HP’s Elite x3 Win10 phablet will go up for order September 5

Remember that Elite X3 phablet from HP? The six-inch Windows 10 phone could be the device that delivers on all the promise of Windows Continuum. Earlier in the year, HP said it was targeting a late-July release for the phone, but a quick search doesn't find it listed anywhere for sale. HP confirmed early last month that it would begin selling the phone bundled with desk and lap-oriented docks August 29, but it wasn't clear when the phone would be available by itself. That is, until yesterday. Neowin got a statement from HP in which the company said the phone will start selling through its website on September 5.

In case you missed it, the HP Elite X3 is a business-oriented Windows 10 Mobile smartphone. It uses a 6" AMOLED display to show off its UWP apps, and it's powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 SoC. Both as a high-end phone and as a phablet, the device is pretty unusual in the Windows 10 Mobile ecosystem, and it has quite a few features (like an iris scanner) usually found only on the latest superphones from Samsung or Apple. HP says the phone will be $799 bundled with the desk dock, or $699 by itself.

• A_Pickle

If this had Windows 10, I’d be all over it.

Unfortunately, it has the equivalent of Windows RT, so it is, for all intents and purposes, a stone tablet to me.

Ugh.

HP and tablets just don’t have a good historical track record.

Also, it looks dated despite not being released yet and Windows Mobile is a dead platform (or am I thinking Windows 10 Phone?)

• Vaughn

I’m looking forward to getting my hands on one, already spoke to our HP vendor.

Getting one for Free!

• dyrdak

then it’s definitely worth the price

• sweatshopking

If you hate it, mail it to me!!!!

• nizer

I really hope this device gets a fair chance and evaluation. I believe the HP Elite X3 can be a great productivity and business device. Hell, I work in education and science and I find great value in my Lumia 950.

• sweatshopking

it won’t.

• End User

[quote<][url=https://techreport.com/news/29750/hp-elite-x3-phone-is-a-mighty-morphin-productivity-powerhouse<]HP will provide a method of virtualizing x86 apps on the Elite x3 for users who need it, though[/url<][/quote<] Hello no. Windows is about native x64, CPU/GPU power, gobs of memory, and expandability. The x3 takes Windows and makes it irrelevant. The reverse is also true.

• willmore

Rumor is the next release of Windows for IoT will have x86 and x86_64 emulation via a JIT.

• tipoo

Can I just say, HPs design language is such chickenscratch.

• ronch

That bar at the bottom is so… Ugh.

• tipoo

Like a rappers grills

• sweatshopking

unnnhhhhh the 950 and 950xl have had an iris scanner since october….
    Not sure what else is unusual either. It’s basically the same phone as an xl with a newer soc.
    the only real difference is support for win32 applications through server side emulation.
    The biggest issue for windows phones is that nobody in the media takes time to actually learn what they even do or have, so the consumers never know, which means no sales, which means fewer apps. The Samsung and apple “super phones” have been behind MS in many regards for years, but nobody reports on it, so they’re ignored. Much of that is classic MS though.

• cygnus1

yeah, updated 950xl with dock available. When these are x86 and run any old win32 app, that’s when I’ll consider replacing a laptop with this. But I can’t see, for me, a time when Windows Phone replaces my iPhone because of the lack of quantity AND quality in the touch apps on Windows Phone. Maybe UWP will improve the quality of and speed up the growth of the app library, but I doubt it will happen any time soon.

• sweatshopking

with atom dead, win32 isn’t coming natively.

• cygnus1

exactly. definitely not for the foreseeable future. Kind of makes me sad, because I was hoping one day for a WinPhone type device that can pop into a laptop shell that could basically replace a laptop and a phone. But for me, if it doesn’t have Win32, it’s a no go. The UWP WinPhone ecosystem just has too many negatives and zero positives over iOS or Android and that makes me sad.

• sweatshopking

UI, reliability, security, integration with desktop are all positives. The negatives are really only UI (if you don’t like it) and apps.
            that’s more than enough for some people.

• cygnus1

I can’t agree with any of those positives. The Windows Mobile UI doesn’t matter inside an app, because all the cross platform ones don’t really follow OS paradigms (tabs/pivots) anyway. For mobile, reliability isn’t any better or worse than competition, security is lessor than competition as Apple has best track record on timely mobile security patching. Integration with desktop is non-existent if you don’t want to use skype or the other crap desktop apps that MS forces to be used for integration. Apple firmly wins on desktop integration if you happen to have a Mac due to Messages/Facetime/Handoff. I can only say that because after about 8 years of being an iPhone using Windows user, I finally broke down and bought a Macbook earlier this year when my windows laptop finally bit the dust. I have a Lumia 640 that I bought when they were practically free just to be able to try out the experience. Tried with Win8 and Win10, but both are really very lacking in a lot of areas.

• sweatshopking

ummm windows phone has for literally years been repeatedly tested as the most secure smartphone OS. While many cross platform apps do use the same ui, many don’t, and they generally all look (subjectively) better on wm10 than ios. back buttons everywhere and all that.
            Of course apple wins on OSX integration, but is non-existent if you don’t want to use imessage or the other crap desktop apps that apple forces to be used for integration (btw, windows 10 can work with any app, just needs developers to implement it, as many have already done and more are doing). I don’t even get your point here. OF COURSE APPLE IS BETTER ON APPLE. I feel like that goes without saying.
            I’ve also tried ios 8 and 9 but both are really very lacking in a lot of areas.

• terranup16

(waves hand). <3 my Icon!

• Srsly_Bro

After the wedding you should come down to Washington.

• sweatshopking

i’m going to alberta, and then buying another house on the east coast, so I have to manage all that. and aren’t you in florida?!

• Srsly_Bro

Nah. Check Skype. I’ve been up here now since 2 weeks ago. Are you surprising Kate with a ranch and new horses?

• oldog

I read a really interesting book on vacation in the Greek Isles this year, “The Accidental Superpower”.

It claimed that Alberta could become the 51st State after it breaks away from Canada (the author thought that secession scenario was very possible).

Great book by the way. A very interesting look at geopolitics including Canada. Here’s the Amazon link.

[url<]https://www.amazon.com/Accidental-Superpower-Generation-American-Preeminence/dp/1455583669[/url<]

• sweatshopking

Not likely due to the oil crash. They’re begging for cash from the federal government.

• RAGEPRO

Fair complaints. I know nothing about smartphones in general, though, so it’s less a matter of “ignorance bias” and more just plain ignorance.

Dunno why you got downvoted. I should’ve done more research.

• sweatshopking

To be fair, your article is as accurate as any I’ve read from people who exclusively do mobile. So don’t beat yourself up. I’m also VERY pleased to see you even made an effort to cover windows mobile. So please continue.

I’ve been saying tr needs a guy to watch mobile for a long time. I’ve even offered myself, but sadly ever since Jeff and I got in a fight over a civ v game he lost (fairly, regardless of what he says) he hasn’t wanted to hire me back to tr.