Dell SE2717H offers 27″ of affordable FreeSync goodness

It's good fun to talk about GTX 1080s and Titan Xes, but the fact remains that most people's budgets can't quite stretch to those cards. That same rule applies to monitors, too. Think of a big but decent monitor, with a price tag that your Average Gamer would find reasonable, and chances are you'd come up with Dell's SE2717H.

The SE2717H is a 27" monitor with a resolution of 1920×1080 and a maximum refresh rate of 75 Hz. It has a couple tricks up its sleeve, though. First and foremost, the display supports FreeSync VRR technology, providing smooth, tear-free gaming with compatible Radeon graphics cards. If anyone's wondering, the display's FreeSync range goes from 48 to 75 Hz. Second, the screen is based on IPS display panel tech, which should let users enjoy good color accuracy and viewing angles. Response time rings in at 6 ms.

Dell says the screen can show 16.7 million colors at a maximum brightness of 300 cd/m² and with a contrast ratio of 1000:1. The input connectivity section offers HDMI and plain ol' VGA inputs. Extra niceties include a flicker-free backlight and optional blue light reduction. The Dell SE2717H rings in at a palatable $250, making it an affordable ticket into the world of variable-refresh-rate goodness.

• odizzido

[quote<]First and foremost, the display supports variable refresh technology, providing smooth, tear-free gaming with any graphics cards from companies which support open standards.[/quote<] I think that's what you meant to write. BTW doesn't intel do variable refresh as well on their latest hardware?

• Firestarter

Not yet. Maybe Kaby Lake will have it, maybe not, we haven’t heard anything definitive from Intel on that front as far as I know

• ermo

Assuming one buys a display like this to use with an AMD GPU supporting FreeSync, is there any reason at all to NOT cap the driver FPS to the max refresh rate of the display (75Hz in this case)?

• Pwnstar

The same reason anybody lets a game run faster than the monitor: reduction of input lag and less simulation sickness.

• BobbinThreadbare

Freesync IPS sounds nice. Make 16:10 (and either 24″ or bigger resolution) and you got yourself a sale Dell.

• XTF

Who needs 16:10?
      1920 x 1536 or 2048 x 1536 please!

• kamikaziechameleon

Still hoping posting my desires in here will get me what I want. 40″ 4k free sync/Gsync IPS or OLED panel. Better yet is an ultra wide 40″ 5K screen… oh boy.

• XTF

[quote<]The input connectivity section offers HDMI and plain ol' VGA inputs.[/quote<] Why no DP?

• Fieryphoenix

I would choose a high fixed refresh rate over a low variable one any day of the week.

• travbrad

Me too but I don’t know of any 27″ 144hz monitors for this cheap, and at least this one is 75hz which is noticeably smoother than 60hz. Looks pretty good if you just want a relatively cheap decent monitor.

• LostCat

I still haven’t decided if I should get a decent Freesync mon or a cheap one to tide me over until I can build for HDR stuff.

• rudimentary_lathe

If Dell ever has one of their famous monitor sales on this model I might just scoop it up. It’s not perfect, but if it ever went on sale for $175-$200 it would be decent introduction to FreeSync while we wait for the 1440p and 4K prices to descend from the stratosphere.

• XTF

25″ and 27″ 1440p prices are quite reasonable aren’t they? It’s 30″ 1600p that remains expensive.

• tay

Like the others here I’d like to join the Dell love-in but does anyone know why freesync has such atrocious minimum refresh rates? If I could get a minimum 30 Hz free sync monitor then I’d pick up an RX 480 or 470.
    [s<]Especially since with an AMD card you'll be running at 30 fps more often than with an Nvidia card[/s<]

• Voldenuit

[quote<] does anyone know why freesync has such atrocious minimum refresh rates? [/quote<] From what I've read, it's got to do with the pixel decay times on panels. G-sync manages low refresh rates because the g-sync module has an internal buffer. If it's waiting too long and a new frame hasn't arrived yet, the g-sync monitor forces a refresh of the pixels with the last frame stored in the buffer. I had read somewhere that AMD was investigating doing something similar on the GPU end, but don't know if they got around to it.

• DPete27

AMD implemented that a while ago. It’s coined low framerate compensation (LFC).

The minimum and maximum refresh rates are dependent on the panel used. It has nothing to do with freesync vs gsync

• bhappy

Low framerate compensation doesn’t work on a lot of freesync monitors. Including this one as it does not meet the minimum requirements. (maximum refresh rate ≥ 2.5x minimum refresh rates) So freesync wouldn’t be a great selling point for this monitor unless you can always keep your frame rates within the very narrow refresh rate range.

• XTF

Where does the 2.5x come from?
            If the framerate does drop below 48fps the GPU (or display) would have to enable frame doubling but this then limits the fps to 37.5..

• bhappy

From AMD on their LFC implementation. [url<]https://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-lfc.pdf[/url<] Freesync monitors that don't meet the minimum requirements such as this monitor, don't support any LFC regardless of the fps. According to PCPer, AMD's LFC implementation that they tested is inferior to their experience using G-SYNC.

• Voldenuit

Thanksfor the info.

Dug up the pcper test if anyone’s interested: [url<]http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Improves-FreeSync-and-Frame-Pacing-Support[/url<] As bhappy said, the article confirms that 48-75 Hz Freesync monitors like the Dell SE2717h do not support low framerate compensation, so buyer beware.

• Voldenuit

Oh, another thing:

The Dell SE2717H uses a 6-bit IPS panel with FRC.
            And it has no DP port, only HDMI (1.4) and VGA.

Looks like they’ve cut so many corners the monitor might as well be oval.

• Hattig

Freesync monitors really are the suger coating when you buy an AMD card – whilst I am a bit sniffy about the 1080p resolution of this monitor it would go very nicely with a RX 470.

Freesync will provide a nicer gaming experience than another 10 fps average on a non-freesync monitor.

• UberGerbil

Can’t argue with the price, but a lot of people here are going to be wishing a monitor that size was 2560×1440 instead.

Dell seems to consistently deliver a better product at the same price with the same panels compared to most of the other big names (no-name Korean stuff obviously excepted). Nobody seems to talk about it very much, but it’s kind of amazing that whoever has been running Dell’s monitor division has been pumping out quality products at reasonable prices for over a decade now, despite everything that has happened to Dell in particular and the OEM PC market in general in that time.

• chuckula

While I don’t own this model personally I can ++ Dell monitors in general, and I’ve never even bought a Dell PC for my own use in my life.

• Pancake

My 2408WFP died 3 years into it’s life. I can’t remember but I would have spent over $1000 dollaroos on it which is a pretty awful return on investment. It turned out to be a common fault. But how could I tell – I bought it when the model was new so no user history.

Running with two U3011’s currently. No problems yet, touch wood.

Google voraciously any information on Dell products. Don’t buy newly released models. Dell don’t make much of the tech in the monitors – certainly not the panels. Hard to guarantee quality.

• Rectal Prolapse

I’ll agree with the googling! I have a Dell UP2414Q – it’s an MST monitor, but it has a flaw in that it frequently (once every day or every second day on power up) loses sync between the two sides. Usually the left half is fine, but the right half will sometimes corrupt and get massive banding and half the horizontal lines lose one channel of color. Or one side updates faster than another which looks really weird when scrolling.

My understanding is that it’s a race condition that causes one side to have issues.

The input lag is horrendous, but my cool workaround is to put it in Game mode (preset) and then change it back to my desired preset. For some reason it removes the lag!

Aside from that, great monitor – excellent color, minimal anti-glare coating, sRGB mode, no PWM.

I didn’t return the monitor because I was worried that a replacement would have a firmware fix that would also remove my Game mode workaround. I still like gaming on it! 😛

Oh and one more thing – with the newer NVIDIA drivers, they suddenly allow me to output to the UP2414Q in 10 bit color mode. I have no idea if the monitor renders it though – the dithering is VERY good so I can’t tell the difference.

• kalelovil

Depending on the country you live in (Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Canada at least have such consumer protection laws), you may be able to make a claim against the seller that that did not constitute a ‘reasonable lifespan’ for such an expensive product.

• JustAnEngineer

My UltraSharp 2000FP’s backlight died after only twelve years of daily use.

My current desktop looks like 3/4 of this: [url<]http://www.ubergizmo.com/reviews/dell-3007wfp-30-inch-lcd-monitor-review/[/url<]

• Vaughn

27′ 1080p no thanks.

• morphine

If it was 2560×1440, it’d never be $250.

As for Dell monitor quality improvements, I think that has to do with two things:

1) Dell went from being public to private. I think that’s been a sea change, because they could probably focus on doing things the right way instead of just low-end, low-margin cheap stuff.

2) Most of their monitor range has a zero bright dot policy, and plenty of models have a deltaE < 3 guarantee.

• demani

Their monitor lineup has been solid for a lot longer than they’ve been private. There isn’t a reason that Samsung or LG should be worse at this than Dell given how much of the package they make, but somehow Dell has consistently been skating to where the puck is going to be. And we all are better for it.

Hey, how about a poll on Monitor brands?

• Pbryanw

+1 to that poll. I’ve always bought Dell monitors for as long as I can remember (currently using a U2515H).

It’s the same reason I always purchase Corsair PC Cases, Logitech Keyboards & Mice and Asus motherboards – a guaranteed level of quality 🙂

• BobbinThreadbare

Or 2560×1600!

• kamikaziechameleon

You need to examine the Asus monitors. They offer some great TN panels, and I mean I have one of theirs side by side with my IPS… its impressive. They have done a good job of controlling price even better, trimming ancillary functions and keeping the core of the product strong.

• Lane

My 2405FPW is still going strong 11 years later. I kind of wish it would die so I could get some 4K goodness, but as long as it keeps going, I have a hard time justifying its replacement.

• PrincipalSkinner

I’ll back this up as an owner of U2311h.