being loud, and jump on the “why hate AMD” bandwagon.

Also – they’re going to be loud under load. Nobody cares. 🙂

• raddude9

You’re lacking context I think. I was responding to Chuckula, who misses no opportunity to pour scorn upon AMD. Try looking at any AMD related article on this website, he’s always there with something negative to say. And he’s always the one who, if you disagree with him demands “hard evidence”. I was merely applying the same standards to his posts. You might find that obnoxious, but I find his posts obnoxious, hence my replies.

• Waco

No, I’m well aware of his antics. Countering them by being annoying isn’t helpful or productive.

In this particular case, it’s a well accepted fact that these cards will probably be loud, and that’s a direct reply to someone wondering why desktop coolers don’t look like this. Chuck’s post was relevant, on topic, and not inflammatory.

• raddude9

His post was all those things but it was also speculative. He never speculates negatively when it comes to his favorite company.

• Klimax

Not really. Physics will ensure that. (I have cooler for Xeon’s on my LGA2011 as temporary cooling, it is quite loud due to small size and single fan. Same will go for this card.)

• Andrew Lauritzen

He didn’t say anything of the sort – he basically just said server/workstation stuff is loud (across the board, not specific to any one card/vendor) and that’s why it’s inappropriate for home machines. You even agreed with that a few posts up so maybe let’s all just agree and move on 🙂

• ImSpartacus

Space is at a premium in professional environments (hence the short pcb and half height options), whereas space conservation is only stylish in the gaming desktop world.

But I know what you mean. These cards are adorable and I kinda want one just because of that.

It’s probably something boring like a VGA output, but if I’m wrong I wonder what that little header is for.

• NTMBK

Back of head Matrix plug

It plugs into the back of my head? So, like, it’ll pipe VR directly to my brain!

• Anovoca

liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink Start!

As soon as I read the email alert about this comment I just knew what you were replying to and it elicited a genuine laugh aloud moment from me. Have 3 pluses.

• chuckula

Well, Nvidia is dropping SLI support so AMD added it.

• raddude9

Having a go an Nvidia and AMD in one post, yup, that’ll be an intel fanboi.

• ImSpartacus

Good catch. Very interesting.

• the

It is the same header AMD has put on previous FirePro cards: [url=http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/workstation/firepro-display-wall/s400<]GenLock.[/url<]

Ah, good catch. I knew that external clocks could be important in video production (with multiple sources) to keep audio and video in sync. Didn’t realize they were important to do separately for multi-rig rendering gigs but it makes sense.

• chuckula

[quote<]It's also the company's "workstation solution for professional VR content creation."[/quote<] So how is it an upgrade from their previous VR content creation card? [url<]https://techreport.com/review/30037/amd-radeon-pro-duo-bridges-the-professional-consumer-divide[/url<] [quote<]You see, AMD isn't positioning the Pro Duo as an enthusiast graphics card in the vein of the Radeon R9 295 X2. Instead, the company tells me the Pro Duo is intended as a multi-GPU development platform for VR content creators and other content professionals[/quote<]

• raddude9

Every single article! Seriously, what is your problem with AMD?

• Concupiscence

First it was a tendency, then it became schtick, and now it’s just monotony.

edit: If this post gets three down votes in rapid succession, chuckula’s a gold member. Just saying.

• raddude9

Yea, I’ve noticed the three downvotes in a minute on my responses to him as well.

• chuckula

Do you have a problem with the Radeon Pro Duo?

I’m asking a serious question here. This card is somewhat cheaper than the Radeon Pro Duo, but not by a margin that would give it a win in the price-performance department.

If it is being compared to an older Hawaii-based Radeon for regular workstation use then I can see the point. However, AMD went out of its way to use “VR” as the marketing lead for this part and they just launched another part that’s only marginally more expensive but with substantially more performance that is targeting the exact same VR developer market.

Just because you come after me in [b<]every single article[/b<] with empty complaints that aren't backed up by hard factual evidence to support anything you say doesn't make me wrong or you right.

• raddude9

No you’re not asking a serious question, it’s pretty obvious that, among various other improvements, at the very least the new workstation cards will be more power efficient than the previous. I find it sad that somebody who whines about AMD’s power consumption at every opportunity (and I realize I’ve given you yet another opportunity here) that you wouldn’t at least acknowledge that.

You say I don’t back up my complaints with hard factual evidence, my complaint here is that you come up with a negative spin and relentless FUD on every single AMD-related article. My evidence is this web site.

And Wrong, I don’t come after you in [b<]every single article[/b<], I don't have the time to constantly refute your mental gymnastics, negative spin and FUD. My evidence, again, is this web site. Don't pretend you're here to discuss the technology behind some graphics card or other, you're here to have yet another go at AMD, I would just like to know why?

• bjm

FACT: You paint AMD in a negative light at every opportunity.

EVIDENCE: Your posting history.

• Anovoca

Eh, I think he enjoys pointing out stupid/redundant/short-sightedness no matter where he finds it. AMD offers him more opportunity to do so on a consistent basis than its competition.

• bjm

I wish that were the case because then he wouldn’t be so annoying. However, his pattern of behavior shown in his posting history says otherwise. I wouldn’t even go as far as saying he’s an nVidia or Intel fanboy. His praise for them isn’t out of hand. His hate for AMD on the other hand–eesh, it’s special.

• Klimax

Reminder: No evidence for alleged hate. Asserting “posting history” is not sufficent (Too general) – cannot be verified.

• Klimax

Evidence insufficient. Contains counter-evidence too.

And funnily no attempt to address question…

• flip-mode

Your question seems reasonable.

• bjm

Who said it’s an upgrade and why would you even think that? Yep, you got it, more strawmen arguments from chuckula.

• Jeff Kampman

I think the key point is “under $1000.”

• chuckula

Do we have a hard number for how far under?

At up to $750 or so I can see the argument for the card, but much more money than that there’s a real price-performance argument to be made for the obviously beefier Radeon Pro Duo that AMD specifically said is intended for the same market.

• the

The issue with the dual Fiji Radeon Pro Duo is that a good chunk of workstation don’t have space for the radiator. Similarly, not all have two 8 pin power connectors unless you have a workstation designed for multi-GPU setups.

The WX5100 and WX4100 don’t need any PCIe power connectors and can work off of bus power. The WX7100 is a different beast and needs a 6 pin connector but that is common for any workstation worthy of such a title.

• ronch

I hope PrincipalSkinner posts FIRST here again.

Edit – Oh wait.. Sorry, Skinner.