Nvidia will pay GeForce GTX 970 owners $30 over memory snafu

Nvidia's choice to fit the GeForce GTX 970 with two tiers of memory performance has been the subject of an incredible amount of discussion, memes, and controversy since the issue came to light a year and a half ago. Opinions are varied on whether the issue was actually an issue, but some folks took enough umbrage that they brought a class-action lawsuit against the green team almost immediately. That lawsuit has now reached a preliminary settlement, and Nvidia has agreed to pay out $30 to each GTX 970 buyer.

This news comes to us courtesy of Top Class Actions, who says that Nvidia agreed to pay all consumers who purchased the GTX 970 graphics card and "indicated there would not be a cap on the total amount it would pay consumers." This is only a preliminary settlement, though so the court still has to agree that the settlement is "fair, reasonable, and adequate." We'll keep our ears to the ground to see when the settlement passes muster, at which point we expect consumers will be able to apply for the payout.

• synthtel2

I just got an email from Newegg about a class-action relating to my GTX 960. I don’t have a 970, and the 970 wasn’t mentioned in the email. I wonder what happened there?

• synthtel2

Now I just got a follow-up email saying the last one was in error. That’s better.

• albundy

bring on the damages due to negligence! nice!

• ronch

If something like this made people sue Nvidia, how about AMD and their RX 480 which could do [u<]ACTUAL[/u<] damage to your other hardware, specifically your mobo? To put this into better perspective, class action lawsuits have also often been brought against car makers who fail to do recalls on potentially dangerous/destructive parts of cars or even simply misstated emissions levels (Volkswagen). Yes, automobile failure could result in injury but if something like this GTX 970 is enough to trigger a lawsuit, I don't think the RX 480 should escape the radar.

• taisserroots

“their 480 which could do actual damage to your motherboard” for the time it was unpatched, unless you were doing crazy things and running 3 in crossfire OC on a 970 chipset board with an 8 core OCed processor and killed your motherboard audio as a result no real damaeg would have occured.
      This was consumers being missold.
      Amd’s issue could be equivalent to a security error for a car. Except it was patched

• ronch

What about those guys who bought an RX 480 and fried their PCIe slots? If that happened to you, wouldn’t you sue? And even if you survived the week and got the new driver that supposedly balances power delivery to the card, how sure are you that no latent damage was done to the mobo?

• RAGEPRO

As far as I’m aware there’s only one confirmed report of RX 480s actually damaging someone’s motherboard, and that guy was running three of them, overclocked, in an altcoin mining rig where one of the cards was running off a 25W PCIe slot.

• ronch

What if a particular car maker says they’re not doing any recall because there has been only one documented incident of the brakes failing due to design Issues?

• Bensam123

What if someone cut their break lines and intentionally created an accident to blame the car maker because they wanted some buzz?

Essentially what the miner was doing… Also if he was smart he would be using powered risers and it wouldn’t matter how much wattage the card draws through PCIE.

• Bensam123

Yeah calling bullshit on this as well. It was running just barely out of PCIE spec (for the motherboard), mainly if you’re super OCing… I’m sure if everyone was frying their motherboards we’d hear about it… Yet, surprisingly, even in the age of clickbait and people willing to fry $200 GPUs for a headline, there is almost no one that has. Which means this was never really a issue and has been completely fixed.

• evilpaul

Although I agree the 480X issue was overblown and the report here is the only one I’ve seen of it causing known damage to anyone’s PC, wasn’t the max power draw something like 95W and the spec is 75W? That’s not “slightly” above spec. That’s 25% more power that the maximum.

I bought a 970 and wasn’t hugely upset about the 3.5GB thing, but wasn’t thrilled about it either. The 970 was the first high end GPU I’d ever bought. I think this next year we’ll see a lot of titles that actually need 4GB or greater VRAM. The only older ones I’ve heard of that were affected were Shadows of Mordor and maybe Max Payne 3.

I’ve since picked up a 1080, my first top of the line GPU, so it won’t really affect me though. A free $30 in a year when this lawsuit is settled and mailing checks would be nice though. It will probably be just in time to pick up some games on the Summer Steam sale that I won’t get around to playing until 2018.

• Bensam123

90w while being OC’d.

Everything looks better with percents when you’re trying to make a point. It was 15w above it while being heavily OC’d and that’s just the spec not necessarily what it takes to burn out boards… Which I’m sure people tried for the sake of making a headline.

If it was burning out boards AMD QA would’ve caught it as literally their test stations would be burning out traces. It was extremely blown out of proportion.

• Krogoth

The overwhelming majority of the PCIe issues with RX 480 were random restarts and power-offs when the GPU was being stressed test. They were on older pre-PCIe 3.0 era board too.

The 970’s issues that come from memory partitioning are mostly not a big deal. It is just extra micro-shuddering when the 970 is forced to use its second 512MiB partition. The problem was that Nvidia’s failed to properly disclose the nature of GM204’s binning and some curious enthusiast discovered it when they were stress-testing their 970s.

• Bensam123

From what I’ve read you lose about 50% of your performance when trying to hits > 3.5GB.

Most games now days never even get close to it, but that’s not really the point (also why 4GB RX 480s are well worth their price).

• Krogoth

Nah, it is more like extra shuddering because the silicon has to take “long path” to access the 512MiB partition.

• Skid

I’ll take US$30… that’s like what, CDN$100? 😛

• taisserroots

Almost a £30 here Kappa

• OneShotOneKill

Hmm… What percentage of the $30 dollars will make it to the secondary market (Ebay, etc..) as a discount?

• Froz

You can find the proposed settlement pdf here:

[url<]https://regmedia.co.uk/2016/07/28/nvidiasettlement.pdf[/url<] It is only for US residents. No idea if everyone who bought the GPU and lives in US is automatically "Settlement Class Member", but it looks like it.

• f0d

US only?
      well that sucks.!

• cynan

OT, but reminds me of the recent ludicrous 14.7 billion VW settlement. Save some of VWs money for the rest of the markets, geez.

Nice find. Looks like it’s not even going to be that much of a rigamarole.

• evilpaul

Looking at the proposed settlement it doesn’t list all the AIC manufacturers (MSI who manufactured mine is missing) and a lot of retailers (I bought mine at Microcenter). Are they cutting out a bunch of people from the settlement?

• YukaKun

The article doesn’t mention nVidia will pay the attorney fees, besides paying the 30 to the 970 owners.

So, I have a good feeling, those 30 bucks will actually reach 970 owners. For all the people that already sold their 970s though, I would imagine it won’t apply. Same for the 2nd+ owners.

Cheers!

Based on the link Froz posted, you have to submit a proof of purchase, not proof of ownership.

• bill94el

There’s a great case at the bottom of page 11 for a $50 settlement, which is where it should fall.

• Welch

If it’s anything like the recent class actions, you’ll probably have to prove you intended to use the entire full 4GB of RAM.

• puppetworx

Ouch, that’s the most popular single video card in the Steam hardware survey.

And that’s why you always disclose the true memory specs.

• taisserroots

It only applies to the USA, if only soe 970 owners could ask the same for the eu court as this is an eu wide issue to force Nvidia to do the same in Europe

• ozzuneoj

Wow, if I get $30 back I’ll have gotten my 970 for about $200, and I bought it in April of 2015. That’s a pretty sweet deal, and it makes me feel slightly better about having bought a card with the hopes of having something fairly high end when No Man’s Sky was released, only to have the game be delayed until after the next generation of cards came out.

• ozzuneoj

How did I get a thumb down for this?

lulz

Dunno (have to think it was someone jealous of your deal) but I gave you one here for complaining. Lol

• ozzuneoj

I love this place.

😀

(-1 BTW)

• chuckula

Yeah well…. it turns out that Pascal is just an overclocked gerbil on a wheel and Ngreedia lied about the whole thing!

So uh… where’s my $500 discount check?

• Redocbew

Did you buy 16.6 GTX 970’s? No?

Then, NO CHECK FOR YOU!

• taisserroots

A mule on cocaine and steroids is still on cocaine and steroids

• ronch

Chuckula mocking Nvidia? See, he’s neutral!

• anotherengineer

Nice, due to the Cnd$ value and taxes that would be like a 5% discount over the normal etail price before the 1070!!! wooot wooot

• cpucrust

Probably only valid in the USA.

• ThatStupidCat

Maybe Canada except Quebec?

• Prestige Worldwide

There would have to be a separate lawsuit / class action in Canada in order for Canadians to be eligible. US court has no jurisdiction here.

• watzupken

I have a feeling this proposed 30 bucks refund will only be applicable to buyers of GTX 970 before a certain date, i.e. before they owned up to the marketing goof up.

• f0d

none of the box’s or advertising had changed so when they owned up to it shouldnt matter because not everyone reads out these things on tech websites

if their box’s specs or advertising specs had changed then i would have agreed with you

• RoxasForTheWin

Neato, my 970 sli is the gift that keeps on giving. Could use 60$

• ImSpartacus

NVidia would probably do well to also offer a $50 coupon (or rebate?) to be used on a new graphics card.

Upgrade-hungry folks that are looking at Pascal releases would be tempted to take that rather than the $30 cash and it would probably be cheaper for Nvidia.

• south side sammy

they’re giving $30 “refunds” to cards purchased between when and when?

• Meadows

Who knows? The linked article doesn’t tell.

• evilpaul

The full text of the proposed settlement is here: [url<]https://regmedia.co.uk/2016/07/28/nvidiasettlement.pdf[/url<] (It was posted elsewhere in the comments.)

• ThatStupidCat

So $30 for you and the lawyers get the rest. Just kidding.

• south side sammy

no, you’re right. that pretty much sums it up.
        The $30…….. might not be in cash? but in some sort of price break on an nvidia product. so the fine in reality won’t really be as much as being reported……. me, I want the cash. it’ll also make it more “painful’ for the company to have to give cash. wouldn’t it be nice if game companies had to give back cash instead of some useless xp?

• torquer

Not a bad payoff for a tempest in a teacup.

• CScottG

I think it would have been nice to offer (as an alternative option), $120 off (instant rebate direct from Nvidia store only) on a single 1070 FE (or 1080 FE or new Titan). (..4 times the “refund”.)

-repeat business is good business (..and direct sales are the best way to monetize that).

• James296

nothing more then a slap on the hand

Given the fact that the majority of GTX 970 cards sold for around $330, and that was the e-tail price, it’s fair to say nVidia is getting charged something far greater than 10% of what they charged partners for GTX 970 silicon.

• Bensam123

Wake me when you can actually redeem. ~_~

• Pancake

Bonus! I bought my 970 after the controversy – best for performance/W at the time. If I could be bothered cashing in it’ll be one nice rib-eye dinner.

• JosiahBradley

If you just admitted you knowingly bought the device after light of a problem in marketing than you admit you were not tricked into the purchase by said marketing action. I think it would be easy in a court of law to dismiss your claim to a refund as you are investing into a scandal.

• smilingcrow

I am sure Nvidia would want to chase up these sort of cases as they have so many lawyers on standby it would cost them nothing. /S

• JosiahBradley

Both parties lying solves no problems, isn’t this what this suit is about?

• Pancake

I think you’ve been watching too much Perry Mason or Scooby Doo.

• ronch

Wouldn’t you rather have pancakes instead?

• Flapdrol

I think if you bought it after you can’t.

• DancinJack

$25 in fives and $5 in nickels, two months apart.

edit: redundant language.

• superjawes

I would say $25 US and $5 Canadian…

That’s only like $25.06 US.

• DancinJack

lol

• kvndoom

Cha-ching!

(although I’m sure I’ll forget about it and never get my money)