Deals of the week: a Dell G-Sync monitor for $470 and more

Happy Friday, gerbils. It's time for another round of the best PC hardware deals we could find on the web. Here's what we panned out this week.

• Best Buy has Dell's S2716DG G-Sync monitor for $469.99, no rebates or codes necessary. This 144-Hz display uses a 2560×1440 TN panel to show off its variable-refresh-rate magic. TFT Central thinks this display is a solid choice for gamers, but it might need some work with a colorimeter to be ideal for all-around use. We think this display is a solid choice for an entry-level 27" G-Sync monitor, and its price is near its historical low.

• Newegg has Gigabyte's GA-X99-Ultra Gaming motherboard for $239.99, $40 off its suggested price. This board is part of Gigabyte's recent salvo of refreshed X99 mobos, so it's bursting with features like M.2 and U.2 connectors, Intel Alpine Ridge USB 3.1 ports, RGB LED lighting throughout, and flashy red-and-white accents. Thunderbolt 3 support is about the only thing missing from the Ultra Gaming, but we can't complain for this price.

• Cooler Master's MasterCase Pro 5 is $124.99 at Newegg. That's the lowest price we've seen for this all-metal, highly modular case. The MasterCase Pro 5 has long impressed us with its blend of solid build quality, cooling performance, and quiet running. We didn't give it a TR Recommended award by accident.

• Intel's Core i5-6600K CPU is $234.99 at Newegg with promo code EMCELGM23. This quad-core Skylake chip comes with an unlocked multiplier for easy overclocking. It's a fixture of our Sweet Spot builds in recent System Guides. Just be sure to grab a CPU cooler if you're taking advantage of this deal—Intel doesn't incldue boxed heatsinks with its Skylake K-series CPUs.

• Need a Z170 motherboard to go with that Core i5-6600K? Newegg has the TR Recommended MSI Z170A SLI Plus for $109.99 today. That's a great price for a rock-solid Z170 mobo, and that price matches the board's historical low.

• Perhaps you're looking to build a small-form-factor firebreather. If so, Newegg has Gigabyte's GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Mini-ITX motherboard on sale for $134.99. That's a sweet price on a premium Mini-ITX mobo with built-in Wi-Fi, Alpine Ridge USB 3.1, and a rear-mounted M.2 slot.

• XFX's Radeon R9 Fury X soldiers on at $399.99. If you're looking for the fastest Radeon around right now to pair with a FreeSync monitor, the Fury X is it. Newegg is sweetening the deal this week with a $10 gift card.

There's a chance you're looking for a deal on something we didn't feature here. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at the Microsoft Store, the HP Store, and Das Keyboard's shop.

That's it for this week. If you find a deal that we overlooked, be sure to share it with other TR readers in the comments.

• Khali

If you rather not deal with Best Buy you can still pick up the Dell S2716DG monitor for the same price from Amazon.

[url<]https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DG-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0[/url<]

Still waiting for a curved ultrawide with a VESA mount that doesn’t cost a thousand bucks.

• Shobai

Hey Jeff, a couple plus of things editing missed:

[quote<]Intel doesn't incldue[/quote<] under the i5 6600k deal And Bruno has fixed the Sam's Club referral link for the previous two Deals of the Week outings, but the one you've copied still points at Best Buy

• GrimDanfango

Dear Dell,
    When are you going to release that 30″ OLED monitor?
    When are you then going to release a g-sync version of it?

I suppose however long it takes, will probably not be long enough for me to save the cash required to actually buy it… but then once the first one hits the market, surely it won’t be so long until cheaper ones.

Or… we’ll still be here in another 10 years, still waiting for OLED to really, truly take over the display market 😛

• mesyn191

Cheap OLED is maybe 2019-2020. Cheap-er OLED is maybe 2018. When Dell releases their monitor has no bearing on when cheaper OLED monitors are coming since the bottleneck is in manufacturing the panel itself and not demand or OEM interest.

If in 10yr OLED is still niche it’ll never take over the market. The only way OLED really makes sense financially for the big panel manufacturers is if they scale up production to high volume while drastically reducing costs.

If they can’t do that it’ll go nowhere. Right now its looking like the OLED manufacturers were far too optimistic about how soon they could scale production volume and how well they could reduce costs of production.

• Anovoca

This is normally where I would come in and QQ that this thing isn’t IPS; but tbh, at this price I could get the monitor plus a second IPS monitor and still have money left over compared to most IPS gysnc panels.

• ColeLT1

Same here, I went from IPS
      (now my secondary) to this Dell TN GSYNC monitor and love it.

• chuckula

++ on that Dell S2716DG monitor there. I own one and it is a very nice 2560×1440 144Hz display.

• mullio

++ too, very happy. Seemed to me that the only way to get one really significantly better (34″ 1440p etc with GSync) was to drop a grand. Went with this instead and it will keep me gaming until 5K 120Hz displays come out.

• Billstevens

I think the switch to OLED and HDR will be far more impressive than 5k.

• Airmantharp

I just picked up Acer’s Predator IPS with the same basic specs… not entirely sure I should keep it, all things considered, as I still have my 30″ IPS for photography if need be.

Still, that Predator is a *nice* screen, with the only possible failing being the blacks. How do you find those on this TN Dell?

• chuckula

The screen quality is what I call “good TN” which is to say that an IPS will generally be better but the color quality is good enough that you don’t feel you are looking at a crappy TN display.

The blacks are actually pretty good with these displays and at least the monitor I have does not appear to have much noticeable light bleed in videos. It’s the color reproduction where these displays, while not bad, still aren’t as good as a quality IPS. The tradeoff of course is a 144Hz refresh rate and a fairly reasonable pricetag for this category.

• Airmantharp

Well, I have a calibrator and TFTC shows that color can be made essentially perfect for consumer/amateur use. Really, I’m wondering if I might *gain* better blacks over the IPS panel, but reading through their review and comparing to similar IPS models, it looks like a wash :/.

• chuckula

Good calibration FTW with these displays. They don’t come perfect out of the box, but you can definitely improve that with your calibrator.

• DancinJack

Through the reviews at TFTCentral and others, I don’t think you’re going to get better blacks out of that Dell screen. I really think you should stick with your beautiful IPS screen you have now.

• Voldenuit

Unless gaming is a priority. I can’t go back to 60 Hz gaming anymore.

• Airmantharp

I more or less agree. The main thing I was going for with G-Sync was the basic premise that you could get V-Sync without input lag. That feature *alone* is one hell of an upgrade.

However, I haven’t seen higher refresh rates and lower persistence since I was running CRTs, and man is that addictive!